I hate directv! (rant)

Steptide

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

What about the extra sports channels like CBS sports and Fox sports?

THAT I do not know. The people who have made the move always swear they can get whatever they want. Of course, they don’t know the ridiculous amount of sports I watch, and they can be expected to defend their decision to some extent. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Man, i just started streaming with Amazon, dont tell me its over already?!

What about the extra sports channels like CBS sports and Fox sports?

The golden age of streaming, where you could just "unplug" and get everything for a fraction of the cost is coming to an end.

Networks are starting up their own streaming services and pulling their content from services like Netflix.

The 2 most watched shows on Netflix are Friends and the Office. Both will be gone shortly, exclusive to the networks own service.

There was a short window before greed caught up, but these networks only needed some time to figure out new ways to gouge customers. Cable companies will just provide the internet access and boost the price. 

I'm just amazed that the NFL hasn't gotten in on streaming without all of these ridiculous restrictions. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

How many shows can you record at once?

You can do 5 on DTV,  which happens alot with the wifey.

I believe four.

The thing was I could record every game from Sunday which were shown at 1 pm / 4 pm and then have a chance to watch at my leisure during the week on my DVR. They would show each game at half hour intervals from midnight to 6 am, Mon thru Wed. Each game was only a half hour long with literally no commercials and little commentary... awesome right?

https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-Apps/NFL-SUNDAY-TICKET-Short-Cuts/td-p/4900732

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2019 at 11:55 AM, Marv Levy said:

I tried Reddit NFL Streams last night. It was choppy at first, but i was actually able to watch most of it no problem. I'm surprised the NFL is going bonkers about the Reddit website stream! Anybody else watch it thru Reddit? Just curious.

I think you meant you're surprised the NFL ISN'T going nuts about Reddit. I watch the majority of the games and have no problem. My only real concern is picking up a virus or some kind of malware. I suppose it's not the most ethical way to go about it, but times are tough!

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2019 at 10:44 AM, Steptide said:

I'm venting here, I need to get it all out because my wife doesnt seem to understand. 

Last night, like all of us, I was looking forward to watching the bills. I have not had CBS since the beginning of July and not had ABC since June. I was plenty aware the bills games would be on CBS. First thing I did was bought 2 over the air antennas. One was a cheap 10 dollar one and the other a powered 75 dollar one (both indoor). Anyway, neither of those worked, so I bit the bullet and subscribed to YouTube TV which includes all local channels. As much as I hate paying for both directv and a streaming TV service, at least I'd be able to watch my bills. 

Low and behold, YouTube had the bills game blocked on CBS last night and directv has no CBS where I live. I tried in a fit of rage to get my antenna working but no luck. I called directv and lost my mind on them. After that I attempted to watch the game via the bills app, but the stream was sketchy at best. Very pixalated and constantly cutting out. 

I called directv back again (to see if there was a way I could watch ppv) and the woman told me that CBS and directv agreed to a deal and I should have cbs (which I didnt). She then transfers me to tech support who tells me that CBS DID reach a deal, just not where I live. I'm almost to the point of getting spectrum, and paying for both services. Only reason I won't cancel directv is the Sunday Ticket. I can't be the only one in this boat? 

I’m paddling with you.  Direct TV always had some issues but since AT&T took over, it’s been horrible.  Upgraded to the Genie2 hoping the new hardware/software would be better but it’s not.

28 minutes ago, ColeB said:

I’m paddling with you.  Direct TV always had some issues but since AT&T took over, it’s been horrible.  Upgraded to the Genie2 hoping the new hardware/software would be better but it’s not.

Totally agree and have been saying the same thing for a few years now. Before AT&T took over, their customer service was fantastic. Always spoke to someone that spoke english and they were good about any issue you had. Now it's like talking to a brick wall and pulling teeth to talk to someone in the states. I will say they are still pretty helpful if you can get them to transfer you to someone in America. My brother had directv for a few years and had a ton of problems with their streaming app and they couldn't give him a reason it wouldn't work. They've declined greatly 

On 8/9/2019 at 1:44 PM, Steptide said:

I'm venting here, I need to get it all out because my wife doesnt seem to understand. 

Last night, like all of us, I was looking forward to watching the bills. I have not had CBS since the beginning of July and not had ABC since June. I was plenty aware the bills games would be on CBS. First thing I did was bought 2 over the air antennas. One was a cheap 10 dollar one and the other a powered 75 dollar one (both indoor). Anyway, neither of those worked, so I bit the bullet and subscribed to YouTube TV which includes all local channels. As much as I hate paying for both directv and a streaming TV service, at least I'd be able to watch my bills. 

Low and behold, YouTube had the bills game blocked on CBS last night and directv has no CBS where I live. I tried in a fit of rage to get my antenna working but no luck. I called directv and lost my mind on them. After that I attempted to watch the game via the bills app, but the stream was sketchy at best. Very pixalated and constantly cutting out. 

I called directv back again (to see if there was a way I could watch ppv) and the woman told me that CBS and directv agreed to a deal and I should have cbs (which I didnt). She then transfers me to tech support who tells me that CBS DID reach a deal, just not where I live. I'm almost to the point of getting spectrum, and paying for both services. Only reason I won't cancel directv is the Sunday Ticket. I can't be the only one in this boat? 

Just find a stream. I live in Pennsylvania and have been in VA since Wednesday and was able to watch the game in HD on my tablet. 

