Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

9 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

He made ONE great run.in our FIRST game.  He has talent, he could be great, but he's 28. 

If we get to the end of preseason, and  he's still showing that talent, then he will make the team.  Considering his age, It's either make the team or not.  Putting a 28 year old on the PS, for one season, would be a bit unfair. 

Wade is too old...forget it! ?

The odds are fully staked against this guy ever making the 53. Hard to believe that he could manage the laundry list of things a NFL running back must do to play at this level with no meaningful exposure to the game and qualified coaching. Looks like he can hit a hole but I have no idea how well he would do running inside and in traffic. My impression of the play in rugby is that it is more open and fluid than in football where defences specialize in gap management insofar as shutting down the run is concerned.  Mind you there are plenty of good backs who don't bring the ability to execute the complete textbook of assignments. I find the suggestion that he could be useful as a special teamer running back punts and kickoffs intriguing, but the Bills have just signed one of the best in the business who may even be serviceable as a wide receiver. 

My takeaway is a feeling of regret. True he was going against guys who will be bagging groceries, but based on what I saw and his acknowledged athleticism he looks like he might have some of the attributes that one only finds in a handful of top shelf running backs. S. Barkely could not have executed that counter any better. A poster who knows rugby and has followed his career says he was not the ideal physical specimen for the position he played. Maybe he should have been playing football all along.

40 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

He made ONE great run.in our FIRST game.  He has talent, he could be great, but he's 28. 

If we get to the end of preseason, and  he's still showing that talent, then he will make the team.  Considering his age, It's either make the team or not.  Putting a 28 year old on the PS, for one season, would be a bit unfair. 

I agree that we need to see more out of him before even entertaining the thought of putting him on 53 man roster, but I don’t see it being unfair to put him on the PS as it’s an extra spot that nobody else would get anyway. I was just curious as to whether he could be on the 53 man roster this year because I was getting conflicting answers. 

10 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

The odds are fully staked against this guy ever making the 53. Hard to believe that he could manage the laundry list of things a NFL running back must do to play at this level with no meaningful exposure to the game and qualified coaching. Looks like he can hit a hole but I have no idea how well he would do running inside and in traffic. My impression of the play in rugby is that it is more open and fluid than in football where defences specialize in gap management insofar as shutting down the run is concerned.  Mind you there are plenty of good backs who don't bring the ability to execute the complete textbook of assignments. I find the suggestion that he could be useful as a special teamer running back punts and kickoffs intriguing, but the Bills have just signed one of the best in the business who may even be serviceable as a wide receiver. 

My takeaway is a feeling of regret. True he was going against guys who will be bagging groceries, but based on what I saw and his acknowledged athleticism he looks like he might have some of the attributes that one only finds in a handful of top shelf running backs. S. Barkely could not have executed that counter any better. A poster who knows rugby and has followed his career says he was not the ideal physical specimen for the position he played. Maybe he should have been playing football all along.

I wouldn't say "fully stacked".  I agree he is a long shot BUT............

First, let's remember this whole program was started by the NFL to get EU (especially Great Britain) more interested in football.

Don't underestimate the power of marketing in the NFL.  When he gets into the huddle in the 4th quarter this Friday the announcers

will be "talking him up" and showing that replay.  It's their job to help marketing too.

Second, Christian Wade had a sensational run and has peaked some interest.  I'm sure he will get some more snaps and his play

will be evaluated by everyone.  IF he has a 3 yard average in his next 5 or so snaps it will fade away BUT if he does well or even

better than well and lets say catches a couple of balls, then things will change.  If that happens he may get a shot at some ST work too.

Third, IF all that happens and an argument can be made that he brings something to the table then I can see a reasonable chance he

makes the team as a 4th RB.  The NFL Commissioner would love him some Beane/McDermott if Wade made the team and if it can be justified that he

is as good as a Yeldon/Perry I would agree with the decision.

Conclusion:  Lets see how Wade plays in the Carolina game.  It's up to him going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Curious.  

Howbb old was our beloved Fred Jackson when he came from NFL Europe?

I think Jackson was 27...close? Wade is 27. Wade would ideally be utilized as an additional weapon. It is not like we are drafting him at 22 to be our feature back for  years to come.

