Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

I get the appeal of Wade but pure athletic talent isn't enough to be an NFL starter. He is still learning the fundamentals of his position and there's a lot more nuance to it than breaking tackles from 3rd stringers. The practice squad is perfect for him. Next year he might be ready to play for real.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Dude.  Do you see my username?

I'm a big shady fan. 

Shady isn’t what he used to be OR at least hasn’t proven he is what he once was. 

Against actual NFL Talent I agree. But to say he couldn’t embarrass future insurance salesmen is pretty disingenuous. Just like when he made the Starting Panther break his ankle on his shifty move on the pass catch he had. 

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

The fact that you actually watched how quick wade pulled away during that run and think shady has that sort of top end..... is absurd. 

Does Wade have too end speed or where those DBs barley adequate NFL speed? 

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I get the appeal of Wade but pure athletic talent isn't enough to be an NFL starter. He is still learning the fundamentals of his position and there's a lot more nuance to it than breaking tackles from 3rd stringers. The practice squad is perfect for him. Next year he might be ready to play for real.

I’ve said this a handful of other times and I’m gonna say it again. I really would like to see him get some burn with the KR/PR units. That open field rugby style and the speed seem to be a good match for those duties and it doesn’t take the football IQ that being dependable a starting NFL RB takes. 

Im not even saying he makes it that way but I dunno how they can’t be curious there. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I’ve said this a handful of other times and I’m gonna say it again. I really would like to see him get some burn with the KR/PR units. That open field rugby style and the speed seem to be a good match for those duties and it doesn’t take the football IQ that being dependable a starting NFL RB takes. 

I could see him having value there. With Roberts on the team and McKenzie offering more on offense I wouldn't keep Wade on the roster exclusively for kick returns. But it's something they could try out while he develops.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agree that he needs to learn more. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I could see him having value there. With Roberts on the team and McKenzie offering more on offense I wouldn't keep Wade on the roster exclusively for kick returns. But it's something they could try out while he develops.

Right. I’m not even saying he makes it. We have an all pro return man. I just can’t believe it hasn’t been explored yet... or maybe it has and we don’t know of it 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Is it even possible for a 28 year old player who has never played the RB position in his life to make an NFL roster with this complicated of an offense(as far as RB responsibilities)?

Maybe he's just that smart that he is learning from watching but he's pretty much a liability if he isn't on top of blocking and receiving assignments.

I assume he hasn't been playing much because he is just getting by on raw ability at this point. 

I see him as the equivalent of a track star who comes to camp and just runs 9 routes..........you gotta' see all the other stuff before you can keep him on the 53........and if he were doing it right in practice it seems he'd be out there more.    It's not like Marcus Murphy and Sinorise Perry are studs taking carries away from him.........they might be reserves in the CFL let alone the NFL.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

My question has been that it seems obvious he doesn't have to clear waivers to be 11th PS member. But then he can't play. What happens if the Bills WANT to have him available this season and put him on the PS as one of their 10. Not the freebie. Surely he would have to go through waivers. But can they do that is the question. 

I haven't seen that addressed in articles. 

All I've heard on that is that if they sign him to the 53 he becomes a regular player so if they cut him then they can sign him to the practice squad like normal.

If Wade can get cut and go straight to the Bills’ practice squad without passing through waivers (which is good for the Bills but bad for the player) then that’s what you do.  That being said, I want to see Shady and Gore sit the next game and have Wade and Singleterry get time with the ones.

Edited by Doc

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

First off. There isn’t a single back on the roster outrunning the colts db’s like that other than wade. Get a clue man. Dude passed them like they were standing still. 

And 2nd. Maybe you’re right and basically every single other person on the board is wrong. That seems about right. 

He's only faced camp fodder. No starting defenses. Also no one game planning against him. Temper your expectations but we are stashing him till 2020.

9 hours ago, bargepole said:

According to the Salary Cap chart, Wade is already on a salary of $495,000, same as Singletary. This is roughly the same as what he would have earned if he had stayed in England playing Rugby.

But I really can't see that he would be interested in cooling his heels in the PS, this is a guy who needs to be playing every week. He has said this in many interviews. If the Bills don't include him in the 53, and another franchise doesn't pick him, I can see him reverting to his original Plan B, which is to go and play rugby in the Southern Hemisphere (Australia, New Zealand or South Africa).

