Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We are talking about 53 players...there is room to keep him if they feel he can add something this year.  Not all 53 are going to be regular contributors playing heavy minutes.  

That being said, its still a long shot without an injury or trade because that would mean McCoy, Gore, and Singletary are locks.  They could keep him as a 4th, but he would have to show enough progress to do that in all the areas.  Yeldon looked good tonight, albeit against lesser competition and hasn't really done much until tonight.  But I still think he's likely the 4th RB and Wade would be on the PS.  But if Wade keeps making plays, who knows.  

But I think Wade has for sure secured his PS exemption and will be back in camp next year likely without Gore and McCoy ahead of him.  And with a year under his belt, he could be ready to compete to contribute.   

Yeah but he's got to start getting reps with the 2s at least before I see that happening. He's had a couple really good plays but not enough reps.

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah but he's got to start getting reps with the 2s at least before I see that happening. He's had a couple really good plays but not enough reps.

Oh yeah, totally agree.  The way I see it is this:  If Wade makes another big play, or a couple nice plays in the 2nd half of the 3rd pre-season game, I think he gets some early reps in the 4th.  I would bet someone like Yeldon starts the 4th preaseaon game and I can see Wade coming in during the first half and getting a lot of minutes IF...and thats only IF...they are seriously considering him for the 53.  If he doesnt come into the final preseason game until late, then I think thats a clear sign he's headed to the PS.  

But at this point, I think he's a lock for the PS if he doesn't make the 53 since he has the exemption anyway.  

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Stuck there all year even if RB's get injured. Stupid rule. Treat him like any other udfa.

My understanding is they can (I could be wrong).  He is ONLY stuck on the PS in the specific case where we use the EXTRA player exemption.  He is stuck there because we have a free extra player over all other teams.  I do believe, if they put him on the practice squad WITHOUT using the extra player exemption he can be reactivated but also can be picked up by someone else too.

So its fair...he is only stuck there if we are using something the other teams dont have and make him untouchable.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We are talking about 53 players...there is room to keep him if they feel he can add something this year.  Not all 53 are going to be regular contributors playing heavy minutes.  

That being said, its still a long shot without an injury or trade because that would mean McCoy, Gore, and Singletary are locks.  They could keep him as a 4th, but he would have to show enough progress to do that in all the areas.  Yeldon looked good tonight, albeit against lesser competition and hasn't really done much until tonight.  But I still think he's likely the 4th RB and Wade would be on the PS.  But if Wade keeps making plays, who knows.  

But I think Wade has for sure secured his PS exemption and will be back in camp next year likely without Gore and McCoy ahead of him.  And with a year under his belt, he could be ready to compete to contribute.   

That is how I feel too. He is a better runner than Yeldon but I wouldn’t trust him in pass pro probably until next year. I would keep Yeldon and put him on the PS.

We all know that McCoy. Gore and Singletary are making it, and we are keeping at least one of Yeldon, Perry, Murphy and Wade. Probably one. I see no problem whatsoever with giving Wade a series in the second or third quarter with the starters and 1-2 carries. Chances are great that they are going to be unremarkable, or maybe pretty decent. But... if he does something crazy again, it's hard to deny its possibility.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We all know that McCoy. Gore and Singletary are making it, and we are keeping at least one of Yeldon, Perry, Murphy and Wade. Probably one. I see no problem whatsoever with giving Wade a series in the second or third quarter with the starters and 1-2 carries. Chances are great that they are going to be unremarkable, or maybe pretty decent. But... if he does something crazy again, it's hard to deny its possibility.

Look how he broke the tackle...Wade is obviously no stranger to contact and breaking away!

7 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Look how he broke the tackle...Wade is obviously no stranger to contact and breaking away!

Yep. He never played football, but more than half of RB skills in football are the same. He needs to learn pass blocking, and some of the following blocks stuff. But he's running exactly like he did playing rugby.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. He never played football, but more than half of RB skills in football are the same. He needs to learn pass blocking, and some of the following blocks stuff. But he's running exactly like he did playing rugby.

It is kind of funny to see him run. I couldn't help getting inside his head for a minute. Its like ok I gave them the slide, now cut and run! Yeah, we can see his recognition skills and instincts kicking in!

Just now, Rocket94 said:

It is kind of funny to see him run. I couldn't help getting inside his head for a minute. Its like ok I gave them the slide, now cut and run! Yeah, we can see his recognition skills and instincts kicking in!

I keep thinking he's going to pitch it backwards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

watch the interview after the game. He says some of his teammates were ragging on him for not following his blocks downfield. He said I was just looking for open space like I always did playing rugby. I had no problems with the decisions he made.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

You know Tre White has called for a pitch behind him in practice once or twice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

watch the interview after the game. He says some of his teammates were ragging on him for not following his blocks downfield. He said I was just looking for open space like I always did playing rugby. I had no problems with the decisions he made.

No problem here either! Something tells me he knows what he is doing! ha!

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah! He is saying, "wait a minute, run!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

No problem here either! Something tells me he knows what he is doing! ha!

I was wondering how well he played defensively in rugby where it goes back and forth so fast. He has been using skills you need on PR and KR, too, his whole life. Not all of them of course. But he probably can tackle and shed blocks pretty decent already. He's stocky and his legs are super strong.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was wondering how well he played defensively in rugby where it goes back and forth so fast. He has been using skills you need on PR and KR, too, his whole life. Not all of them of course. But he probably can tackle and shed blocks pretty decent already. He's stocky and his legs are super strong.

I bet he is a great two way player. You can just tell with his twitch and suddeness. Yes, he has very powerful legs too with a sprinters take off. He could be a special teams demon, and quite possibly a sideline to sideline LB! Very stoutly built too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I don’t see a reason to risk having him on the 53.. let him learn for a year and step in next year. 

If you him to learn for a year, why not do it on the practice squad.  That's kinda what it's for.