NFL Game Pass: What exactly is the problem?

This is going to be long, but I know some are interested in hearing my experience with NFL Game Pass.

First of all, for those who don't know, NFL Digital Care does not have customer service by phone or live chat. When you call the number, it's a recording only with no option to transfer. The only option is to send a webform email, which they claim they will respond to, but they do not define a timeframe. The customer service is borderline what you would expect from a scam "company."

Next, note that I have had issues with Game Pass for years (in particular, going around and around with them about their claim that it can be streamed via Chromecast, only to find out that that wasn't true at the time and was just wishful intent on their part), but this thread is strictly about my experience this year.

I went onto the Game Pass website a few days before Thursday's game to make sure my auto-renewal was set up (I was a season ticket holder last year, so I had received the free Game Pass, but I never used it). I put a new credit card on file, and it said I have access through some date in August 2020. I was good to go. I tried to log in on the mobile app, and it let me log in but then said I didn't have access to Game Pass. I said to myself, "Oh well, I'll just watch the game on my Chromebook, because I know it works on there." And it did work, to an extent (more on that in a bit). Today though, in preparation for the season, I decided to make sure I was properly logged in and set to go on all my devices: desktop, Chromebook, Xbox, and Roku (TVs in living room and bedroom). I made sure I was properly logged in with the correct username and password on all sources. Funny thing was, I no longer had access to Game Pass, and my credit card information had been removed. I checked my credit card account just to make sure I hadn't already been charged, and I hadn't, so I went ahead and put my card information in and subscribed again. I was able to access Game Pass just fine on that device (desktop). I was also able to access it on my Chromebook.

However, the same as Thursday night, despite being properly logged in, I am NOT able to access Game Pass on any devices other than browser-based ones (desktop and Chromebook). Access through the mobile app, Xbox app, Roku, etc. are not available. On the Xbox, I get a message that reads, "You are signed in, but you do not have access to Game Pass." On Android, I get a blue screen with a picture of Leonard Fournette, offering me to subscribe to the service. I log in, and the screen just keeps coming up exactly the same. The only way to access is to pay again—it has my credit card information there ready to go—which, perhaps, is exactly what the NFL wants impatient and frustrated fans to do... fans like me who wanted to relax and watch the game in front of a TV tonight, not a computer.

Please note that this problem is not unique to this season. There have always been issues with access on multiple devices. It is so bad that you have to describe it as intentional at worst and negligent at best from the NFL's perspective. That brings me to my next point.

The NFL has the resources to develop a state-of-the-art app and streaming technology, but it refuses to do so, instead literally pushing one of the worst-engineered official sports apps on the market. Why is this?

I can stream from any other service—Netflix, YouTube TV, Amazon Prime, Sling, you name it (even on IPTV, I can flip through channel after channel in instantaneous crystal-clear HD)—and the picture is HD from start to finish with no buffering. I subscribe to the fastest internet service available in my area, yet I continue to have issues streaming videos from the NFL in high quality. In this day and age, buffering of any kind is completely unacceptable, and yet using Game Pass feels like a trip back to the early 2000s and the DSL service I had at that time. Even the quality of the videos in the NFL Mobile app itself is shameful with regard to its tendency to be slow-loading, oft-crashing, and with low-quality video playback. When you play an NFL video—whether it's a highlight play, an NFL Network segment, or whatever—it should display in HD immediately, just like all other major streaming services. But with the NFL, many videos don't even achieve HD, because they are pushed out in a low quality and have to "work themselves up," if you will, to HD, but the clip is over by the time this happens. This is kind of a big deal if, as a fan, you're trying to catch up on action you missed.

On another note: until streaming has the same appearance and reliability of traditional TV, it will not be an acceptable alternative for serious fans, because even when streaming in full HD, you can still tell it's streaming—especially on a big TV. I don't know how to explain what the difference is, but the best way for me to describe it is that something is off during the action as the players and the ball move. Anyone know what I mean? Until that is "fixed," I won't be streaming football if I have a choice. Of note: when streaming the game the other night, it constantly fluctuated the playback quality. I can't emphasize enough that my issues with other streaming services are zero, zilch, nil. But apparently the NFL's technology can't handle live streaming. Completely unacceptable.