43 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

So... what the heck was the reason for DIRECTV adding channel 212-1 if every game on it is blacked out?! ?

Pretty sure they only show the alternate game if the main game is blacked out in the area.

14 hours ago, Bangarang said:

If you live in Philly then Bills games aren’t going to show on your local CBS station anyway (unless we play the Eagles).

But we're talking about Direct TV & they're CBS dispute.  Again, I have the ticket... so I can live in Bangkok & it doesn't matter. My point was hopefully direct get it together soon because not having CBS will not only effect NFL fans across the country, but the Bills Backer bars that uses The NFL Ticket. The Ticket is the only way to watch games outside of Buffalo. 

13 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I'd imagine Sunday ticket will still have the bills game showing, going off assumptions that Sunday tickets contract is with the NFL not cbs (or even fox) to show the games

See I was thinking this... but this point would apply to other sources...like Fios, comcast, ect. Locally CBS will still air the NFL games... but because CBS & Direct is in a dispute...Direct won't be airing games on CBS. 

Again...which sucks for people outside of they're favorite teams area code. That means if you have Direct & your a Chiefs fan living in Arizona...you can't watch your Chiefs play. That sucks so hard!

17 hours ago, Steptide said:

So they're showing one pre season game and all the regular season games? What kinda sense does that make 

Apparently the areas that CBS owns CBS directly are back on the air. I guess areas where CBS is owned by nexstar, it's still blacked out. Such bs

that's BS. Any word on nexstar then??

On 8/10/2019 at 1:56 PM, LSHMEAB said:

I think you meant you're surprised the NFL ISN'T going nuts about Reddit. I watch the majority of the games and have no problem. My only real concern is picking up a virus or some kind of malware. I suppose it's not the most ethical way to go about it, but times are tough!

Yes, I meant "Isn't". that was a typo. Thanks!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/9/2019 at 8:14 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

How is it you can get Sunday Ticket by streaming? Don't they have a bunch of restrictions on that? Like you have to live in an apartment complex that doesn't allow satellites or be a college student in a dorm room? So basically a minuscule percentage of the population is eligible to stream Sunday Ticket that way without an actual DirecTV subscription. 

Well, DirectTV Now (AT&T Now is the new name) is just their streaming service and since I have a subscription to that I can get Sunday Ticket. 

I get a decent amount of TV stations, I don't get NFL Network and that sucks but I think with a more expensive package I could, but I get ESPN (I don't really watch that) and I get HBO on top of that I can stream through two devices at one time (that includes my RokuTVs). 

I pay $55/mo for my package (including tax) and then I just pay for Sunday Ticket every year. 

Here is a link https://www.directvnow.com

On 8/10/2019 at 12:00 PM, TheFunPolice said:

The golden age of streaming, where you could just "unplug" and get everything for a fraction of the cost is coming to an end.

Networks are starting up their own streaming services and pulling their content from services like Netflix.

The 2 most watched shows on Netflix are Friends and the Office. Both will be gone shortly, exclusive to the networks own service.

There was a short window before greed caught up, but these networks only needed some time to figure out new ways to gouge customers. Cable companies will just provide the internet access and boost the price. 

I'm just amazed that the NFL hasn't gotten in on streaming without all of these ridiculous restrictions. 

They're starting, are you forgetting some games that are exclusively available on yahoo in recent years? Except in local markets. Yet you're right all of this isall  driven by money from the networks looking to line their pockets now that they aren't making as much money from commercials since they're limited or not seen due to fast forwarding on DVRs etc. Yet I think we're all going to start to realize that ala carte pricing that many want isn't as cost effective when each channel tries to collect $10 a piece. 

Still, when you look into the details of Sunday Ticket streaming you have to "qualify" for their service. There is little rhyme or reason. I put in some of my old addresses, some of which were single family homes and I got a nice "Welcome to the Team!" message. My current address? Nope. Not so special, I guess.

Doesn't matter to me, because I live in WNY and between the Bills games and Red Zone I have no need for the ticket anymore. But I know it matters to a lot of other people. 

It should be exactly this simple: if you want it and have the money you can buy it at the price the NFL or whoever the partner is wants to charge for it. Practically every other sports league of any importance figured this out long ago. Even the NHL, which seems determined to bury its own product and has a commissioner that I am convinced hates his sport and its fans. 

From a quick Wikipedia search:

NFL purposely chose a provider that is a PIA for people to use because they really don't want out of market games being shown. "Watch your home team" is what the owners probably would say. That and "get off my lawn!" 

I wonder what the limit on how much an out of market fan would pay to see their team is. The amount people spend on games, parking, food is a lot. Would (say) a Chiefs fan stuck in Maine be willing to pay $500 for the season, knowing he/she couldn't make it to the games? $1000? 

The NFL wants to keep a lid on this and thus increase viewership for the local market. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

Just to check in with DTV via an online chat, I asked if any ST promos were available and here was the exchange:

Shane: Thanks for your patience. Upon checking, unfortunately all the special offers for the NFL Sunday Ticket are no longer available.
Me: When were they available?
Shane: Special offers are changing monthly and they are for a limited time. You can definitely check our website at&t.com for options.

What a load of crap.  So it's luck of the draw when you check in for promos.  The time to check could have been yesterday, a week ago or even an hour ago.