Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

3 hours ago, bargepole said:

Thanks for the welcome. I do often watch NFL games, which are shown on Sky Sports here in the UK, usually late on Sunday nights due to the time zone difference.

One thing I can never quite understand, is when it gets to the last two minutes of the fourth quarter, and the team which is leading have the ball, they can eat up the clock by 'taking a knee for three downs. That seems to me to be deliberate time-wasting, and they should change the rules to penalise that.

That's an interesting take.  No reason why the rules couldn't be written to outlaw this behavior, but as it is, this is not against the rules. 

I agree it would add something to the show (maybe not much, but something) if teams had to run a play and taking a knee to kill clock was not permitted.

Old Man Freddie Jackson was worth the look we gave him, I’d say. Again, not saying he makes the 53, just saying it’s a fun story and don’t write him off just because of preconceived notions. No stone unturned, you just never know! That’s one thing I like about this FO. 

4 hours ago, bargepole said:

i must admit, I have no idea about the intricacies of how NFL teams select their 53-man active roster, or under what circumstances PS players can be promoted to the active squad.

But I can tell you this. When he was playing Rugby for us at Wasps, and we needed a score, there was only one call from the playbook - "Give it to Christian'.

As I said on another thread, you Bills fans ain't seen nothing yet, this guy will do things that most others can't do. Sure he has a lot to learn about your game, but in simple terms. when he has the ball in his hand, with defenders to beat and the goal line in sight, he will get there more often than not, regardless of which set of rules he's playing under.

Welcome! It’s nice to get a report from someone who has followed Christian. I like what I hear, and I loved not just his one big play, but also his rugby highlights. Good stuff! (I played rugby in college and have an appreciation for play at that level. WOW stuff!) 

But the other reason I’m posting this to our new friend Bargepole is to tell you how you and our dear @ExiledInIllinois just might become fast friends! 

?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Old Man Freddie Jackson was worth the look we gave him, I’d say. Again, not saying he makes the 53, just saying it’s a fun story and don’t write him off just because of preconceived notions. No stone unturned, you just never know! That’s one thing I like about this FO. 

What difference does it make anyway. If a man can still play at a high level, who cares if he is 23 or 30? It also depends on the team and system and how the rb will be employed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bargepole said:

Thanks for the welcome. I do often watch NFL games, which are shown on Sky Sports here in the UK, usually late on Sunday nights due to the time zone difference.

One thing I can never quite understand, is when it gets to the last two minutes of the fourth quarter, and the team which is leading have the ball, they can eat up the clock by 'taking a knee for three downs. That seems to me to be deliberate time-wasting, and they should change the rules to penalise that.

Taking a knee does come at a small cost. You lose a couple yards every time you do it. If you have gained sufficient score advantage that you can afford this, and the other team has wasted their Time Outs to prevent runoff on the clock, well.....that’s the price each team pays. Be ahead so you can afford to waste some yards, and don’t blow your timeouts early - you may need them later.

Sloppy teams sometimes waste timeouts because they lined up wrong, or have the wrong personnel on the field, etc. There is, and should be, a price for that. There have been cases where a team tried to run a play rather than kneel down, fumbled the hand off and lost the game as a result. Oops! I have no problem with the rule as it is. 

Also, it’s not just the 4th quarter. Sometimes you just want to get to halftime if you are deep in your end of the field and don’t want to take the risk of a turnover. Just get to the locker room and let’s talk about this. 

he's old for a running back BUT he's never played American football.  he hasn't had all the wear and tear the body takes playing through highschool, college etc. also, this guy is an elite rugby player.  he is an elite athlete.  he may not have known what to do after he scored but flip it around and im sure almost every player on both sides would be just as clueless if they were playing rugby. all I know is I saw a guy take off like he was shot out of a cannon after he made that cut.  

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

The way I understood the rules as he can either:

A) make the 53-man roster

B) be an 11th man on the practice squad

Then, if the Bills go with 'B' he cannot be elevated to the active roster this season.

OK.....he can be added as an EXTRA PS player if you wish. Might he also be eligible for one on the normal PS spots, and therefore eligible to bring up?  I don’t think this is very clear yet. 

18 minutes ago, mmichii said:

he's old for a running back BUT he's never played American football.  he hasn't had all the wear and tear the body takes playing through highschool, college etc. also, this guy is an elite rugby player.  he is an elite athlete.  he may not have known what to do after he scored but flip it around and im sure almost every player on both sides would be just as clueless if they were playing rugby. all I know is I saw a guy take off like he was shot out of a cannon after he made that cut.  

Shot out of a cannon? ha! haven't heard that in years! It did look that way!

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Well said. The wear and tear factor may not apply to Wade. I need to see more of him.

4 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Well said. The wear and tear factor may not apply to Wade. I need to see more of him.

Umm....did you just quote and compliment yourself at the same time? Not unheard of, but rare.   ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Umm....did you just quote and compliment yourself at the same time? Not unheard of, but rare.   ?

I like myself pretty much...but thats not what happened. Some times when I respond too quickly, they group together...has that happened to you? I responded to the other poster with a laugh.

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I like myself pretty much...but thats not what happened. Some times when I respond too quickly, they group together...has that happened to you? I responded to the other poster with a laugh.

I kid! Stuff happens! 

And I agree regarding the Wade wear and tear factor. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I kid! Stuff happens! 

Well anyway, I like myself, and I found the analogy "shot out of a cannon" funny! Yes, just from the brief glimpse of Wade, he appears preserved. 

Edited by Rocket94

Just now, Rocket94 said:

Well anyway, I like myself, and I found the analogy "shot out of a cannon" funny! 

I take it you didn’t grow up in the circus? 

We lived in Sarasota, FL for 18 years before moving to Atlanta. Sarasota was home to Ringling Bros. My kids grew up with friends from Carnie families. You could drive down the road and see houses with trapezes and nets in the backyard. It was weird to me at first, but then it becomes normal.  

Just now, Augie said:

I take it you didn’t grow up in the circus? 

We lived in Sarasota, FL for 18 years before moving to Atlanta. Sarasota was home to Ringling Bros. My kids grew up with friends from Carnie families. You could drive down the road and see houses with trapezes and nets in the backyard. It was weird to me at first, but then it becomes normal.  

No...I was never pressured in to a life in the circus. Ha! My late grandfather liked the circus and I went with him a few times. Have your children kept in touch at all with the Carnies?

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

No...I was never pressured in to a life in the circus. Ha! My late grandfather liked the circus and I went with him a few times. Have your children kept in touch at all with the Carnies?

There were only a few that we knew. They all went to the same Catholic school. Yes, they are still loosely in the loop when my son gets back to town, but just if they cross paths. The older brothers buddy was about 5’10”, well over 300# and could bench 400+ without warming up. Brought a baby alligator to our house in a Dillards bag one night. I’ll generously call it....”character”. 

My wife grew up with a horse. Still loves the smell. If she had to shovel up after an elephant she might have lost interest. 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

There were only a few that we knew. They all went to the same Catholic school. Yes, they are still loosely in the loop when my son gets back to town, but just if they cross paths. The older brothers buddy was about 5’10”, well over 300# and could bench 400+ without warming up. Brought a baby alligator to our house in a Dillards bag one night. I’ll generously call it....”character”. 

My wife grew up with a horse. Still loves the smell. If she had to shovel up after an elephant she might have lost interest. 

That is definately an interesting family...different than the norm. My father owned horse farms all over NYS and he raced them. It was a different time.