Edited by Rocket94

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I think Jackson was 27...close? Wade is 27. Wade would ideally be utilized as an additional weapon. It is not like we are drafting him at 22 to be our feature back for  years to come.

I just double checked.  He was 26 and 250 days old on his first NFL game.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I just double checked.  He was 26 and 250 days old on his first NFL game.

Yeah and look how that turned out!  Wade is not old and his body may be preserved from not experiencing the rigors of  football!

Edited by Rocket94

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yeah and look how that turned out!  Wade is not old and his body may be preserved from not experiencing the rigors of a lifetime of football!

Like I said in my "dissertation" a few posts ago, everyone will be watching how he does against the Panthers.

15 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Which is exactly why I brought it up.  

There was discussion yesterday as well...I can't wait to see how this plays out.  Wade seemed to be an after thought until the game the other day!

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I wouldn't say "fully stacked".  I agree he is a long shot BUT............

First, let's remember this whole program was started by the NFL to get EU (especially Great Britain) more interested in football.

Don't underestimate the power of marketing in the NFL.  When he gets into the huddle in the 4th quarter this Friday the announcers

will be "talking him up" and showing that replay.  It's their job to help marketing too.

Second, Christian Wade had a sensational run and has peaked some interest.  I'm sure he will get some more snaps and his play

will be evaluated by everyone.  IF he has a 3 yard average in his next 5 or so snaps it will fade away BUT if he does well or even

better than well and lets say catches a couple of balls, then things will change.  If that happens he may get a shot at some ST work too.

Third, IF all that happens and an argument can be made that he brings something to the table then I can see a reasonable chance he

makes the team as a 4th RB.  The NFL Commissioner would love him some Beane/McDermott if Wade made the team and if it can be justified that he

is as good as a Yeldon/Perry I would agree with the decision.

Conclusion:  Lets see how Wade plays in the Carolina game.  It's up to him going forward.

Just in the spirit of competition and making the Bills a better team...Beane and McDermott may have to make one of their most difficult decisions to date.

15 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Just in the spirit of competition and making the Bills a better team...Beane and McDermott may have to make one of their most difficult decisions to date.

I think all bubble players are tough decisions for HC's/GM's.  I can't deny that Christian Wade's situation might bring a factor into it.

Wade will have another small chance to show off his unique situation in the Panthers game.

Personally, I think his chances of a spot on the 53 is very small but it sure is a feel good story.

The post TD celebration from his "mates" sure shows their feelings about him.

I'm pretty sure the Buffalo Bills made a few more fans over in the EU this week!

I got a friend from England (big Rugby fan) that visits our local sports bar and I can't wait to see him and ask him about this.

I thought Wade could make the 53 man roster, get signed to a practice squad spot, or use the exemption for the extra practice squad spot. Using the exemption would make him ineligible to be moved up to the roster this season but a regular PS spot he could be moved up. The Bills do not have to use the exemption. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I agree that we need to see more out of him before even entertaining the thought of putting him on 53 man roster, but I don’t see it being unfair to put him on the PS as it’s an extra spot that nobody else would get anyway. I was just curious as to whether he could be on the 53 man roster this year because I was getting conflicting answers. 

Feel the same way about the conflicting answers.  The rules are not always clear cut.  That's why they pay the team of flying monkeys at the League office, to sort it all out.

As long as he would be available to play, that would be good.  I was concerned that maybe he wouldn't, and because he's 28, he could just be wasting a season there?

41 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think all bubble players are tough decisions for HC's/GM's.  I can't deny that Christian Wade's situation might bring a factor into it.

Wade will have another small chance to show off his unique situation in the Panthers game.

Personally, I think his chances of a spot on the 53 is very small but it sure is a feel good story.

The post TD celebration from his "mates" sure shows their feelings about him.

I'm pretty sure the Buffalo Bills made a few more fans over in the EU this week!

I got a friend from England (big Rugby fan) that visits our local sports bar and I can't wait to see him and ask him about this.

It would be a great story. Rugby star leaps across the pond and defies the odds!

• Like (+1) 1