Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

It doesn't make sense that he can't make the active roster.  The idea is for these guys to make the roster.  If they show enough to make it their first year, why not let them?

Its the Program. 

• Haha (+1) 1

i must admit, I have no idea about the intricacies of how NFL teams select their 53-man active roster, or under what circumstances PS players can be promoted to the active squad.

But I can tell you this. When he was playing Rugby for us at Wasps, and we needed a score, there was only one call from the playbook - "Give it to Christian'.

As I said on another thread, you Bills fans ain't seen nothing yet, this guy will do things that most others can't do. Sure he has a lot to learn about your game, but in simple terms. when he has the ball in his hand, with defenders to beat and the goal line in sight, he will get there more often than not, regardless of which set of rules he's playing under.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, bargepole said:

i must admit, I have no idea about the intricacies of how NFL teams select their 53-man active roster, or under what circumstances PS players can be promoted to the active squad.

But I can tell you this. When he was playing Rugby for us at Wasps, and we needed a score, there was only one call from the playbook - "Give it to Christian'.

As I said on another thread, you Bills fans ain't seen nothing yet, this guy will do things that most others can't do. Sure he has a lot to learn about your game, but in simple terms. when he has the ball in his hand, with defenders to beat and the goal line in sight, he will get there more often than not, regardless of which set of rules he's playing under.

If you are new here and do not follow American football but are here for Wade, welcome

His world class athletic ability was clearly on display, hopefully he can pick up the nuances and adapt

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you are new here and do not follow American football but are here for Wade, welcome

His world class athletic ability was clearly on display, hopefully he can pick up the nuances and adapt

Thanks for the welcome. I do often watch NFL games, which are shown on Sky Sports here in the UK, usually late on Sunday nights due to the time zone difference.

One thing I can never quite understand, is when it gets to the last two minutes of the fourth quarter, and the team which is leading have the ball, they can eat up the clock by 'taking a knee for three downs. That seems to me to be deliberate time-wasting, and they should change the rules to penalise that.

Just now, bargepole said:

Thanks for the welcome. I do often watch NFL games, which are shown on Sky Sports here in the UK, usually late on Sunday nights due to the time zone difference.

One thing I can never quite understand, is when it gets to the last two minutes of the fourth quarter, and the team which is leading have the ball, they can eat up the clock by 'taking a knee for three downs. That seems to me to be deliberate time-wasting, and they should change the rules to penalise that.

That is why keeping your timeouts for the 4th quarter are crucial. If you are down 3 points with 2 minutes left and the winning team wants to kneel out the clock it won't be effective because you have your timeouts

Football is as much strategy as it is brute Force

I tried to pick this young man for my final pick in my fantasy football auction league today. He was nowhere to be found on anyone's computers. They ***** me for the same reason when I picked Marcus Murphy in round 16 last year and I wound up with a second kicker. This year, McCoy was still available so I took him instead.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

"The four AFC East clubs will carry these overseas players on their roster until the end of training camp. At that time, the players are eligible for an international player practice squad exemption, granting them an eleventh practice squad member that is ineligible to be activated during the 2019 season."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025740/article/four-international-players-added-to-rosters-ahead-of-2019-season

He'll be an additional PS player and nothing more for 2019.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

"The four AFC East clubs will carry these overseas players on their roster until the end of training camp. At that time, the players are eligible for an international player practice squad exemption, granting them an eleventh practice squad member that is ineligible to be activated during the 2019 season."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025740/article/four-international-players-added-to-rosters-ahead-of-2019-season

He'll be an additional PS player and nothing more for 2019.

He’ll be the league MVP and nothing less for 2019. 

Have faith! 

It sure is a fun story and I can’t wait to see some more of this guy. It’s not just the one big play, but also from the rugby highlights I really want to know just how fast this guy really is. He’s “eligible” for the practice squad as an additional player (but the last spot means he can’t move onto the roster this year), but he just might make a roster. I’d like to see him on returns. My irrational exuberance runneth over.  

Edited by Augie

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

He’ll be the league MVP and nothing less for 2019. 

Have faith! 

It sure is a fun story and I can’t wait to see some more of this guy. It’s not just the one big play, but also from the rugby highlights I really want to know just how fast this guy really is. He’s “eligible” for the practice squad, but he just might make a roster. I’d like to see him on returns. My irrational exuberance runneth over.  

I wish this could happen.  But he cannot make the roster, no matter how good he is.  Even if the Bills wanted him to, the rules prevent him from going any further than the practice squad for 2019.

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Exactly. None of the 8 players have played football at even a D1 level

This is to acclimate top athletes to the game over a year period and see how they progress

He is certainly a great candidate for PS RB with his speed and quickness and vision

But what’s the harm of making him eligible for the 53?  If he’s good enough, he should be on the squad.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I wish this could happen.  But he cannot make the roster, no matter how good he is.  Even if the Bills wanted him to, the rules prevent him from going any further than the practice squad for 2019.

Are you positive? What I read says they are “eligible” for an 11th PS position. I did NOT see where it says they CANNOT make the 53 man squad. You get an overseas punter from Australia, and HE can make the squad. I don’t know what the specifics are here, still vague to me. 

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What you quoted only stated that if they are placed on the practice squad they can't be activated. It didn't say they couldn't make the 53 man roster.

1 hour ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I tried to pick this young man for my final pick in my fantasy football auction league today. He was nowhere to be found on anyone's computers. They ***** me for the same reason when I picked Marcus Murphy in round 16 last year and I wound up with a second kicker. This year, McCoy was still available so I took him instead.

Sounds like you were saved from your own stupidity ?

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

He's 28. That's old for running backs.

Adjust like dog years. He’s played rugby, which is wearing, but he hasn’t been playing football since he was 6 years old. 

Edited by Augie

1 minute ago, MJS said:

He's 28. That's old for running backs.

It may seem that way. However, we all know that men age differently and Wade's legs have not been subjected to a prolonged NFL pounding. I don't know much about rugby...is it as gruelling on the body as NFL football?

Just now, Augie said:

Adjust for dog years. He’s played rugby, which is wearing, but he hasn’t been playing football since he was 6 years old. 

Doesn't really matter. Teams generally don't even consider bringing in guys if they are 30 or over, unless you are a future hall of famer like Gore.

There are just too many promising, early 20's running backs out there for peanuts to waste your time with older, more expensive, less springy running backs.

Of course, Wade can probably be had for pretty cheap. But I bet, even as a rugby player, he isn't as fast as he was when he was 23.

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

It may seem that way. However, we all know that men age differently and Wade's legs have not been subjected to a prolonged NFL pounding. I don't know much about rugby...is it as gruelling on the body as NFL football?

Football has more injuries, I know, but I'm sure his time playing accounted for some wear and tear.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Doesn't really matter. Teams generally don't even consider bringing in guys if they are 30 or over, unless you are a future hall of famer like Gore.

There are just too many promising, early 20's running backs out there for peanuts to waste your time with older, more expensive, less springy running backs.

Of course, Wade can probably be had for pretty cheap. But I bet, even as a rugby player, he isn't as fast as he was when he was 23.

Football has more injuries, I know, but I'm sure his time playing accounted for some wear and tear.

Based on his run the other day, I would have to believe that he has a few good years left. The man invests in himself and appears to be in remarkable shape.

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I didn’t bother looking it up, but I thought he was 28, which with wear and tear adjustments might feel like 26. I’m not advocating for a guy I saw make one long run, just saying it was entertaining and I’d like to see more. Of course it’s a serious loooong shot. I just want to see a little more. Is that so wrong? 

EDIT: he just turned 28 in May. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1