The Center position in Buffalo

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if this is tied to the OL coach, the QB, or both? I would have assumed it would be the other way around given that Carr is a vet.

Would it not be Dabol’s call?  It’s interesting that they put this on Josh.

13 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I’ve always wondered how the center is supposed to know what blocking scheme to all when his view of the defense is limited because he is bent over or squatting. 

Same thought here.  I’m sure they don’t have a clear view of the secondary from center. 

Bet Patriot offense is the same. 

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Maybe and it could be more related to the type of offense they run and how simple it is. Daboll I believe runs an Ehrhardt Perkins style of offense, not sure what Gruden runs but assume it involves spider 2 Y banana 

• Haha (+1) 7

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Negative.  Brian Daboll is not on the field nor is he in the helmet for the last 15 seconds of play clock.

Daboll sets up the play with options built in.

Generally, the QB is responsible to select the correct option based on the play call and rarely select something totally different, perhaps based on the specific game plan.

Generally, the QB and center work together setup blocking assignments.  For example, when you hear "56 is the Mike", it's the quarterback that is identifying a key piece. The center and guards fine tune to figure out double teams, combo blocks, etc. based on the play call, defensive alignments, and their own in-game experience about what they think will work.  When an offensive line gels, it generally means that this communication and resulting executing is smooth and mistake-free.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Negative.  Brian Daboll is not on the field nor is he in the helmet for the last 15 seconds of play clock.

Daboll sets up the play with options built in.

Generally, the QB is responsible to select the correct option based on the play call and rarely select something totally different, perhaps based on the specific game plan.

Generally, the QB and center work together setup blocking assignments.  For example, when you hear "56 is the Mike", it's the quarterback that is identifying a key piece. The center and guards fine tune to figure out double teams, combo blocks, etc. based on the play call, defensive alignments, and their own in-game experience about what they think will work.  When an offensive line gels, it generally means that this communication and resulting executing is smooth and mistake-free.

I think he meant that it is Daboll’s call as to who makes the on field call, the center or the QB.

Hopeful Morse gets fully healed and is ready for the regular season. What an improvement compared to last years OL. Really like TY, Ford, (Morse/Feliciano at C) with Spain and Dawkins on the other side. Expecting significant improvement in the running game and giving Josh some time when he drops back.

Will be surprised if Bodine makes the roster.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if this is tied to the OL coach, the QB, or both? I would have assumed it would be the other way around given that Carr is a vet.

Probably didn't matter much in Oakland as they are just going to run "old school smash mouth football" (stated in my best Gruden voice)

That is interesting. Not that we needed any more evidence that Bodine will be shown the door. Maybe Long will be too? Some of us have been trying to find ways to keep Teller who's in a numbers crunch now that Ford is at RG. Using Feliciano as the back up C accomplishes that.

Edit: the more I think about it we have to carry three guys who can play center. Even if Morse comes back he's a ticking time bomb. This should mean our top eight guys are set (DD/QS/MM/CF/TN with JF, SL, and WT back ups). The question is, who is going to be the back up swing tackle?    

Edited by VW82

17 minutes ago, Big C said:

I think most "franchise QBs" make the checks at the line. Seems like an indictment of Carr a little if he isn't able to make those checks. Maybe I'm wrong? 

Weve had dozens, more likely hundreds, of posts about how we urgently needed to get a great center because of their coordinating of the line. 

Im not saying it right or wrong but it is amusing anecdotally how much we talk about things that often end up completely meaningless in the actual team 

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I’ve always wondered how the center is supposed to know what blocking scheme to all when his view of the defense is limited because he is bent over or squatting. 

They count hats at the LoS 

It's a numbers game down the line

Edited by Buffalo716

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Weve had dozens, more likely hundreds, of posts about how we urgently needed to get a great center because of their coordinating of the line. 

Im not saying it right or wrong but it is amusing anecdotally how much we talk about things that often end up completely meaningless in the actual team 

Heh, yeah. Well in fairness we used to have QBs that couldn't do it. More often than not I think the center and the QB both make some calls and ultimately one of them - usually the QB I feel - makes the final call if there needs to be one. 

It's a good thing that Beane brought in more than one player that has a history of experience at the position , the thing with Morse is really concerning & i would have thought would have been a concern & a talking point with his contract before making him the highest paid center in the league !

His concussion happened in camp so what's going to happen when the guys are going at it for real ? I hope this was just a fluke thing but it would really suck to have him be the next E. Wood, sign i big contract to be here for a while & BOOM out of no where something happens to diagnose a problem ?.

I just hope he will be good to go but missing this time to get in sync with Josh & the offense can't be good ! And to all those that say pre season games are use less i think this could be another reason to prove that game time on the field in this the of situation is better suited than 18 game season for the owners to make more money !! Just saying ...