The Center position in Buffalo

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, T master said:

It's a good thing that Beane brought in more than one player that has a history of experience at the position , the thing with Morse is really concerning & i would have thought would have been a concern & a talking point with his contract before making him the highest paid center in the league !

His concussion happened in camp so what's going to happen when the guys are going at it for real ? I hope this was just a fluke thing but it would really suck to have him be the next E. Wood, sign i big contract to be here for a while & BOOM out of no where something happens to diagnose a problem ?.

I just hope he will be good to go but missing this time to get in sync with Josh & the offense can't be good ! And to all those that say pre season games are use less i think this could be another reason to prove that game time on the field in this the of situation is better suited than 18 game season for the owners to make more money !! Just saying ...

If Long's hand is healed then we have a good backup to Morse (a better option than Bodine), but I would not be surprised if Beane grabs a center in the draft next year.

The frequency of Morse's concussions are the most concerning thing - not just for his career as a Bill, but for his own long term health after he hangs up his cleats. Playing on the line is like being in a car wreck over and over - there is little in the way of preventing helmet to helmet collisions, they happen on every play and once you become concussion-prone the odds are not good.

Fingers crossed, but I would rather see a player retire than ruin his life after the game.

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

If Long's hand is healed then we have a good backup to Morse (a better option than Bodine), but I would not be surprised if Beane grabs a center in the draft next year.

The frequency of Morse's concussions are the most concerning thing - not just for his career as a Bill, but for his own long term health after he hangs up his cleats. Playing on the line is like being in a car wreck over and over - there is little in the way of preventing helmet to helmet collisions, they happen on every play and once you become concussion-prone the odds are not good.

Fingers crossed, but I would rather see a player retire than ruin his life after the game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, T master said:

Still kind of cracks me up to see that Gazoo helmet.

Applaud the attempt, but probably did little to actually prevent a concussion. Reducing the occurrence of concussions is the best we can probably hope for in contact sports (helmet to helmet hit fines go a long way) and hoping that medical science catches up on why one concussion so easily leads to another even when given time to recover from symptoms.

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Still kind of cracks me up to see that Gazoo helmet.

Applaud the attempt, but probably did little to actually prevent a concussion. Reducing the occurrence of concussions is the best we can probably hope for in contact sports (helmet to helmet hit fines go a long way) and hoping that medical science catches up on why one concussion so easily leads to another even when given time to recover from symptoms.

Nope. It did help. One of the big problems is that helmets are hard shelled. There are new helmets that absorb the impact better by conforming to the hit and distributing the force. It's the same reason why cars are made to crumple when in high impacts.

If every player was to use soft shelled helmets there would absolutely be a reduction in concussions. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, MJS said:

Nope. It did help. One of the big problems is that helmets are hard shelled. There are new helmets that absorb the impact better by conforming to the hit and distributing the force. It's the same reason why cars are made to crumple when in high impacts.

If every player was to use soft shelled helmets there would absolutely be a reduction in concussions. 

Good point and I stand corrected..

I misspoke when I said it did NO good, but my thoughts in regards to football helmet technology to date were circling around the fact that concussions can be triggered by both impact and torsion/inertial events. 

There is a lot that has been done and more that could be done to reduce the damage of impacts events and spread the energy, but torsion/inertia (the injuries to the brain involved in sudden changes in direction) are not fully addressed by impact reduction and simply may not be possible to fully mitigate in impact sports.

One can imagine the problem as running down the football field holding a glass jar filled with water and an egg and trying not to break the egg when getting hit from odd angles or stopped cold from a sprint. Certainly covering the jar with impact spreading material would help absorb the impact, but torsion and inertia events can still cause the egg to slap against one side or another of the inside of the jar and likely damaging it. Much like the brains response to sudden stops or changes in direction as it is also suspended in cerebral fluid and surrounded by the hard skull.

It will be interesting to see where they take impact reduction technology as in this demo. Any improvements in protection via energy absorption is a good thing, and we can always hope that medical science catches up in regards to treating concussions effectively so that they heal properly and do not recur so easily. 

24 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Good point and I stand corrected..

I misspoke when I said it did NO good, but my thoughts in regards to football helmet technology to date were circling around the fact that concussions can be triggered by both impact and torsion/inertial events. 

There is a lot that has been done and more that could be done to reduce the damage of impacts events and spread the energy, but torsion/inertia (the injuries to the brain involved in sudden changes in direction) are not fully addressed by impact reduction and simply may not be possible to fully mitigate in impact sports.

One can imagine the problem as running down the football field holding a glass jar filled with water and an egg and trying not to break the egg when getting hit from odd angles or stopped cold from a sprint. Certainly covering the jar with impact spreading material would help absorb the impact, but torsion and inertia events can still cause the egg to slap against one side or another of the inside of the jar and likely damaging it. Much like the brains response to sudden stops or changes in direction as it is also suspended in cerebral fluid and surrounded by the hard skull.

It will be interesting to see where they take impact reduction technology as in this demo. Any improvements in protection via energy absorption is a good thing, and we can always hope that medical science catches up in regards to treating concussions effectively so that they heal properly and do not recur so easily. 

Totally agree. There's never going to be a way completely eliminate concussions in high impact sports like football. But I think if all hard pads and helmets were removed from the game and replaced with flexible versions that would go a long way towards helping.

• Like (+1) 1