Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

16 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

The way I understood the rules as he can either:

A) make the 53-man roster

B) be an 11th man on the practice squad

Then, if the Bills go with 'B' he cannot be elevated to the active roster this season.

This is the correct answer. Anyone that thinks he can’t make the roster is incorrect 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Do they kick the ball in Rugby ? or is it Aussie Rules Football?

Any player can kick the ball at any time in Rugby, it doesn't have be called as a pre-set play. When the ball lands, it is still live, and either side can compete to catch or recover the ball. But you wouldn't pick Wade for his kicking skills, he is best at running with ball in hand, and beating would-be tacklers.

On the subject of transferable skills, a few years ago I was at Twickenham for the annual Rugby match between Oxford and Cambridge Universities. The Oxford right winger was an American who had played College Football, and he was running close to the sideline with the defenders closing in on him. He suddenly stopped, raised his arm, and fired a 50-yard quarterback pass across the field to the left winger who caught the ball in an unmarked position, and scored. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

That's an interesting take.  No reason why the rules couldn't be written to outlaw this behavior, but as it is, this is not against the rules. 

I agree it would add something to the show (maybe not much, but something) if teams had to run a play and taking a knee to kill clock was not permitted.

i read somewhere a long time ago that the knee was allowed due to people getting hurt at the end. People would stop tackling and just try to hurt someone to get the ball back. 

I love the discussion and our enthusiasm, but I do not see any way at all he makes the 53 man roster this year.  I also do not see any way the exemption is not used for him.

Running back is the easiest position to find a guy in the middle of the season if injuries occur and if Perry (or Yeldon) is the 4th back - you would still have guys like Murphy that was here all off season and could be picked up in an emergency.

I love the Wade run and if running was all an RB needed to do - then maybe he has a shot, but Backs need to understand blocking and scheme to help pass block, and how to run pass routes.  The also need to understand blocking to hit the right hole and utilize the blocking.  These nuances take years to learn and develop and Wade just is not there yet on so many levels.

I think the team loves him - both players and coaches - and I expect to see if on the extended practice squad and hopefully soaking up the knowledge from a veteran like Gore that is great in many facets of the game.  I just don’t think he will be ready for true RB playing time this year and with RBs being a dime a dozen - giving him the whole year to learn is not bad.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Running back is the easiest position to find a guy in the middle of the season if injuries occur and if Perry (or Yeldon) is the 4th back - you would still have guys like Murphy that was here all off season and could be picked up in an emergency.

So they say.   Can you name 20 All star RB's currently playing? 

IMO is not as easy as the owners / GM's let on.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/10/2019 at 5:46 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

This article does NOT clearly answer  the question: can Wade go directly to the 53 man roster WITHOUT  being placed on the PS. If he DOES go to PS,he cannot be activated. 

Just now, Georgie said:

This article does NOT clearly answer  the question: can Wade go directly to the 53 man roster WITHOUT  being placed on the PS. If he DOES go to PS,he cannot be activated. 

YES.

20 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The International Player Pathway Program was instituted in 2017 and aims to provide international athletes the opportunity to compete at the NFL level, improve their skills, and ultimately earn a spot on an NFL roster.

Clear as mud 

And Yes 

53 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

So they say.   Can you name 20 All star RB's currently playing? 

IMO is not as easy as the owners / GM's let on.

Thank you for proving my point.

Most teams utilize multiple backs rather than relying on 1 player and more importantly look at the wire RBs get picked up all the time and contribute.

Perfect example look at the Rams - picked up CJ Anderson in December and he lead them through playoffs with less than 1 month of experience with the team.  How about Keith Ford an UDFA that the Bills signed up from the PS in December - started a game and lead the team in rushing in a game.  He was more of a body, but exactly what I was saying - you can find a guy even late in the season to come in and give you some starts.  The Bills do not need to worry if Wade can be activated or not from the PS because you can find others all year long.

Edited by Rochesterfan

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

Thank you for proving my point.

Most teams utilize multiple backs rather than relying on 1 player and more importantly look at the wire RBs get picked up all and contribute.

Perfect example look at the Rams - picked up CJ Anderson in December and he lead them through playoffs with less than 1 month of experience with the team.  How about Keith Ford and UDFA that the Bills signed up from the PS in December - started a game and lead the team in rushing in a game.  He was more of a body, but exactly what I was saying - you can find a guy even late in the season to come in and give you some starts.  The Bills do not need to worry if Wade can be activated or not from the PS because you can find others all year long.

When Josh Allen leads the team in rushing 3 weeks straight ....  It says something about how the RB position had issues with staying healthy. 

IF they trade Shady ....  Who's the 3rd RB going to be? 

If Wade has more outstanding runs like he had Thursday I don't see a reason why the Bills wouldn't retain him in some capacity. 