Regarding the catastrophe that is NFL video technology and subscription services, I'd love to get the ear of someone who is actually involved in the decision-making process regarding these things, but I haven't looked into it. If anyone has a contact, let me know. I know it probably won't fix anything, but at least I did my part in trying.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Can't you just hook your TV up to your computer? Picture won't be as great but you can still watch it on the big screen

There shouldn't have to be a workaround to access an official NFL product. One of the primary complaints IS the playback quality, so the hook-up-to-TV workaround would only work if you don't care about the quality and are okay with the service not working on the platforms it's supposed to (i.e., the services you paid for).

• Like (+1) 1

The international version (which I guess is the same basic tech) seems to be much better after the nadir of the 2017 season. That year the product was awful. I remember the Cincy defeat that year I probably saw less than half the game. 

Agree with what you have said about their customer service. It is piss poor. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

This is going to be long, but I know some are interested in hearing my experience with NFL Game Pass.

First of all, for those who don't know, NFL Digital Care does not have customer service by phone or live chat. When you call the number, it's a recording only with no option to transfer. The only option is to send a webform email, which they claim they will respond to, but they do not define a timeframe. The customer service is borderline what you would expect from a scam "company."

Next, note that I have had issues with Game Pass for years (in particular, going around and around with them about their claim that it can be streamed via Chromecast, only to find out that that wasn't true at the time and was just wishful intent on their part), but this thread is strictly about my experience this year.

I went onto the Game Pass website a few days before Thursday's game to make sure my auto-renewal was set up (I was a season ticket holder last year, so I had received the free Game Pass, but I never used it). I put a new credit card on file, and it said I have access through some date in August 2020. I was good to go. I tried to log in on the mobile app, and it let me log in but then said I didn't have access to Game Pass. I said to myself, "Oh well, I'll just watch the game on my Chromebook, because I know it works on there." And it did work, to an extent (more on that in a bit). Today though, in preparation for the season, I decided to make sure I was properly logged in and set to go on all my devices: desktop, Chromebook, Xbox, and Roku (TVs in living room and bedroom). I made sure I was properly logged in with the correct username and password on all sources. Funny thing was, I no longer had access to Game Pass, and my credit card information had been removed. I checked my credit card account just to make sure I hadn't already been charged, and I hadn't, so I went ahead and put my card information in and subscribed again. I was able to access Game Pass just fine on that device (desktop). I was also able to access it on my Chromebook.

However, the same as Thursday night, despite being properly logged in, I am NOT able to access Game Pass on any devices other than browser-based ones (desktop and Chromebook). Access through the mobile app, Xbox app, Roku, etc. are not available. On the Xbox, I get a message that reads, "You are signed in, but you do not have access to Game Pass." On Android, I get a blue screen with a picture of Leonard Fournette, offering me to subscribe to the service. I log in, and the screen just keeps coming up exactly the same. The only way to access is to pay again—it has my credit card information there ready to go—which, perhaps, is exactly what the NFL wants impatient and frustrated fans to do... fans like me who wanted to relax and watch the game in front of a TV tonight, not a computer.

Please note that this problem is not unique to this season. There have always been issues with access on multiple devices. It is so bad that you have to describe it as intentional at worst and negligent at best from the NFL's perspective. That brings me to my next point.

The NFL has the resources to develop a state-of-the-art app and streaming technology, but it refuses to do so, instead literally pushing one of the worst-engineered official sports apps on the market. Why is this?

I can stream from any other service—Netflix, YouTube TV, Amazon Prime, Sling, you name it (even on IPTV, I can flip through channel after channel in instantaneous crystal-clear HD)—and the picture is HD from start to finish with no buffering. I subscribe to the fastest internet service available in my area, yet I continue to have issues streaming videos from the NFL in high quality. In this day and age, buffering of any kind is completely unacceptable, and yet using Game Pass feels like a trip back to the early 2000s and the DSL service I had at that time. Even the quality of the videos in the NFL Mobile app itself is shameful with regard to its tendency to be slow-loading, oft-crashing, and with low-quality video playback. When you play an NFL video—whether it's a highlight play, an NFL Network segment, or whatever—it should display in HD immediately, just like all other major streaming services. But with the NFL, many videos don't even achieve HD, because they are pushed out in a low quality and have to "work themselves up," if you will, to HD, but the clip is over by the time this happens. This is kind of a big deal if, as a fan, you're trying to catch up on action you missed.

On another note: until streaming has the same appearance and reliability of traditional TV, it will not be an acceptable alternative for serious fans, because even when streaming in full HD, you can still tell it's streaming—especially on a big TV. I don't know how to explain what the difference is, but the best way for me to describe it is that something is off during the action as the players and the ball move. Anyone know what I mean? Until that is "fixed," I won't be streaming football if I have a choice. Of note: when streaming the game the other night, it constantly fluctuated the playback quality. I can't emphasize enough that my issues with other streaming services are zero, zilch, nil. But apparently the NFL's technology can't handle live streaming. Completely unacceptable.

