I hate directv! (rant)

Steptide

15 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I cut ties with Direct TV after they stopped showing the "shortcuts" on Mon, Tues, Wed nights. I used to record the games I wanted to review and watch at my leisure during the week. I loved watching the games with no announcer comments or commercials. I mean, who can watch so many games all at once anyway. Better to just watch the highlights on various channels.

I switched to Spectrum and get NFL network along with the red zone package . I watched the game last night on channel 8.  I also have their high speed internet 119.1 mpbs download, 11.2 upload along with a landline. I haven't looked back...especially when it rains. :)

How many shows can you record at once?

You can do 5 on DTV,  which happens alot with the wifey.

15 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I cancelled DTV 3 days ago and will go with Hulu Live as an alternative ($45/mo, w/local channels).   

I also subscribe to NFL Gamepass Europe.     You can download the app from 3rd party sites on the web to get around the geo restrictions for installing the app.

I use a VPN service to spoof my location before I launch the app.    I also configured my wifi router to connect to the VPN so I can chromecast from the app to my 65" TV.     It's beautiful, the quality is superb.   NFL Gamepass Europe Pro version also includes RedZone and NFL Network live stream.    IIRC I paid about $180 US.

If they really wanted to, the NFL could use a service like Geoguard to block VPNs, but there are probably so many of us that they'd be losing significant revenue if they went that route.   This way I'm not cheating the NFL by watching a pirated stream... I'm paying them, while giving a big middle finger to DTV :)

that sounds way too complicated for me.

15 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'll bet Sunday Ticket is pretty much the only thing keeping Direct TV afloat at this point. It's a PIA for anyone who rents (yes, the law says you can have it but many landlords don't care and it's a nightmare), when the weather is bad you can't watch TV, the the customer service has gotten worse and worse. 

Back when we rented in a large apartment building we were out of the Bills market area (stuck in the crappy NE zone) and I was willing to subscribe to Direct TV and leave the box unopened in my closet, just so I could get streaming access to the games and watch the Bills. We also had cable at the time for internet and TV. I could not install the dish anywhere and the landlord wouldn't even allow us to use a tripod on our private porch, which probably would not have worked anyway. Direct TV insisted that I had to actually install their equipment or they could not allow me to pay for the service, even if I wanted to. So they got zero $$ instead. The whole thing with Direct TV and the NFL is plain stupid. 

The NFL likes it this way, because in their minds making it as difficult as possible for fans to see out of market games is a good thing, because they think it will increase attendance and viewership for the in-market games. Instead, people just find free online streams and they don't get a dime. 

Most other sports have streaming packages that anyone can sign up and pay for and watch legally, which benefits everyone. The NFL is stuck in the past when it comes to this. 

All that said, I think we're about to see the end of the golden age of streaming. Everyone wants their own apps now with exclusive content, so the days of Netflix or Hulu having what you need are coming to and end very soon. You'll have to subscribe to 11 different services to watch what you want. 

Man, i just started streaming with Amazon, dont tell me its over already?!

14 hours ago, Augie said:

Hey, that’s worth a try! I have it set to record again at 2:00am replay, but I’ll check this out today. 

It seems they are making a comeback as people get fed up with cable and DTV. One guy just yesterday was telling how much better the picture is than cable. I know several people moving to antennas and saving a lot of money. Add Netflix and maybe HULU, etc and forget the cable bill. 

What about the extra sports channels like CBS sports and Fox sports?

17 hours ago, Marv Levy said:

I tried Reddit NFL Streams last night. It was choppy at first, but i was actually able to watch most of it no problem. I'm surprised the NFL is going bonkers about the Reddit website stream! Anybody else watch it thru Reddit? Just curious.

Maybe I did and maybe I didn’t. ?

If I did, it would have been a clear, uninterrupted picture that may have been about two plays behind live action. 

16 hours ago, matter2003 said:

get IPTV. $15 a month, all games and channels. This is a recording.

I’m curious, how is IPTV able to broadcast games?  Other sports as well?

17 hours ago, Steptide said:

I'm venting here, I need to get it all out because my wife doesnt seem to understand. 

Last night, like all of us, I was looking forward to watching the bills. I have not had CBS since the beginning of July and not had ABC since June. I was plenty aware the bills games would be on CBS. First thing I did was bought 2 over the air antennas. One was a cheap 10 dollar one and the other a powered 75 dollar one (both indoor). Anyway, neither of those worked, so I bit the bullet and subscribed to YouTube TV which includes all local channels. As much as I hate paying for both directv and a streaming TV service, at least I'd be able to watch my bills. 

Low and behold, YouTube had the bills game blocked on CBS last night and directv has no CBS where I live. I tried in a fit of rage to get my antenna working but no luck. I called directv and lost my mind on them. After that I attempted to watch the game via the bills app, but the stream was sketchy at best. Very pixalated and constantly cutting out. 