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

When Josh Allen leads the team in rushing 3 weeks straight ....  It says something about how the RB position had issues with staying healthy. 

If Wade has more outstanding runs like he had Thursday I don't see a reason why the Bills wouldn't retain him in some capacity. 

It says more about the O line during that season, wouldn’t you think?

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

It says more about the O line during that season, wouldn’t you think?

Go Bills!!!

Maybe. 

If Keith Ford was that good then the O Line had to be good too by default.

Where is he now?   To the Packers via Indy.

The Packers claimed RB Keith Ford off waivers from the Indianapolis Colts on August 6, 2019.

Ford, a 5-foot-10, 219-pound first-year player out of Texas A&M, was originally signed by the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent on May 11, 2018. He spent most of last season on the Bills’ practice squad before being signed to the active roster on Dec. 12, 2018. He played in two games with one start, recording 79 yards on 21 rushes (3.8 avg.) and three receptions for 21 yards (7.0 avg.). Ford was released by the Bills on May 13 and signed with the Colts on July 29.

Ford was only on the active roster because every other RB was on IR 

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

So now you have them trading Shady to try and make a point?

The current depth chart is McCoy, Gore, Singletary - then RB 4 probably Perry or Yeldon.  If they trade Shady then both Perry and Yeldon make the squad. Trade and an injury and Murphy is the last body - all before Wade.

I do not see any reason why the Bills would not retain Wade either - just as the extra PS player.  He is still at least 6th on the chart behind even Murphy and 1 run does not change that.  Watching him at raining camp they had to spend a lot of time working on just getting handoffs.  He is not anywhere near ready to pass block or become the extra pass receiver.  

The biggest point is that most people see he is destined for the PS and people want to be able to call him up.  I understand, but to my point right now - if the 4 RBs are McCoy, Gore, Singletary, and Perry - you are cutting or getting rid of Yeldon and Murphy.  My guess is at least one of those guys would be available and would likely be resigned before Wade gets called up anyways.  Plus there will be guys like Ford or other teams PS RBs that you could call up.  Give Wade a chance to learn and grow before throwing him to the wolves and getting Josh killed because Wade missed an assignment or a block.

I think Wade showed he has talent, but he also played like the 1 snap - a first down where my guess is they chose a play he knew just to get him the carry.  I did not see where he was ready for extended playing time and once the season starts the implementation is huge and even rookies start to hit a wall - what will happen to a guy that barely knows anything at this point.

18 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

So now you have them trading Shady to try and make a point?

The current depth chart is McCoy, Gore, Singletary - then RB 4 probably Perry or Yeldon.  If they trade Shady then both Perry and Yeldon make the squad. Trade and an injury and Murphy is the last body - all before Wade.

I do not see any reason why the Bills would not retain Wade either - just as the extra PS player.  He is still at least 6th on the chart behind even Murphy and 1 run does not change that.  Watching him at raining camp they had to spend a lot of time working on just getting handoffs.  He is not anywhere near ready to pass block or become the extra pass receiver.  

The biggest point is that most people see he is destined for the PS and people want to be able to call him up.  I understand, but to my point right now - if the 4 RBs are McCoy, Gore, Singletary, and Perry - you are cutting or getting rid of Yeldon and Murphy.  My guess is at least one of those guys would be available and would likely be resigned before Wade gets called up anyways.  Plus there will be guys like Ford or other teams PS RBs that you could call up.  Give Wade a chance to learn and grow before throwing him to the wolves and getting Josh killed because Wade missed an assignment or a block.

I think Wade showed he has talent, but he also played like the 1 snap - a first down where my guess is they chose a play he knew just to get him the carry.  I did not see where he was ready for extended playing time and once the season starts the implementation is huge and even rookies start to hit a wall - what will happen to a guy that barely knows anything at this point.

LOL.  No.  

from what I saw Perry nor Yeldon did themselves any favors in the PS game.  

Again.  IF Wade plays more and has a better showing than Perry or Yeldon then he should deserve a spot on the team. 

And I tossed the trade Shady out there because of all the rumors.  

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL.  No.  

from what I saw Perry nor Yeldon did themselves any favors in the PS game.  

Again.  IF Wade plays more and has a better showing than Perry or Yeldon then he should deserve a spot on the team. 

And I tossed the trade Shady out there because of all the rumors.  

If Wade continues on like this and proves that he can endure an entire game, then the Bills may have to roll the dice.

Wade can not be called up if the Bills put him on the PS, nor can he be claimed by another team, it’s part of the rules for the foreign exchange players thingy.

Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Wade can not be called up if the Bills put him on the PS, nor can he be claimed by another team, it’s part of the rules for the foreign exchange players thingy.

Go Bills!!!

Correct.  If he's on the PS

He can make the 53 if he proves himself worthy 

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Correct.  If he's on the PS

He can make the 53 if he proves himself worthy 

Yes,

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2