Would you be okay if Josh is next Cutler?

Ga boy

Josh is looking a lot like Jay Cutler but our guy appears to have more leadership skills.  I was always amazed that Jay could zip it all over the field with nothing to show for it.  During his 2nd season, I'd like to see Josh look more like Brett Favre than Jay.  Can he do it??

• Sad 1

I think most folks around here are expecting him to be much better than Cutler, and would be gutted if he ended up around that level.

I'm not one of them.  The comp. I have been going with is Ryan Tannehill.  

My fear is that Allen will prove good enough to keep the illusion of quality about him for a long time, while not really being very good in the end, resulting in a prolonged Allen era where the team doesn't really go anywhere.

I.E., kind of like the Tannehill led Dolphins.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Josh is looking a lot like Jay Cutler but our guy appears to have more leadership skills.  I was always amazed that Jay could zip it all over the field with nothing to show for it.  During his 2nd season, I'd like to see Josh look more like Brett Favre than Jay.  Can he do it??

Like Jay Cutler, but with more leadership skills...

Uh...***** yes

Isn't that just Brett Favre?

He has the same passion and competitiveness

To the OP: I think you picked the wrong comp player, kind of by accident.

Cutler is a buzz word for "disinterested slacker who doesn't give a ***** except for his paycheck."

I don't think you meant it that way; I assume you meant the comparison to be based on Cutler's actual talent level and skill as a QB on a football field.

For that reason, you might want to provide a different comp player.

Folks here are not interpreting your question to be about Allen's skill level, but rather, how he scores in the intangible areas like guts, determination, leadership, teamwork, and that sort of thing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Jay Cutler -- no; Brett Favre--yes

Am I unreasonable?

Well considering I’ve seen some people comparing Allen to Elway and saying he will better than Newton, no, that’s not unreasonable.  

I mean Cutler has all the tools like Allen.  He just was a giant d bag who was a terrible leader. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well considering I’ve seen some people comparing Allen to Elway and saying he will better than Newton, no, that’s not unreasonable.  

I mean Cutler has all the tools like Allen.  He just was a giant d bag who was a terrible leader. 

Well, I think that's right. So Cutler with great character and a natural leader is a pretty good recipe, no? Not proof it will work out, but I like my chances if that's what I got.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Do tell, in what ways ? Simply "zip it all over the field" makes Allen look like 50 other QBs over the last decade. 

20 hours ago, Ga boy said:

When josh was drafted I made Upside projections to Cutler ->Elway. I definitely thing he's cut from that mold. but he's still got a long way to go to get to Cutler level. Right now, he's probably closest to Josh Freeman.

• Haha (+1) 1