Baldy breaks down Oliver vs Nelson

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How much football do you have to watch to determine a rookie O lineman (a Guard, no less) on a team outside of your division is better than all others in the NFL at his position AND better than nearly every player who has ever played that position in the games history?

Sometimes I think you just argue to argue.

He was viewed as the best guard prospect coming into college in over a decade.  Became first team All-pro his rookie year.  For someone to take a guess that he will be a generational talent based off that is not a stretch and certainly not worth arguing about.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How much football do you have to watch to determine a rookie O lineman (a Guard, no less) on a team outside of your division is better than all others in the NFL at his position AND better than nearly every player who has ever played that position in the games history?

It might help if you familiarize yourself with the term "generational talent."  Here's a hint: it doesn't mean "best ever."

• Haha (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, zonabb said:

This guy in unlistenable. Holy hell. Guys like this is what drove me away from TV commentating. Can anyone who covers the NFL speak like a professional, use a player's actual name (how many times can you try to be cool and hip as a dorky suburban white guy and say Big Q?), stop screaming and yelling, avoid hyperbole, and have an actual informed conversation instead of a slang-ridden, hip-hop rap take? These idiots could take some lessons from anyone cover the English Premier League, who are technically superior to any of the jokers covering the NFL. 

Speaking of avoiding hyperbole...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

It might help if you familiarize yourself with the term "generational talent."  Here's a hint: it doesn't mean "best ever."

It means once in a generation talent. That would make such a player “better than every other player who has ever played” that position.  Pretty simple definition of “generational”.  

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It means once in a generation talent. That would make such a player “better than every other player who has ever played” that position.  Pretty simple definition of “generational”. 

How long do you think is a "generation"?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What about other generational talents that were better? 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Sometimes I think you just argue to argue.

He was viewed as the best guard prospect coming into college in over a decade.  Became first team All-pro his rookie year.  For someone to take a guess that he will be a generational talent based off that is not a stretch and certainly not worth arguing about.

I think it’s common sense to conclude that one season doesn’t make one a generational player.  Draft pick? Sure.  What if he whiffs this year (relatively) this year? 

Is Suh a generational talent?  Another All Pro Rookie.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think it’s what it is typically defined as...about 25 years

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Peyton and Brady are generational talents. Both of them played in the same generation with Brady extending the time frame. As usual you are making a picayune point for the sake of supporting your quarrelsome position. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think it’s what it is typically defined as...about 25 years

Pretty much.  So he's they type of talent comes along once in every 25 years.  Doesn't mean he is or will be the best ever.  But what he is right now is arguably the best OG in the game and Oliver was giving him all he could handle.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Pretty much.  So he's they type of talent comes along once in every 25 years.  Doesn't mean he is or will be the best ever.  But what he is right now is arguably the best OG in the game and Oliver was giving him all he could handle.

He had a great rookie year and Oliver handled him for a few preseason snaps.  I’m on board with all that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Peyton and Brady are generational talents. Both of them played in the same generation with Brady extending the time frame. As usual you are making a picayune point for the sake of supporting your quarrelsome position. 

No I’m just helping you understand the term generational talent, which certainly allows for 2 at the same time...but not many others, you know, by definition.  

And at what point in his career did you label Brady a generational talent?  After how many SB wins? Lol

47 minutes ago, Doc said:

At worst you should be in the conversation for best ever if you are the best of a generation. Generation is thought of as about 15-20 years typically. Think, baby boomers, generation X, millenials, generation Z etc. 

Really in our more modern society it should be thought of as about 25-35 years with couples often waiting to their late 20's start families now.

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

At worst you should be in the conversation for best ever if you are the best of a generation. Generation is thought of as about 15-20 years typically. Think, baby boomers, generation X, millenials, generation Z etc. 

Really in our more modern society it should be thought of as about 25-35 years with couples often waiting to their late 20's start families now.

In the conversation sure, but not necessarily the best ever.  And I've always thought it was 20-30 years.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

In the conversation sure, but not necessarily the best ever.  And I've always thought it was 20-30 years.

Yeah closer to 30 makes more sense in today's world. Most people are not having kids at 18-20 years old. But if you look at the commonly defined spreads of for Gen X,Y,Z etc. they are usually up to 20 years but not longer.

• Like (+1) 1