So Sean McDermott has a decision to make - put him on the roster, or risk having Wade rip the Bills' defence to shreds wearing a Jets shirt.

Thanks for bringing you perspective to this.

I wondered myself why he would want to be on a NFL PS making 130k when he could go back to rugby.

We will all find out in 2 weeks.

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

If Wade can get cut and go straight to the Bills’ practice squad without passing through waivers then that’s what you do.  That being said, I want to see Shady and Gore sit the next game and have Wade and Singleterry get time with the ones.

Wait is this still not sorted out yet? I thought other teams could sign him if we cut him. I wonder how much McD will play Wade in games 3 and 4. Murphy, Perry, and Yeldon are all listed ahead of him on the depth chart. If Wade does play and breaks off another big one they won't have the option of stashing him on the practice squad.  

Also, cutting Shady is risky but there's financial benefit (6M) and perhaps developmental benefit (Allen leadership) to doing it. If that happens maybe McD can justify keeping Wade as a 4th RB. 

31 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Wait is this still not sorted out yet? I thought other teams could sign him if we cut him. I wonder how much McD will play Wade in games 3 and 4. Murphy, Perry, and Yeldon are all listed ahead of him on the depth chart. If Wade does play and breaks off another big one they won't have the option of stashing him on the practice squad.  

Also, cutting Shady is risky but there's financial benefit (6M) and perhaps developmental benefit (Allen leadership) to doing it. If that happens maybe McD can justify keeping Wade as a 4th RB. 

I've heard conflicting things.  Bottom line is: if he goes straight to the PS if he doesn't make the Bills' roster, you do that.  If he can be claimed if he's cut, then they might have to keep him on the roster.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Why does he have to start?  If its Mccloud, Perry, Yeldon, Williams, or McKenzie I think Wade is a legitimate conversation.  He may have to play teams but those are areas the rules can be explained.  On offense he only needs to know 10 to 20 plays.  Have some gadgets plays to get him in space.  Buffalo needs as many playmakers as they can.  He has flashed.  I think he makes plays no matter who is out there.  Maybe not 60 and 40 yards but 20 plus are still explosive plays.  Add in his spark plug ability for the team and I think its worth pondering.

Edited by Mat68

There is zero chance that the Bills will put a raw talent on the 53.  PS makes complete sense.  Build him up for next year when you will have a need.

The only way will be if they were going to carry 5 RBs (not counting FB).  Even then not sure it is worth the risk.  He is unproven against NFL first string defenses.

If I am wrong I will come back and acknowledge I was wrong.  Do not expect I will have to do so.

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

For all the players in this program since 2017, there's not one article saying or even implying another team can sign the player when the team he's allocated to tries to put them on the PS. Every single article reads as it's a foregone conclusion. From my understanding he is exempt from the waiver process and will be on the Bills for the 2019 season, either making the 53 man roster or going to the PS for the entire year. The NFL Network did a small piece on this when the NFL announced which teams got which players back in April. Peter Scharager explains it and it sure sounds like he stays on the team he was allocated to for the first year(unless that team cuts him outright). I believe his exact words are "And if they don't make the 53 man roster they still get to stick with the team and be on the practice squad". I've attached the video below. If he goes to the PS no one can sign him away from us this year. He will become an unrestricted free agent at the close of the 2019 league year.

Also the Bills aren't cutting Shady to save 6 million while already being 23 million under the cap, there's no reason to make that move. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

For all the players in this program since 2017, there's not one article saying or even implying another team can sign the player when the team he's allocated to tries to put them on the PS. Every single article reads as it's a foregone conclusion. From my understanding he is exempt from the waiver process and will be on the Bills for the 2019 season, either making the 53 man roster or going to the PS for the entire year. The NFL Network did a small piece on this when the NFL announced which teams got which players back in April. Peter Scharager explains it and it sure sounds like he stays on the team he was allocated to for the first year(unless that team cuts him outright). I believe his exact words are "And if they don't make the 53 man roster they still get to stick with the team and be on the practice squad". I've attached the video below. If he goes to the PS no one can sign him away from us this year. He will become an unrestricted free agent at the close of the 2019 league year.

Also the Bills aren't cutting Shady to save 6 million while already being 23 million under the cap, there's no reason to make that move. 

Good it's settled.  Wade will make the PS and learn the game for next year. See that wasn't so hard.