Jump to content
FLBillsGuy

Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

Recommended Posts

It's a joke he is not getting more touches. Is he not showing these flashes in practice? He must be. Give him more touches and see how he does. Time is not a luxury here. He could be a game changer. He can't be tackled. He would sell a boat load of jerseys in UK. Millions of new UK fans. $$$. Shady and Gore will be hurt. Too old beat up horses. This guy needs to be available to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Not really much of a gamble at all. At this point he's competing to be the 53rd man on a 53 man roster. His main competition? (1) Andre Roberts, proven very good return man who was also a decent 4th receiver a few years ago. (2) Isaiah McKenzie, a U.S. version of Wade, cut by the Broncos because he could not hang onto the ball and basically freely available last year. So you keep Wade and he goes all Broncos McKenzie on you; no big deal, you find another McKenzie on the street. Not all teams carry a return specialist, but many do. And watching Wade in preseason and over a long rugby career, you have to conclude that there's more upside there than we see with many other guys. So I'm inclined to take a flyer on him ... let him play a little against the 1s and 2s in the last couple preseason games, and let him return punts (we already know what Roberts and McKenzie can do). If he shows any similar flashes and hangs onto the ball, there's minimal risk in keeping him and lots of potential upside as you gradually work him into a Tarik Cohen role. Sometimes you gotta take a chance if you want to finally beat that team that's finished ahead of you 19 years in a row.

 

Hes clearly an elite athlete with transferable skills. If he can play ST, I think he’s got a shot the 53.

 

we all know this FO has no issue with old RBs. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, HOF4LOU said:

It's a joke he is not getting more touches. Is he not showing these flashes in practice? He must be. Give him more touches and see how he does. Time is not a luxury here. He could be a game changer. He can't be tackled. He would sell a boat load of jerseys in UK. Millions of new UK fans. $$$. Shady and Gore will be hurt. Too old beat up horses. This guy needs to be available to play.

 

 

Do you not think the coaches see him in practice?  Do you not see that his teammates love him and the plays?

 

It seems pretty obvious that they recognize his talent, but he is not ready for a more extended role.  In training Camp he routinely struggled getting his hands right for a simple handoff - and was getting one on one training with coaches and players from what I saw. Yet we still saw issue that in his one carry in game 1.

 

He is learning things like how to block, but he is still a long way from being ready to handle routine Blitz pick-up or understanding the timing of swinging out to get a dump off.  He struggles understanding blocking - including downfield blocking by his own guys  - as seen in game 2.

 

Even if he made the 53 man roster - he would not be activated on game days.  They are not sitting McCoy, Gore, Devon, or Dimarco.  They 4th RB is most likely Perry or Yeldon - both of which would have specialized roles on either special teams or as a 3rd down pass catcher.  Neither of which Wade is ready for yet.

 

I just do not see a team utilizing a player on both the 53 man roster and the active game day roster that is so limited in experience that he can only be used in a a few plays - especially if the league has designed a way for you to keep him and let him learn on the PS without losing another young talent.

 

Wade has a ton of talent and upside and it is infectious to see how the team celebrated his 2 plays, but right now he is a professional athlete playing against 4th sting guys that he is simply more athletic than and the team does not seem to think he is read for extended time even in the 4th quarter - let alone moving up to play against the 1s and 2s. 

 

Just give it time and be patient and let the team do what is best for Wade and the Bills.

 

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bargepole said:

ccording to the Salary Cap chart, Wade is already on a salary of $495,000, same as Singletary. This is roughly the same as what he would have earned if he had stayed in England playing Rugby.

 

But I really can't see that he would be interested in cooling his heels in the PS, this is a guy who needs to be playing every week. He has said this in many interviews. If the Bills don't include him in the 53, and another franchise doesn't pick him, I can see him reverting to his original Plan B, which is to go and play rugby in the Southern Hemisphere (Australia, New Zealand or South Africa).

 

So Sean McDermott has a decision to make - put him on the roster, or risk having Wade rip the Bills' defence to shreds wearing a Jets shirt.

 

Huh?  If Wade leaves because he's unhappy on the PS and not the roster, he won't be back in the NFL, much less for the Jets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Don't know if this is correct, But I'll put it here.

 

 

 

 

SO it sounds like he goes directly to the PS no waivers involved ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

SO it sounds like he goes directly to the PS no waivers involved ?

 

Yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

 

 

SO it sounds like he goes directly to the PS no waivers involved ?

I believe so, but there's not one person I've seen discuss this that knows for sure. All articles I've read make it sound like he makes it to our practice squad provided the Bills place him there. There's no mention of him having to clear waivers.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

He has the 2 biggest plays on the preseason on 2 touches.

The dude is 28...next year he will be 29

 

He also has 2.0 YPC in Carolina

and a Drop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOF4LOU said:

It's a joke he is not getting more touches. Is he not showing these flashes in practice? He must be. Give him more touches and see how he does. Time is not a luxury here. He could be a game changer. He can't be tackled. He would sell a boat load of jerseys in UK. Millions of new UK fans. $$$. Shady and Gore will be hurt. Too old beat up horses. This guy needs to be available to play.

It's a joke people take preseason so seriously...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is not making the team. This is one of those feel good stories like when they give the kid with terminal cancer a carry and let him run for a touchdown and everyone goes nuts. Just enjoy the moment until real football starts :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

 

He also has 2.0 YPC in Carolina

and a Drop. 

