Positional Roster LOCKS and Battles to Watch

With week one of the preseason out of the way, I started to look deeper into last year's and current Buffalo Bills roster. It was pretty interesting, most notably  the weakness in depth of last year's team. That being said, there are a few really interesting, tight positional battles to look out for as the Bills are forced to make some tough decisions. I used the 2018 roster as a projection for the number of players (roughly) that the Bills will keep at each position. I thought this was a fun way for me to zero in on specific players to watch moving forward. To aid along the way, I separated the positions into LOCKS and Battles. Let's get started: 

*LOCK #1: 

Quarterbacks (2) 

1. Josh Allen

2. Matt Barkley

3. Tyree Jackson

Last year Beane and Co. carried two into the season. I cannot see them wanting to carry Tyree, especially based on the depth at other positions and how valuable other could be in special teams or in specific roles. He adds no value to your active roster and will likely try to get him on the PS.

*LOCK #2:

Full Backs (1) 

1. Patrick DiMarco

My desperate plea again falls upon deaf ears. Based upon his special teams value, and the way the coaching staff has spoken about him, DiMarco's role on this team is carved in stone.

LOCK #3:

Defensive Tackles (4) 

1. Ed Oliver

2. Star Lotulelei

3. Harrison Phillips

4. Jordan Phillips

5. Kyle Peko

6. Robert Thomas

7. L.T. Walton

Unless they carry 5, which I cannot see, there are your DTs to start 2019.

Battles to Watch Moving Forward...Here the fun begins! The BOLD indicated who I think will win the battle, with a strike through meaning that I don't believe them to be in competition.

4th String RB

Senorise Perry

Marcus Murphy

T.J. Yeldon

Christian Wade

With Gore, Shady, and Singletary locked in, the 4th spot at RB is up for grabs. I'm giving the edge to Perry, based on his ST value. 

6th AND 7th WR

Cam Phillips

Isiah McKenzie

Ray-Ray McCloud

Victor Bolden Jr

David Sills V

Duke Williams

Nick Easley

With Brown, Beasley, Foster, Jones and Roberts nearly locks, the one or two remaining spots at WR is up for grabs. Although the Bills carried only 6 WR out of the gate in 2018, I think they will move forward with 7. Cam Phillips have shown lots throughout camp, and us consistently getting reps with the 2's. I don't believe Roberts to be a legitimate threat on offense, so him and McKenzie will likely be kept around as gadget or ST guys. I look for Phillips to get the nod over both of these guys IF there is a need to due to injury for a receiver to line up on the outside. 

3rd and 4th TE

Dawson Knox

Tommy Sweeney 

Jason Croom

Lee Smith

Nate Bcker

Kyle Carter 

Keith Towbridge

Tyler Croft is likely on PUP to begin the year. He is essentially guaranteed a roster spot when he returns. Therefore, the Bills will either initially keep 3 TEs, making Kroft the 4th upon his return. The more likely scenario IMO, is that they will carry 4 active into the season, releasing one of the them in a corresponding move to activate Kroft.  There are my four to start the year, with Croom or Sweeney being axed once Kroft is ready to go.

9th and 10th OL

Offensive Center (2)

Mitch Morse

Spencer Long

Russel Bodine

Offensive Guard (4)

Quinton Spain

Cody Ford

Wyatt Teller

John Feliciano

Vlad Ducasse

Ike Boettger

Nico Saragusa

Offensive Tackle (3)

Dion Dawkins

Ty Nsekhe

De’Ondrey Wesley

Connor McDermott

Jarron Jones

Garret McGhin

Ryan Bates

I have the Bills carrying only 9 OL into the year, despite them carrying 10 last year. This years crop is much more versatile, and it allows for movement across the line. For example, I have Ford listed as a Guard, but he could also play Tackle if need be. I gave Long the nod over Bodine, because he likely could slide in at Guard if need be. If you wanted to keep another pure tackle, I'd say Feliciano is the next to go with McDermott the next in. 

4th or 5th DE

Darryl Johnson

Eddie Yarbrough

Mike Love

2018 saw 4 DE's to begin the year. Hughes, Murphy and Lawson are all good to go, leaving the 4th rotational spot up from grabs. The edge here goes to Johnson. I think they like his length and motor. He and Yarbrough both had good showing the other night. They may consider keeping 5, but the 5th would likely need to contribute to Special Teams to make it worth it. Mike Love isn't written off yet, because of this. Either way, the Bills will have to release a good player.

