Can Christian Wade be the 53 man roster this year

FLBillsGuy

29 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

He can makethe 53. But I think if he is assigned to the PS he's stuck there all year (can't be elevated) 

Correct he cannot be moved from the practice squad once put on it by us and other teams cannot take him either 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

What I am curious about is if we can add him to the practice squad automatically or if he has to clear waivers first like other players.  

I looked for some time for the answer and could not find one.

To me it sounded like if one of these players don't make the 53 they can be "placed" on the PS, so I took it as automatically.

Others though have said they think they go thru waivers.

• Like (+1) 1

Per my understanding of the international allocation program he is unable to make the 53 this season

Because all 8 international players tried out originally as free agents and were not signed

Then the international allocation program randomly divided the players to random divisions. The AFC east being one

Since Wade was allocated to the Bills he gets a free ride on the PS all year but is not eligible for the active squad

( Edit: he is able to make the team out of camp)  PS means cannot be called up

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Per my understanding of the international allocation program he is unable to make the 53 this season

Because all 8 international players tried out originally as free agents and were not signed

Then the international allocation program randomly divided the players to random divisions. The AFC east being one

Since Wade was allocated to the Bills he gets a free ride on the PS all year but is not eligible for the active squad

According to this article, you are correct. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025740/article/four-international-players-added-to-rosters-ahead-of-2019-season%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=team%3Dmia%3bteam%3Dcin%3bteam%3Datl%3bteam%3Dcar%3bteam%3Dbuf%3bteam%3Dbal%3bteam%3Ddal%3bteam%3Dphi%3bteam%3Dclv%3bteam%3Dpit%3bteam%3Dmin%3bconf%3Dafc%3bconf%3Dnfc%3bdvsn%3Dace%3bdvsn%3Dacn%3bdvsn%3Dncs%3bdvsn%3Dnce%3bdvsn%3Dncn%3bplyr%3Defe_obada&sr=amp

He is unable to make the 53, or be promoted from his "11th" practice squad spot to join the roster in 2019

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

How is that helpful? What if we have an injury and he’s the best option? 

Seems like good intentions, but questionable practice.

31 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It sounds like the international allocation program is a paid internship.  But if a player can't be promoted to the active roster, what's the point?  To see if he develops enough to make the 53 next year?

3 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

It sounds like the international allocation program is a paid internship.  But if a player can't be promoted to the active roster, what's the point?  To see if he develops enough to make the 53 next year?

Exactly. None of the 8 players have played football at even a D1 level

This is to acclimate top athletes to the game over a year period and see how they progress

He is certainly a great candidate for PS RB with his speed and quickness and vision

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FLBillsGuy said:

Don’t understand the rule, is he automatically assigned to the practice squad, or can he be assigned to the 53 man roster?

He can make the team or goes to PS as a PS exemption meaning can carry one extra on PS. 

• Like (+1) 2

It is a great program to get them acclimated to the NFL, but what if Wade explodes the remainder of the pre season and we have this incredible weapon that has to wait instead of helping the team. One thing we are getting good at is patience.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

Since we’re all speculating, I think the thinking behind this is these guys don’t know the game well enough -if at all. Great athletic ability, even with an individual position like RB, isn’t enough. You have to know to leave the field after you score, for instance. ‘Y Z Banana Trips’? Fuggetaboutit. They don’t want to be embarrassed and neither does the League.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Can he go to the practice squad without the exemption so it's possible to promote him?

I don’t think so. He has to make the 53 out of camp or he learns and develops on the PS all year. And that is fine he needs it. 

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He can make the team or goes to PS as a PS exemption meaning can carry one extra on PS. 

It doesn't make sense that he can't make the active roster.  The idea is for these guys to make the roster.  If they show enough to make it their first year, why not let them?

On 8/10/2019 at 5:25 PM, MAJBobby said:

I don’t think so. He has to make the 53 out of camp or he learns and develops on the PS all year. And that is fine he needs it. 

I suppose you are right. Get Wade grounded for the transition. He is still a young man, but if he continues to play like this, the Bills may have to revise the plan...flip the script!

Edited by Rocket94