Would you be okay if Josh is next Cutler?

Ga boy

On 8/9/2019 at 8:13 PM, Ga boy said:

Josh is looking a lot like Jay Cutler but our guy appears to have more leadership skills.  I was always amazed that Jay could zip it all over the field with nothing to show for it.  During his 2nd season, I'd like to see Josh look more like Brett Favre than Jay.  Can he do it??

If he can line up outside, and smoke a cigarette while scoring a SB victory, I wouldn't hate it. Seriously tho, Josh cares more=better career. 

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

To the OP: I think you picked the wrong comp player, kind of by accident.

Cutler is a buzz word for "disinterested slacker who doesn't give a ***** except for his paycheck."

I don't think you meant it that way; I assume you meant the comparison to be based on Cutler's actual talent level and skill as a QB on a football field.

For that reason, you might want to provide a different comp player.

Folks here are not interpreting your question to be about Allen's skill level, but rather, how he scores in the intangible areas like guts, determination, leadership, teamwork, and that sort of thing.

I was definitely looking for the skill set comp.  I'm worried that Josh could be that guy … strong arm, no accuracy, risky, picks, all of which translates into the Bills being totally annoying.  I see that Cutler and Favre had similar skill sets, but Brett was a winner.  I'm sure that others will not agree that they had similar skill sets.  Brett threw a lot of crazy picks, but he's in HOF.  Leadership wise, I see Josh comp to Brett, and skill set too.  There's s fine line between being a Cutler or Brett when comparing skill sets.  You have to agree that Cutler had a bazooka.  My primary premise was that would most be okay if Josh ends up the next Cutler in terms of production.  Of course, we would be happier if he was the next Brett, but what's the chance of that happening?  What I've seen so far, it looks like he'll be closer to Cutler.  Could we live with that?  Go Bills!!

1 hour ago, disco said:

Obviously I wouldn't be ok with the other aspects of Cutler that made him less than I think he perhaps could have been. However just on production...if he put up Jay Cutler numbers over a career it could be argued that would make him the most productive QB in Bills history.

And sure I'm stretching that somewhat for reaction with Jim...but just for reference, the regular season career totals of two QBs below - one is Jim Kelly and one is Jay Cutler.

Games

Yards

TD

INT

Rating

84.4%

85.3%

That's actually a compliment to Kelly given the era he played in.  Cutler was an above average starting QB that showed flashes of greatness who lacked leadership skills. 

Cam Newton is the best comparison to Allen and I'd be happy if he put up his numbers.

Only if it was the Jay Cutler without his head up his azs, 

Just sayin, 

Go Bills!!!

10 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Yall think Allen can start for one full season before you give up on him? Bunch of wankers here

By the same token, you could say it's kind of silly to compare him to guys like Elway and Favre before we've seen him play a full season. It's pretty much wait and see at this point. Talent will never be a question. Work ethic will never be a question. Accuracy/decision making could linger as issues. It's also completely conceivable that he can be a top 10 guy even if he never makes a quantum leap in the areas we'd like to see him improve upon.

Optimism is fine and there are legitimate reasons, but there are also some concerns. Let's see how he plays this season before we declare him the next John Elway OR the next Tannehill.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/10/2019 at 5:43 AM, Ga boy said:

Josh is looking a lot like Jay Cutler but our guy appears to have more leadership skills.  I was always amazed that Jay could zip it all over the field with nothing to show for it.  During his 2nd season, I'd like to see Josh look more like Brett Favre than Jay.  Can he do it??

He may end up being more like Mathew Stafford...Just good enough to keep going every year, but not become the difference maker.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ganesh said:

He may end up being more like Mathew Stafford...Just good enough to keep going every year, but not become the difference maker.

He’s who I thought of.  Slings the ball all over the field but is mediocre in the red zone.