Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Exactly. None of the 8 players have played football at even a D1 level

This is to acclimate top athletes to the game over a year period and see how they progress

He is certainly a great candidate for PS RB with his speed and quickness and vision

Just teach him to be a FB and cut Dimarco....problem solved.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I didn’t bother looking it up, but I thought he was 28, which with wear and tear adjustments might feel like 26. I’m not advocating for a guy I saw make one long run, just saying it was entertaining and I’d like to see more. Of course it’s a serious loooong shot. I just want to see a little more. Is that so wrong? 

EDIT: he just turned 28 in May. 

Yes, I said he was 28 earlier. That means he's only 2 years away from teams doubting his abilities.

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

It may seem that way. However, we all know that men age differently and Wade's legs have not been subjected to a prolonged NFL pounding. I don't know much about rugby...is it as gruelling on the body as NFL football?

The big difference between Rugby and American Football, is that in Rugby, we don't have different sets of players for offence, defence, special teams etc. The same 15 players stay on the field for the whole game, except when substituted by one of the 8 players on the bench.

In all the time I watched Wade play at Wasps, he hardly ever missed a game through injury, and was rarely substituted during an 80-minute game. He was often hit by, or tackled, some really big guys, but would bounce up again like a rubber ball. 

If there's any way he can make the 53 (and I'm as confused about the rules as everyone else seems to be), your head coach really should roll the dice, because you may just have a weapon that the other 31 NFL teams won't be used to defending against.

• Thank you (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, bargepole said:

The big difference between Rugby and American Football, is that in Rugby, we don't have different sets of players for offence, defence, special teams etc. The same 15 players stay on the field for the whole game, except when substituted by one of the 8 players on the bench.

In all the time I watched Wade play at Wasps, he hardly ever missed a game through injury, and was rarely substituted during an 80-minute game. He was often hit by, or tackled, some really big guys, but would bounce up again like a rubber ball. 

If there's any way he can make the 53 (and I'm as confused about the rules as everyone else seems to be), your head coach really should roll the dice, because you may just have a weapon that the other 31 NFL teams won't be used to defending against.

Welcome from across the pond. To be honest with you, I am still confused myself. While I do understand that it is good for a player like Wade to be acclimated to the NFL game for a year, what if his performance in the pre season begs otherwise? I don't really know if the Bills can roll the dice.

Edited by Rocket94

10 hours ago, MJS said:

He can't BE the 53 man roster. But he sure can MAKE the 53 man roster.

That's what they've been saying on the radio at least.

I know a lot of people have been questioning whether we'd keep five or six WRs, but here's how I see the 53 shaking out.

QB: Wade / Wade

RB: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

FB: Wade

OL: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

TE: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

WR: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

DL: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

LB: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

CB: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade 

S: Wade / Wade / Wade / Wade

LS: Wade

P: Wade

K: Wade

Don't forget that we also have 11 PS spots available as well:

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade

Wade (bonus international player allocation)

13 hours ago, bargepole said:

One thing I can never quite understand, is when it gets to the last two minutes of the fourth quarter, and the team which is leading have the ball, they can eat up the clock by 'taking a knee for three downs. That seems to me to be deliberate time-wasting, and they should change the rules to penalise that.

That's part of the game.  If you couldn't outscore the team with the ball in the first 58+ minutes, oh well.  And I'm sure rugby has ways for the leading team to waste time during/at the end of matches.

2 hours ago, skibum said:

How is he not eligible for the 53? Can’t teams sign basically anyone they want to, including clowns, house cats, Peterman, etc?

He can make the 53 out of camp. If he doesn’t he goes to the PS via the international program exemption. And he stays there for the year. 

I dont think he even is exposed to waivers to go to the PS. (Unless he initially makes the 53 the. It cut same rules as all players apply I believe)

I’ll rain on the parade. Wade has zero chance of making the active roster this year.  I doubt he’ll ever make an active roster. 

Its a a great story and I admire the hell out of Wade for walking away from a sport he was fantastic at to start at the bottom in a totally new sport...but being a great athlete isn’t nearly enough to make a roster. The NFL is full of world class athletes who have played the sport their entire lives.

Throw Gurley or Zeke or any top tier RB into rugby and they’d have zero chance of making a team too.

9 hours ago, Augie said:

OK.....he can be added as an EXTRA PS player if you wish. Might he also be eligible for one on the normal PS spots, and therefore eligible to bring up?  I don’t think this is very clear yet. 

I didn't believe that is possible, or I would have included it as option 'C'.

But I could be wrong.

Te rules are he can make the 53 roster out of training camp. If he doesn't he has to clear waivers. But any team that claims him has to put him on their 53 man roster. If no team claims him he reverts to or practice squad where we get an extra spot for him but he can not be activated to the 53 man roster all year.

*If a team does claim him then drop him from their 53 he also reverts back to our practice squad the rest of the year as well I believe. - This one I'm not positive about the rest I am sure of. Sal Capaccio covered this in tweets earlier in the offseason to get clarity on the situation but I don't know how to post tweets on this site.

Bold to think.  When's the last time Buffalo had a guy break off a long TD run in the preseason?  Fred Jackson?  It's been a while I feel like.  Simplistic schemes and plays.  Wade showed alot of ability.  He looks like the most explosive back on the roster.  1 carry so who knows.  He has my attention.  Hes not a gimmick or waste of time.  The coaching, the leaders on the team need to get him to a level of understanding.  He shows more throughout the preseason I would find a way to put him on the team.  If he can catch, I would consider keeping 5 or 6 Wrs.  Now I would give him more carries the next couple of games to see how he handles contact.  He does that well color me intrigued.

3 minutes ago, MDH said:

I’ll rain on the parade. Wade has zero chance of making the active roster this year.  I doubt he’ll ever make an active roster. 

Its a a great story and I admire the hell out of Wade for walking away from a sport he was fantastic at to start at the bottom in a totally new sport...but being a great athlete isn’t nearly enough to make a roster. The NFL is full of world class athletes who have played the sport their entire lives.

Throw Gurley or Zeke or any top tier RB into rugby and they’d have zero chance of making a team too.

It happens every couple of years.  Usually, dlineman. Heck offensive line even.  Football is not as overly complex as some think or make it out to be.  He showed good vision, and burst to pull off that run.  That's about 60% of playing running back.  If he can hold onto the ball and take contact well he will be fine.

Just now, Mat68 said:

It happens every couple of years.  Usually, dlineman. Heck offensive line even.  Football is not as overly complex as some think or make it out to be.  He showed good vision, and burst to pull off that run.  That's about 60% of playing running back.  If he can hold onto the ball and take contact well he will be fine.

It happens when they’re younger. I’ve seen it a few times at TE where a special athlete is a rarity. At RB, most NFLers are great athletes.

The other day Wade hit a mammoth hole against Colts defenders who also won’t be on the active roster when opening day arrives. 

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Exactly. None of the 8 players have played football at even a D1 level

This is to acclimate top athletes to the game over a year period and see how they progress

He is certainly a great candidate for PS RB with his speed and quickness and vision

With that speed and rugby back ground he is prime for special teams return duty IMO. The guy is 3rd all time for tries as a rugby player, so he knows how to crash some bodies without pads, and his strength in his game was/is speed and evasion.  It will be a fun underdog story to follow next camp. Can they turn him into a NFL player ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premiership_Rugby#Tries

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/rules_and_equipment/4204010.stm

• Like (+1) 1