I called directv back again (to see if there was a way I could watch ppv) and the woman told me that CBS and directv agreed to a deal and I should have cbs (which I didnt). She then transfers me to tech support who tells me that CBS DID reach a deal, just not where I live. I'm almost to the point of getting spectrum, and paying for both services. Only reason I won't cancel directv is the Sunday Ticket. I can't be the only one in this boat? 

So question... I'm also using direct tv for the Sunday Ticket...if they don't have CBS, how will that effect the ticket??? 

In other words...will the Ticket have CBS games???  I'm in philly & it's either my house or the Bills Backer Bar... but we both use Direct Tv... 

15 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Sounds like you’re better off taking your business somewhere else.

I'm with the other guy... you can't take your business elsewhere when they have the only thing your trying to pay for.

I only use direct for the Ticket...then I suspend my account for 7 months... then pick it back up during September. 

I might blast off on them if they tell me "Direct still doesn't have CBS..." cause where in the World do you watch a Bills game in Philly?!?!?

2 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I might blast off on them if they tell me "Direct still doesn't have CBS..." cause where in the World do you watch a Bills game in Philly?!?!?

You're not supposed to watch Bills games in Philly. You live in Philly, you're supposed to watch the Eagles. For the ones complaining about the game being blacked out, IMO its the NFL's way of getting back at the fans for getting rid of the local blackouts. Preseason games are a regional broadcast shown for the fans who live in the region. For the ones who don't live in WNY, maybe you should have left.  

12 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

You're not supposed to watch Bills games in Philly. You live in Philly, you're supposed to watch the Eagles. For the ones complaining about the game being blacked out, IMO its the NFL's way of getting back at the fans for getting rid of the local blackouts. Preseason games are a regional broadcast shown for the fans who live in the region. For the ones who don't live in WNY, maybe you should have left.  

You can't dictate people living situations...come on dude... that's not right ?  

That's like you living in Buffalo & me telling you...your not suppose to watch Eagles games because you live in Buffalo.  That's just flat out wrong...

Edited by Scorp83
Typo

13 hours ago, youthemanog said:

I emailed my local cbs programming person. She said that the only preseason game that will be streamed is the 8/23 game. The regular season will all be streamed. I switched from direct tv to YouTube tv and saved $100 per month

So they're showing one pre season game and all the regular season games? What kinda sense does that make 

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Me too. Might look into YouTube TV or switch to spectrum.

how can they reach a deal but not in all areas!?!? What kind of BS is this!! Just checked and nope!! They have to make a deal with every region ????

Apparently the areas that CBS owns CBS directly are back on the air. I guess areas where CBS is owned by nexstar, it's still blacked out. Such bs

1 hour ago, Scorp83 said:

I'm with the other guy... you can't take your business elsewhere when they have the only thing your trying to pay for.

I only use direct for the Ticket...then I suspend my account for 7 months... then pick it back up during September. 

If you live in Philly then Bills games aren’t going to show on your local CBS station anyway (unless we play the Eagles).

2 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

So question... I'm also using direct tv for the Sunday Ticket...if they don't have CBS, how will that effect the ticket??? 

In other words...will the Ticket have CBS games???  I'm in philly & it's either my house or the Bills Backer Bar... but we both use Direct Tv... 

I'd imagine Sunday ticket will still have the bills game showing, going off assumptions that Sunday tickets contract is with the NFL not cbs (or even fox) to show the games

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

that sounds way too complicated for me.

Its really not that difficult. I did that a few years ago and it worked great (only issue was sound quality was not 100%, but maybe 90% when using Chromecast to tv).

First, download a geo spoofing app like Fake GPS. If you search NFL Gamepass APK, you can then download what isn't available in the states via Google Play, etc. Based on the fake "Euro location" you choose, there may be a different charge, so you may want to research based on country (Example: a few years ago, it was like $99 in The Netherlands, but $180 in Spain). As for payment, they will accept your US address credit card. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

From what I understand, you should be fine for all games that aren't being broadcasted locally to you. The negotiations between DTV and CBS stations is based on individual, regional stations specifically. So even though some DTV customers are getting CBS back, its strictly based on where they live, because those individual stations are striking new deals w/DTV. Also, when you watch a game via ST, you dont see the local stations' paid commercials, you only see the commercials that have paid the NFL directly. That's because you arent watching any local station's feeds. Those broadcasts belong to the NFL. When you try to watch a game on ST that is being broadcast locally in your area, it is blacked out on ST and you are forced to watch the local feed. That's where you may encounter an issue. So if the Bills aren't being broadcast on the Philly CBS affiliate at all this year, you're good.

Sure you can. There are work-arounds that are described in this thread.

What you wont get is the 4 or 8 game mix channels for NFL games. And no option to record unless you purchase something seprately for that.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I love it when people try to make a point and don't have a clue what they're talking about. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1