Lol. That was a horrendous pass from Jackson if I recall correctly. 

 

Not nearly as blatant as other drops throughout the preseason from football lifers that also havnt shown the ability to break 2 different huge plays in minimal touches. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Lol. That was a horrendous pass from Jackson if I recall correctly. 

 

Not nearly as blatant as other drops throughout the preseason from football lifers that also havnt shown the ability to break 2 different huge plays in minimal touches. 

It bounced right off his hands.. HANDS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only we had a bona fide Hollywood screenwriter here at TSW:

 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/08/duke-williams-thrives-tyree-jackson-struggles-12-buffalo-bills-who-helped-or-hurt-roster-odds-vs-panthers.html

 

Someone in Hollywood should probably start writing a script on Christian Wade. The former rugby player’s feel good story continued against the Panthers. One week after he took his first NFL carry 65 yards for a touchdown, Wade almost scored on his first NFL reception. The running back broke multiple tackles on a short pass from Tyree Jackson and took the ball 48 yards down the field.

 

He fell just shy of scoring another touchdown, but he once again brought life to Buffalo’s sideline.

"I could feel the sideline. Like, it felt like a tidal wave about to come over me, you know? That was another special moment for Christian and our team,” Sean McDermott told the media following the Bills’ win.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Warcodered said:

So he can't be taken off of waivers but at the end of the season he becomes an unrestricted free agent that last part kinda sucks.

Exactly. Sort of defeats purpose of putting him on PS for Bills if this means other teams can sign him not year.  Yes he is another body for practice but that is not much especially since due to NFLPA there is very little contact practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Lol. That was a horrendous pass from Jackson if I recall correctly. 

 

Not nearly as blatant as other drops throughout the preseason from football lifers that also havnt shown the ability to break 2 different huge plays in minimal touches. 

And ANY Back on the roster could have done the same. In the same situation as wade. 

  • Skeptical 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

 

He also has 2.0 YPC in Carolina

and a Drop. 

 

There should be a special category for dropping one of Tyree's tumblers.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And ANY Back on the roster could have done the same. In the same situation as wade. 

Could have but haven’t 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

 

 

Do you not think the coaches see him in practice?  Do you not see that his teammates love him and the plays?

 

It seems pretty obvious that they recognize his talent, but he is not ready for a more extended role.  In training Camp he routinely struggled getting his hands right for a simple handoff - and was getting one on one training with coaches and players from what I saw. Yet we still saw issue that in his one carry in game 1.

 

He is learning things like how to block, but he is still a long way from being ready to handle routine Blitz pick-up or understanding the timing of swinging out to get a dump off.  He struggles understanding blocking - including downfield blocking by his own guys  - as seen in game 2.

 

Even if he made the 53 man roster - he would not be activated on game days.  They are not sitting McCoy, Gore, Devon, or Dimarco.  They 4th RB is most likely Perry or Yeldon - both of which would have specialized roles on either special teams or as a 3rd down pass catcher.  Neither of which Wade is ready for yet.

 

I just do not see a team utilizing a player on both the 53 man roster and the active game day roster that is so limited in experience that he can only be used in a a few plays - especially if the league has designed a way for you to keep him and let him learn on the PS without losing another young talent.

 

Wade has a ton of talent and upside and it is infectious to see how the team celebrated his 2 plays, but right now he is a professional athlete playing against 4th sting guys that he is simply more athletic than and the team does not seem to think he is read for extended time even in the 4th quarter - let alone moving up to play against the 1s and 2s. 

 

Just give it time and be patient and let the team do what is best for Wade and the Bills.

 

 

Exactly. A year on the PS learning the complete game. He could well make the 53 in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Could have but haven’t 

 

 

Really has Shady Gore Singletary Gone Against Future Insurance salesman and have a hole that you can drive a truck thru and a play where it was pop warner tackling?

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I believe so, but there's not one person I've seen discuss this that knows for sure. All articles I've read make it sound like he makes it to our practice squad provided the Bills place him there. There's no mention of him having to clear waivers.

My question has been that it seems obvious he doesn't have to clear waivers to be 11th PS member. But then he can't play. What happens if the Bills WANT to have him available this season and put him on the PS as one of their 10. Not the freebie. Surely he would have to go through waivers. But can they do that is the question. 

 

I haven't seen that addressed in articles. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

My question has been that it seems obvious he doesn't have to clear waivers to be 11th PS member. But then he can't play. What happens if the Bills WANT to have him available this season and put him on the PS as one of their 10. Not the freebie. Surely he would have to go through waivers. But can they do that is the question. 

 

I haven't seen that addressed in articles. 

I believe I saw this being discussed yesterday and I was under the impression they could put him on the PS as one of their 10, but he would be subject to waivers beforehand. I was looking up everything I could find on this yesterday and came to one conclusion....There's nothing but vaguely written rules regarding this program.😂😂  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

 

Really has Shady Gore Singletary Gone Against Future Insurance salesman and have a hole that you can drive a truck thru and a play where it was pop warner tackling?

First off. There isn’t a single back on the roster outrunning the colts db’s like that other than wade. Get a clue man. Dude passed them like they were standing still. 

 

And 2nd. Maybe you’re right and basically every single other person on the board is wrong. That seems about right. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...