Baldy breaks down Oliver vs Nelson

20 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Dude, I’ve been saying it for 2 years.

I’d say we’re at a standstill but, well (it’s an extra year).

Work on those hands big fella. Good things will come.

I didn't even start my evaluation on him till his draft eligible year and I don't get many UH games out here so I only saw him 2-3 times his first 2 years

The fact that he was drawing double teams in his very first NFL game caught my attention.

The thing about the Bills' d-line is that it's a "pick your poison" situation.

If you double Ed, Star and Hughes get 1-and-1s, and both men will usually win those. If you devote more attention to Jerry or double Star, you leave Ed 1-on-1, and you have to like your odds in that situation if you're Buffalo.

Kid's gonna be just fine.

By the way, I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned yet that former 5x All-Pro guard Willie Anderson weighed on on Twitter, as well:

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Again "generational talent" is not synonymous with "best ever."  And 10-20 years ago isn't 1982.

With Nelson, he came in with the label as a generational talent and proceeded to live up to the expectations.  As I said, time will tell, but he's on the right path.

I said the Millenial generation goes all the way back to 1982. Thanks for reading. 

32 minutes ago, mrags said:

I said the Millenial generation goes all the way back to 1982. Thanks for reading. 

Oh I read it all right.  You said that calling him a "generational talent" meant he's the best OG since 1982.  When everywhere people are defining a "generation" as 20-25 years (1994-1999).  Not "best ever." 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How much football do you have to watch to determine a rookie O lineman (a Guard, no less) on a team outside of your division is better than all others in the NFL at his position AND better than nearly every player who has ever played that position in the games history?

Somebody said so so it must be true

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I'm guessing that most of is aren't doing that, but the AP does. We're simply going off of the fact that he was an early pick that earned AP All Pro honors as a rookie. 

Being a "generational talent" in sports (IMO) refers to a time frame of about 15-20 years, not 100. 

Who said 100?

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

If you want to find something to laugh about you can snicker at your nonsensical analogies. What does Tom Brady have to do with this discussion? Without question he is a generational talent but that wasn't surmised at the beginning of his career after being drafted in the sixth round. Nelson is in a different situation than Brady. He was one of the top rated linemen ever coming out of the draft. In his first season he played at an all-pro level and is currently considered to be the best guard in the NFL by almost every analyst. Your reference to Brady in this discussion is irrelevant and a distraction that has little to do with the original discussion about Nelson. 

YOU bring Brady into this discussion...and then you ask what Brady has to do with this discussion. 

Seek help.

Edited by Mr. WEO

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The fact that he was drawing double teams in his very first NFL game caught my attention.

The thing about the Bills' d-line is that it's a "pick your poison" situation.

If you double Ed, Star and Hughes get 1-and-1s, and both men will usually win those. If you devote more attention to Jerry or double Star, you leave Ed 1-on-1, and you have to like your odds in that situation if you're Buffalo.

Kid's gonna be just fine.

By the way, I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned yet that former 5x All-Pro guard Willie Anderson weighed on on Twitter, as well:

Ya the double teams drew my attention as well 

Also the fact he only played 11 snaps tells me the Bills staff already knows they have a beast on their hands. Usually a rookie DL will get significant playing time.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes. He is a blue Chip prospect and one of the best guard prospects in the last 15-20 years..

He was the best , most polished player in his draft

I watched every snap of his career at ND and as a guard goes , prospects can't get better

The most polished player in that draft was Baker Mayfiled.  A “polished” Guard is nice but...come on. 

13 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya the double teams drew my attention as well 

Also the fact he only played 11 snaps tells me the Bills staff already knows they have a beast on their hands. Usually a rookie DL will get significant playing time.

And Oliver will only get better...just the kind of play maker the D needs!

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'm sorry, but besides drawing the double team, what did he do?

Ok Virgil.  You do nice writeups on game days so I believe your question is sincere.  The replay by Baldinger is the first offensive play for the Colts which results in a 2 yard loss.  The RG and RT double team Oliver, the TE 81 tries to block Lawson.  The Center 63 blocks Star.  All of this leaves Edmunds all alone unblocked.  He recognizes the play, runs past Nelson on reach block and blows the play up.  Lawson comes in and finishes for a 2 yard loss. 

What made the Ravens defense great in their first Super Bowl year was Ray Lewis had Tony Siragusa and some other large human clog up the middle.  Lewis was usually able to fly to the ball uninhibited.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Ok Virgil.  You do nice writeups on game days so I believe your question is sincere.  The replay by Baldinger is the first offensive play for the Colts which results in a 2 yard loss.  The RG and RT double team Oliver, the TE 81 tries to block Lawson.  The Center 63 blocks Star.  All of this leaves Edmunds all alone unblocked.  He recognizes the play, runs past Nelson on reach block and blows the play up.  Lawson comes in and finishes for a 2 yard loss. 

What made the Ravens defense great in their first Super Bowl year was Ray Lewis had Tony Siragusa and some other large human clog up the middle.  Lewis was usually able to fly to the ball uninhibited.

Also splitting the Double , making the RB hesitate and gets cleaned up for no gain. Also the play where he missed the sack  shows off his athleticism,effort and awareness. He's going to be a disruptor up the middle. Can ruin alot of offensive gameplans that way

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Also splitting the Double , making the RB hesitate and gets cleaned up for no gain. Also the play where he missed the sack  shows off his athleticism,effort and awareness. He's going to be a disruptor up the middle. Can ruin alot of offensive gameplans that way

I agree.  Oliver had a strong showing last night.  I'm looking forward to him wreaking havoc.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The most polished player in that draft was Baker Mayfiled.  A “polished” Guard is nice but...come on. 

There you go again.  Being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.  Arguing who is more polished due to the position he plays.  Doesnt it get tiring?  Always just wanting to argue.

11 minutes ago, Magox said:

There you go again.  Being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.  Arguing who is more polished due to the position he plays.  Doesnt it get tiring?  Always just wanting to argue.

I was disagreeing with the poster saying Nelson, a Guard, was the “most polished player in the draft”.  How would anyone not be allowed to argur that’s not true?

What confused you there?

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was disagreeing with the poster saying Nelson, a Guard, was the “most polished player in the draft”.  How would anyone not be allowed to argur that’s not true?

What confused you there?

Well Nelson all prod and lots would agree he was the most polished

But it's all opinion