Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

When Josh Allen leads the team in rushing 3 weeks straight ....  It says something about how the RB position had issues with staying healthy

IF they trade Shady ....  Who's the 3rd RB going to be? 

If Wade has more outstanding runs like he had Thursday I don't see a reason why the Bills wouldn't retain him in some capacity. 

Ehh.  Not so much.  Shady played in 14 games.  He didn’t get any carries or yards because running the ball behind that OL was futile.  Allen mostly ran on passing plays.  No one could gain positive yard on running plays.  Worst run blocking OL/scheme I had ever seen. Good riddance castillo

24 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Given his very considerable skills, I think they'd be crazy to let him get away. He's a project for sure, but he was a star in the European rugby leagues. Why not here?

I don’t think we’ll let him get away.  Ps for the year or the possibly the 53 man if we do move a RB, but I don’t see that happening. I really think they’ll take the process type approach (slowly) developing him unless he keeps accumulating runs like had on thursday.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ehh.  Not so much.  Shady played in 14 games.  He didn’t get any carries or yards because running the ball behind that OL was futile.  Allen mostly ran on passing plays.  No one could gain positive yard on running plays.  Worst run blocking OL/scheme I had ever seen. Good riddance castillo

I don’t think we’ll let him get away.  Ps for the year or the possibly the 53 man if we do move a RB, but I don’t see that happening. I really think they’ll take the process type approach (slowly) developing him unless he keeps accumulating runs like had on thursday.  

That is probably it. The process approach. It is easy to sit here and project what we think he will do or how he will respond to a regular season game. We all want to see the Bills win. After that run the other day, and if I were a coach, I would be counting the hours to see Wade play again.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

That is probably it. The process approach. It is easy to sit here and project what we think he will do or how he will respond to a regular season game. We all want to see the Bills win. After that run the other day, and if I were a coach, I would be counting the hours to see Wade play again.

I know I am!

• Like (+1) 1

This really makes too much sense on what to do.....not that it will go this way but

- THe bills get an extra slot they WOULD NOT GET UNLESS they sign him to the PS

- He has 2 HOF running backs, A highly drafted RB who is making plays, and a RB that plays good ST's as competition to make the team

- He has LITERALLY never played American football before

You practice squad him and develop him......the guys probably making the team are McCoy, Gore, Singltary, Perry

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/10/2019 at 11:23 PM, co_springs_billsfan said:

The way I understood the rules as he can either:

A) make the 53-man roster

B) be an 11th man on the practice squad

Then, if the Bills go with 'B' he cannot be elevated to the active roster this season.

There is another option.  The Bills can release him like other players, not take exemption and then sign him to PS if no one offers him a contract.  They are only likely to do that after conversation with player.and agent.

35 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

There is another option.  The Bills can release him like other players, not take exemption and then sign him to PS if no one offers him a contract.  They are only likely to do that after conversation with player.and agent.

IF he plays and plays well someone will sign him off wavers.  

RBs have been gone down on a few teams IIRC 

14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

When Josh Allen leads the team in rushing 3 weeks straight ....  It says something about how the RB position had issues with staying healthy. 

IF they trade Shady ....  Who's the 3rd RB going to be? 

If Wade has more outstanding runs like he had Thursday I don't see a reason why the Bills wouldn't retain him in some capacity. 

I agree, if he busts another 50 yarder, his rugby days might be over.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree, if he busts another 50 yarder, his rugby days might be over.

He did retire from Rugby but that doesn't mean he can't un retire. 

Oct 24, 2018 - Wasps have released their England wing Christian Wade from his contract so he can attempt to break into American football. Wade, whose solitary cap came in 2013 against Argentina before he was summoned to join the British & Irish Lions in Australia, has scored 82 Premiership tries ...

58 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He did retire from Rugby but that doesn't mean he can't un retire. 

Oct 24, 2018 - Wasps have released their England wing Christian Wade from his contract so he can attempt to break into American football. Wade, whose solitary cap came in 2013 against Argentina before he was summoned to join the British & Irish Lions in Australia, has scored 82 Premiership tries …

I can 100% guarantee that if things didn't work out for him in the NFL, and he wanted to come back here, Wasps would have a new contract ready to be signed before he even got off the plane.

Not only was he a top tryscorer, but opposing defences were so worried about what he might do that they overloaded his channel with extra defenders - leaving gaps elsewhere for his teammates to run into. If he makes the 53 and gets a few starts, I can see that happening to teams playing the Bills. It would be nice for a change to watch a Superbowl in which it wasn't a foregone conclusion that the New England Patriots would win.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

....considering that run of the mill RB's are available everywhere....why not keep Wade?  If he doesn't work out, you just go to the Dollar General and get Yeldon or whoever...they are everyone....no reason not to give the guy a shot considering what he's shown...I'm impressed.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

....considering that run of the mill RB's are available everywhere....why not keep Wade?  If he doesn't work out, you just go to the Dollar General and get Yeldon or whoever...they are everyone....no reason not to give the guy a shot considering what he's shown...I'm impressed.

Because he doesn't really know how to play football yet. He could be a prime candidate for practice squad but he has a long road ahead of him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Because he just doesn't understand the game.

It's such a different thing to be inculcated into football from childhood - some might say birth - and a totally different thing to learn it - as an adult - in a year or two.

I'd love him to make the 53, but I just think the deck is too stacked against him.

Though he is doing his best to give himself a shot. He really is incredibly talented.