Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

No he moves to PS he cannot be touched. He is the Bills player unless he gets completely cut not allocated to PS or traded 

He's not ready for prime time. I doubt he's going to Play STs, so anyone who would try to poach him would have to stash him on the 53. 

It appears you're saying, though, that, as the designated transition player, the Bills can assign him to the PS without going through waivers? 

6 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

that is how I interpreted it. Because of the roster exemption it seemed like to me that the bills basically had exclusive rights to him for at least one full year not subject to waivers 

Thanks.

1 minute ago, TPS said:

He's not ready for prime time. I doubt he's going to Play STs, so anyone who would try to poach him would have to stash him on the 53. 

It appears you're saying, though, that, as the designated transition player, the Bills can assign him to the PS without going through waivers? 

With what he’s flashed, the odds are high that some team will take a chance on him.  

As far as I've read,  Wade is treated the exact same as any other player.

He can be cut and signed by another team to their active roster. I don't see any language giving the Bills exclusive rights.

The Bills only have an extra 11th exemption if the player is not signed at all; giving international players a 2nd chance; only then does the protections kick in.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Exactly. He can be cut and Bills could explain ahead of time what they are doing but if they cut him to bring him back to PS he could still choose to go elsewhere where his chances are harder.  Bills could do what other teams have done and pay him more than standard PS pay but if he really wants to play he may choose to go elsewhere anyways.

Except the guy turned down a large Rugby contract to give the NFL a shot. He's focused on opportunity, not money.

Wade will accept a spot on any teams 53 above a PS spot.

1 minute ago, ScotSHO said:

Christian is exciting, but man he made the wrong cut at the end.  He could have cut to the right pylon and walked in.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Bills sign him to a 1 year contract after he's been on the practice squad for most of the year.

Saw that too. He also flattened out at the end.

I'm patiently waiting for him to lateral the ball.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

So another team can't put Wade on their 53 after he is cut by the Bills, but before he is placed on the practice squad?

No he has been allocated to the Bills. 

24 minutes ago, TPS said:

Thanks.

Correct. He has a direct path the the PS. It is part of the program if he doesn’t make the 53 out of camp he goes right to PS and is Bills player for the year. Can’t be called up just developed on PS until he signs his Futures Contract at the end of the year. 

51 minutes ago, Frez said:

I'd find a spot for this kid on our opening day roster. He has some type of special play making ability when you see him run. 

This is what we have been missing! I'm on board with team Wade.

You are making this assessment on a couple plays against future insurance salesmen?

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup. 

Impossible by rules of the program 

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Frez said:

I'd find a spot for this kid on our opening day roster. He has some type of special play making ability when you see him run. 

This is what we have been missing! I'm on board with team Wade.

The Bills may have to flip the script on this one, and find a way to get Wade on the field. I would like to see some 1st team reps.

2 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Where does it say that he is exclusive to Buffalo?

For the 2019 NFL season, the AFC East has been chosen at random as the division that receive international players as a part of the International Player Development Program should they not be signed to free agent contracts. The AFC East follows the NFC South (2017) and AFC North (2018) as divisions participating in this program. At the conclusion of training camp, players will be eligible for an international player practice squad exemption on an AFC East team with teams being given an exemption for an eleventh practice squad member - ineligible to be activated during the season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024156/article/international-player-pathway-program-pro-day%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=team%3Dcin%3Bteam%3Datl%3Bteam%3Dcar%3Bteam%3Darz%3Bteam%3Ddal%3Bteam%3Dphi%3Bteam%3Dmin%3Bconf%3Dafc%3Bconf%3Dnfc%3Bdvsn%3Dacn%3Bdvsn%3Dncs%3Bdvsn%3Dncw%3Bdvsn%3Dnce%3Bdvsn%3Dncn&sr=amp

he makes the Bills 53 or he is on Bills 11 man PS.

So he gets Off the International Pathway Program at the end of the year IF he signs a Futures contract. 

Only chance he has to another teams 53 is 2020 if he signs a Futures contract.  

Edited by MAJBobby

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No he has been allocated to the Bills. 

Correct. He has a direct path the the PS. It is part of the program if he doesn’t make the 53 out of camp he goes right to PS and is Bills player for the year. Can’t be called up just developed on PS until he signs his Futures Contract at the end of the year. 

You are making this assessment on a couple plays against future insurance salesmen?

Impossible by rules of the program 

The rules of the program say he is eligible for the international squad exemption.

It does say he can make the regular Practice squad as well as the 53, not that he goes straight to the 11th spot on the PS after training camp.

I don't see where he DOESN'T go through waivers, or that another team can't sign him to their 53, especially since they go through cuts like any other player.