Regarding the catastrophe that is NFL video technology and subscription services, I'd love to get the ear of someone who is actually involved in the decision-making process regarding these things, but I haven't looked into it. If anyone has a contact, let me know. I know it probably won't fix anything, but at least I did my part in trying.

Your right it’s long 

I’m just a dumb pile ? sooooooo can’t help 

• Haha (+1) 1

Have you checked to see how many devices you are allowed to be connected to at once?

Also, these days a lot of device recognition, is done in some fashion at a 'hardware' level, and will have given devices registered with something, that 'allows' them access. I doubt you will be able to find such a list through gamepass itself, but you might want to contact them and try and find out if they have one, and if so if it lists the devices you want gamepass displayed through.

Fwiw, I've found that watching through XBox gives me the best experience of reliability etc. as it's not trying to do anything else in the background. Note - I'm in the UK, so don't have necessarily the same version of gamepass- which could be a deal breaker of itself. ;)

Edited by Buddo
Typos
  • Like (+1) 1

So the OP watches the NFL, at home, on his desktop, Xbox (which I assume is through a TV), and 2 TVs via Roku? And maybe the nearby laptop?

Man,  it’s ok to leave the house now and then you know.  Go to a friends house.  Or a bar.

WTF?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've had different but equally serious problems with GamePass this year.  I live overseas and have subscribed for several years.  Other than the very first year, when the streaming was so haphazard that they actually gave everyone a partial refund, I've been pretty satisfied.  

This year, though, with the move to the new platform, I had a series of major problems.  I watch on a Windows computer connected to a HD projector and get a 105" picture which makes my basement the best sports bar in the country.  But as of last week, I was unable to load the GamePass site.  I would go to the URL and it would be "loading" and would get stuck there.  I wrote to their tech support and got a canned response by email telling me to clear my cookies and cache and everything would be OK, or if that didn't work to try a different browser.  I did it with no success, and tried Chrome, Edge, Firefox, 3 other Windows computers at home and on my office wifi, and also a Mac.  None of it worked.  

Then I tried to download the Android app figuring I could buy a Chromecast and watch that way, but the Play Store says that the app is not available in my country (even though the nfl.com site specifically lists my country as one where you can download it).

I wrote repeatedly to their tech support with no response, then suddenly on Wednesday I tried again and was able to access the site!

When it came time for me to watch Thursday's game (archived, on Friday morning my time), I got into the site but couldn't get the player to work in Chrome.  It turns out that you need to disable Flash (which I need for other streaming applications I use) so I was able to get it running in Firefox and saw the game.  I guess that's where I'll see the 2019 season (except for the Eagles game which I'll see at New Era Field!)

Now some gripes: 

1. They've taken away the quad box.  Best night of football ever was watching the Bills clinch the playoff spot and watching the other three games where we needed a result, all at the same time in the quad box.

2. They've taken away the skip 10 seconds forward/backward buttons.  Why? This is 2019 for heaven's sake.

3. They've taken away the radio play-by-play option.  John Murphy is so much better than the clowns who cover the Bills games for the networks

Thank you for listening.  I feel better already.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So the OP watches the NFL, at home, on his desktop, Xbox (which I assume is through a TV), and 2 TVs via Roku? And maybe the nearby laptop?

Man,  it’s ok to leave the house now and then you know.  Go to a friends house.  Or a bar.

WTF?

Okay there Mr. Judgy-McJudginpants ??

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Sometimes it can be the device, your internet service or WiFi router too. 

My stream of the game Thursday was flawless via Apple TV....  except for completely mis seeing that toss to Zay near the goal line. 

I agree the the app is just ok and a little glitchy, but there’s no competeing app.  The app developer is probably a friend of an executive. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

8 hours ago, eball said:

Hmm...I have GamePass and use it without issue on my iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV.  Maybe the NFL just likes Apple products?

Could really be.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

WTF?

Point taken, haha, but I can explain! I promise!

The desktop is not meant to ever be used to watch the game. Of course, that's the place it works flawlessly. The Chromebook also is not meant to watch the game, but again...

Living room = Xbox

Bedroom = Roku

On the go = NFL Mobile app

I want to have it working in the living room and bedroom so I don't interfere wherever my daughter is watching Paw Patrol. ❤?

• Like (+1) 1