[Vague Title] Trade alert...

19 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I have an oak tree on my property that's harder to get around than Connor McDermott.

I thought McGhin looked pretty good last night. I know he was only playing vs. scrubs, but he looked solid.

At least the oak tree kind of moves its branches in the wind.....me watching McDermott play LT last night...image.png.46f6419d52b6e8478bfe3c990b64514f.png

Edited by JoeF
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This is probably just a camp body for camp body trade. Not likely to be consequential.

I agree but like the move nonetheless. The fringe roster guys on the DL are better than the fringe roster guys on the OL. Bates can also be a PS guy. These are the types of moves that good organizations make. Whether he makes it or not, he has a better chance to help this team than Harold had. The Bills are staying active and not getting complacent. I love that mentality.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, HOUSE said:

This does NOT mean a Superbowl

It could ensure a 3-1 record in pre-season though.

The impact of this trade won’t truly be felt until Wednesday.

Don’t ask me why Wednesday. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

Versatility than we can use. Bring him in!

Yep - versatility and more depth at a position that has gone from strong to thin in regards to some of the talent. I am sure they are liking the tackle - guard - center ability.

You already have Ford who could move to RT in a pinch and Teller who can fill at either Guard spot, but if both Morse and Bodine go down the situation would likely create a lot of scrambling and shuffling of line combinations; Not that I am convinced Bodine has done enough to show that he is a long term solution at center, or will make anyone forget that Morse is on the sideline.

I have been skeptical of some of the personnel moves Beane's staff has made, BUT I will tip my hat to a team that seems to tirelessly work to improve the roster. They are an active bunch, and seem to have a good bead on players around the league that may be on the bubble for depth reasons that are worth giving a shot as a Bill.

This is a common sense depth move - it will be interesting to see where Bates gets his practice snaps.

Edited by WideNine

1 hour ago, Lothar said:

Does that put Teller on the wrong side of the bubble again?

I think this is more about Bodine and how bad he looked.  Need depth at Center and Tackle.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

It's a little weird-- almost like he's practicing. Trade a guy who isn't going to make the 53 for another guy who isn't going to make the 53...

Take a position with some depth and get a position with less depth in return.

15 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Yep - versatility and more depth at a position that has gone from strong to thin in regards to some of the talent. I am sure they are liking the tackle - guard - center ability.

You already have Ford who could move to RT in a pinch and Teller who can fill at either Guard spot, but if both Morse and Bodine go down the situation would likely create a lot of scrambling and shuffling of line combinations; Not that I am convinced Bodine has done enough to show that he is a long term solution at center, or will make anyone forget that Morse is on the sideline.

I have been skeptical of some of the personnel moves Beane's staff has made, BUT I will tip my hat to a team that seems to tirelessly work to improve the roster. They are an active bunch, and seem to have a good bead on players around the league that may be on the bubble for depth reasons that are worth giving a shot as a Bill.

This is a common sense depth move - it will be interesting to see where Bates gets his practice snaps.

It is kind of nice to see that some of the OL who would have been starters last year are now delegated to secondary roles. That is the kind of depth achieved in such a short time. In the case of Bates, he does provide versatility, either now or as a developmental player. I didn't see the game, but there are obviously glowing reports across the entire line. The more the pre season plays out, I would not be surprised to see McDermott make additional moves if it means putting the best team on the field.