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

For the 2019 NFL season, the AFC East has been chosen at random as the division that receive international players as a part of the International Player Development Program should they not be signed to free agent contracts. The AFC East follows the NFC South (2017) and AFC North (2018) as divisions participating in this program. At the conclusion of training camp, players will be eligible for an international player practice squad exemption on an AFC East team with teams being given an exemption for an eleventh practice squad member - ineligible to be activated during the season.

Edited by unbillievable

3 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

The rules of the program say he is eligible for the international squad.

It also says he can make the regular Practice squad as well as the 53.

I don't see where he DOESN'T go through waivers.

The Bills and the other three AFC East clubs each get a roster exemption from the NFL, allowing them to carry 91 players on their roster instead of the typical 90-player offseason roster.

At the conclusion of training camp, players will be eligible for an international player practice squad exemption with teams being given an exemption for an eleventh practice squad member – ineligible to be activated during the season.  

Again the Training camp exemption can become a PS exemption. It is the Bills 53 or Bills PS. That is how this program works. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The Bills and the other three AFC East clubs each get a roster exemption from the NFL, allowing them to carry 91 players on their roster instead of the typical 90-player offseason roster.

At the conclusion of training camp, players will be eligible for an international player practice squad exemption with teams being given an exemption for an eleventh practice squad member – ineligible to be activated during the season.  

Again the Training camp exemption can become a PS exemption. It is the Bills 53 or Bills PS. That is how this program works. 

The program works to give international players a second chance to make the roster... after they are cut. Which seems odd to make them go through if they go straight to the PS.

What you're suggesting is that the rules force them on the Practice Squad regardless of how they do, good or bad. That makes no sense considering news articles highlighting these players getting CUT, then having them wait to see if the team takes the OPTION of the 11th exemption or not.

Nothing you've shown says they are EXCLUSIVE, only that the Bills have more options. To be fair, I have nothing to show that they are NOT exclusive, either. Can't seem to find that info on the internet. Draft picks don't get these exclusive protections if they don't make the 53, why would INTL players?

Edited by unbillievable

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Preseason game 4. I think he will get a ton of action.

I hope that Wade does see extended action. We need to see more of him. If he continues to play like this on the first team, then it could turn in to an embarrassment down the line if they don't put him on the 53 man. I don't see anything special about the Bills current RBs outside of the potential of Singletary. Frank Gore is well...Frank Gore! A wonderful testament of conditioning and endurance. Then the Shady dilemma...what version is going to show up? Is he done? Will he rediscover his youth one more time?

Edited by Rocket94

9 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

The program works to give international players a second chance to make the roster... after they are cut. Which seems odd to make them go through if they go straight to the PS.

What you're suggesting is that the rules force them on the Practice Squad regardless of how they do, good or bad. That makes no sense considering news articles highlighting these players getting CUT, then having them wait to see if the team takes the OPTION of the 11th exemption or not. Draft picks don't get these protections, why would INTL players?

Nothing you've shown says they are EXCLUSIVE, only that the Bills have more options. To be fair, I have nothing to show that they are NOT exclusive, either. Can't seem to find that info on the internet.

That is EXACTLY how the Program works. They have the chance to sign as a Future UFA at end of season and be a normal player. They where not signed and chose to be part of this program. 

Hence why AFCE has been given 91 slots in Camp and 11 slots on PS. He makes the Bills 53 or he continues his development on Bills PS. 

If At the end of the season Bills sign him or ANY steam signs him to a futures deal now he is a normal NFL player. If he goes Unsigned again he can be a part of the program again where he will be ALLOCATED To a team. That is how the program works.

so he will be a Bill in 2019. And it isn’t like the Bills scouts picked him.  He was ALLOCATED to Buffalo via random draw. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is no scenario that puts Wade on our Active roster this year.

This is a guy who has never played American football till this year. His rugby background gives him an advantage but he will need at least a year on a PS to truly be ready to take a roster spot IMO. So much about this game this man still needs tol absorb. But I sure hope the Bills take advantage and get him on our PS and a real shot next year.

Four players that participated in the program in 2018 -- Moritz Böhringer (Cincinnati Bengals), Christopher Ezeala (Baltimore Ravens), Tigie Sankoh (Cleveland Browns) and Christian Scotland-Williamson(Pittsburgh Steelers) -- will return to their NFC North teams for the upcoming season.

Now when these players get above will be free to sign anywhere as they where not part of this years Pathway Program because they signed Futures deals at the end of 2018 with each of their teams 

There is still nothing that says another team can't sign him to their roster if the Bills cut him on cutdown day.  It appears that the assumption is that if the Bills don't sign him to their roster, no other team would want him and thus he would go to the PS.

Edited by Doc