6th LB

Vosean Joseph

Deon Lacey

Maurice Alexander

Tyrel Dodson

Edmunds, LoRax and Milano are your starters. With three spots left, Stanford and Thompson offer great depth and also contribute on teams. What it comes down to here is Lacey vs. Joseph. I can appreciate what Deon has brought to the team in the past, but this is the future. VoJo (you like that?) will likely get the green light, especially if he can keep those booming hitting coming on kickoffs!

5th CB

Lafayette Pitts

Ryan Lewis

E.J. Gaines

Denzel Rice

Cam Lewis

I see 4 safe players in White, Levi Wallace, and both Johnsons... That leaves 1 CB spot remaining between the rest of these guys. I'm going with Pitts. Gaines injury could buy him some time if he hits PUP, but I don't see him lasting too long. Pair this with Pitts cool first name and I'll give him the advantage. However, it is possible that they'll only carry 4 CBs if they can all play the boundary (which they can)...see below...

4th and possibly 5th Safety

Kurt Coleman

Dean Marlowe

JaQuan Johnson

Abraham Wallace

This is your best match-up, IMO. Hyde, Poyer and Siran Neal round out your top 3, leaving 1 or potentially 2 spots for these three fellas if they only keep 4 traditional CB's. This is assuming Siran can play big nickel or in the slot, given an injury to either Johnson. I see Coleman's history helping him find a way onto the 53, and Dean Marlowe has impressed since his time on the PS in the past year. Johnson has an uphill battle, but will be a great practice squad candidate if he doesn't make it, likely seeing time it the big boys at points throughout the year. 

What battles are your watching?

• Thank you (+1) 3

I think they keep JaQuan Johnson and don't expose him to waivers. While not a high pick I think they like him enough that they see him as a future contributor,  a good ST candidate and someone they'd hate to lose on waivers. He is one of "their guys".

Edited by BubbaT

10 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

How is he better than White?

Please respond, I need a laugh.

I'm not saying he's better than White, but to conclude that Tre is definitely going to have a better year than EJ before the season is even played seems crazy.  When Gaines is healthy he is as good as any corner in the league, and he's a great fit for our D.

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

. If you wanted to keep another pure tackle, I'd say Feliciano is the next to go with McDermott the next in. 

Clearly you’re just trying to be funny. Feliciano is close to starting, and he back up every position 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

I'm not saying he's better than White, but to conclude that Tre is definitely going to have a better year than EJ before the season is even played seems crazy.  When Gaines is healthy he is as good as any corner in the league, and he's a great fit for our D.

I love the way Gaines played here a few years ago. The D was noticably better when he was on the field. HOWEVER, your best ability is availability and that's been a problem for him. Even when healthy he is no Tre White. Good enough to me CB2 tho.

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

I love the way Gaines played here a few years ago. The D was noticably better when he was on the field. HOWEVER, your best ability is availability and that's been a problem for him. Even when healthy he is no Tre White. Good enough to me CB2 tho.

Totally agree.  Most likely situation is he's hurt.  Seemed like the op was implying him being injured might prevent him from being cut, which seems crazy to me.  Chances are he ends the season on IR, but if he stays healthy he could have a huge impact.

33 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

I'm not denying that he has ongoing injury issues.  But he did in 2017 too and still played 11 games for us.  His groin injury shouldn't be a problem for the regular season.

He either is out for the season or for 8 weeks so he isnt coming back any too soon. Plus groin injuries are just nasty to recover from especially for an athlete depending on his running/conditioning. I would not be surprised if he was waived at the 9 week mark

Edited by BubbaT

16 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Injured far too frequently to be considered the “ best “ anything. 

Best at being consistently unavailable due to injury?

14 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

I'm not denying that he has ongoing injury issues.  But he did in 2017 too and still played 11 games for us.  His groin injury shouldn't be a problem for the regular season.

He is on IR...not eligible to come back til week 8...more likely they reach an injury settlement a d release him

14 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

He is on IR...not eligible to come back til week 8...more likely they reach an injury settlement a d release him..

Also Bills have already released multiple players on this list...

Siragusa and Ducasse