Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

He can be waived and if no one claims him he may be placed on the PS squad and be eligible to be called up (Not 100% on that). There seems to be conflicting info on the internet about this.

However if he is placed on the PS squad using the 11th man designation for international players he is ineligible for call ups

If he's on the regular 10-man PS, he can be called up.  Using the 11th spot, no.

I know this board is full of well-wishers who want to see our former players succeed on other teams. That’s so great. It warms my heart. Truly. It does. 

I root for the laundry. While it would be ideal for Wade to spend a year on the PS and wear our laundry, he’s still going to be a FA next year armed with the all the knowledge and skills we gave him. He will also learn to go where the money/fame/winning is. Unfortunately for us, it isn’t here just yet. And this isn’t his hometown so to expect any special treatment is daft. 

The cold truth is that if we don’t sign him to the 53 man roster, he’s gone. Either on the PS that we can’t call him up on, and FA afterwards, or waivers in which another team will take him. The only choice is to sign him to the roster and stash another RB on the PS. We can always call up from the PS and Wade is gone anyway otherwise. 

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

If he's on the regular 10-man PS, he can be called up.  Using the 11th spot, no.

if he is given the 11th international player spot then definitely no. If he is waived and resigned to the PS then he is fair game at any point... That is the way I am taking it

10 minutes ago, benderbender said:

I know this board is full of well-wishers who want to see our former players succeed on other teams. That’s so great. It warms my heart. Truly. It does. 

I root for the laundry. While it would be ideal for Wade to spend a year on the PS and wear our laundry, he’s still going to be a FA next year armed with the all the knowledge and skills we gave him. He will also learn to go where the money/fame/winning is. Unfortunately for us, it isn’t here just yet. And this isn’t his hometown so to expect any special treatment is daft. 

The cold truth is that if we don’t sign him to the 53 man roster, he’s gone. Either on the PS that we can’t call him up on, and FA afterwards, or waivers in which another team will take him. The only choice is to sign him to the roster and stash another RB on the PS. We can always call up from the PS and Wade is gone anyway otherwise. 

If he spends the year on the PS squad more than likely he is going to come to Bill scamp next year. he has the knowlegde of the system and he has a year of working with the team. I seriously wouldn't worry about losing Wade... Not even a little concerned here myself.

there is not a team in this league that is going to sign him to a deal that puts him on a 53 man roster this year without seeing a lot more. Nobody is going to back up the truck to sign him next offseason either. Two long runs against scrubs with 4 or 5 months of American football experience is not closing that deal

Edited by ddaryl

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

I guess what disappoints is the fact that Some of our fans don't realize how much more the game is besides busting a long play or 2. Wade does..  which is a great thing. He's dialed in on what it takes to be a pro football player here.

When you don't have the ball in your hand you have dozens of other intricate obligations, and these take time to develop. For most players it was a decade or more of development

The same applies in Rugby - it isn't just about running into open space with ball in hand. You have to be aware of the situation on the field, what your teammates are doing, and support the attacking play in many different ways. As a winger, you also have to be prepared to step in to the scrum half position when your regular scrum half is buried at the bottom of a ruck.

Then you also have to perform defensive duties when the other team have the ball (there isn't a separate defence team in Rugby), this includes tackling runners, fielding punts, closing down space, and so on.

So if he can do all that and be considered one of the best in one game, he can do it in another - the two are not that dissimilar, Walter Camp changed the rules of Rugby to create American Football only about 100 years ago.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I'm relaxed just confused at the inability of some Bills fans to separate fantasy from reality here. For some here it is rocket science if you back track through the pages of this thread.

I do share the sentiment of the underdog. I'm pulling for him long term.  But it makes NO sense at all to give him reps with the 1s this week. Imagine he might see a few plays with the 2s. But week 3 is the final regular season tune up for the starters

No fantasy here- would just like to see what this cat can do with the big boys. Lets just hope for a great season- we all deserve it.

• Like (+1) 1