I hate directv! (rant)

Steptide

I'm venting here, I need to get it all out because my wife doesnt seem to understand. 

Last night, like all of us, I was looking forward to watching the bills. I have not had CBS since the beginning of July and not had ABC since June. I was plenty aware the bills games would be on CBS. First thing I did was bought 2 over the air antennas. One was a cheap 10 dollar one and the other a powered 75 dollar one (both indoor). Anyway, neither of those worked, so I bit the bullet and subscribed to YouTube TV which includes all local channels. As much as I hate paying for both directv and a streaming TV service, at least I'd be able to watch my bills. 

Low and behold, YouTube had the bills game blocked on CBS last night and directv has no CBS where I live. I tried in a fit of rage to get my antenna working but no luck. I called directv and lost my mind on them. After that I attempted to watch the game via the bills app, but the stream was sketchy at best. Very pixalated and constantly cutting out. 

I called directv back again (to see if there was a way I could watch ppv) and the woman told me that CBS and directv agreed to a deal and I should have cbs (which I didnt). She then transfers me to tech support who tells me that CBS DID reach a deal, just not where I live. I'm almost to the point of getting spectrum, and paying for both services. Only reason I won't cancel directv is the Sunday Ticket. I can't be the only one in this boat? 

• Like (+1) 4

I tried Reddit NFL Streams last night. It was choppy at first, but i was actually able to watch most of it no problem. I'm surprised the NFL is going bonkers about the Reddit website stream! Anybody else watch it thru Reddit? Just curious.

Edited by Marv Levy
  • Like (+1) 5

I’ll one up you.

I set my DVR to record the game a few days ago on DTV NFL1 channel . It showed up on the guide and I was getting more and more excited.

I actually had someplace to be but skipped it last night as it was the last game I get to see with my son before he leaves for freshman year of college Sunday.

He had Seinfeld on at 6:59 when we switched over and the game was Blacked out in Charlotte?!?!?!????

I , too, lost my mind in a fit of anger.

I tried to get an “ alternate streaming site” to open on my smart TV and my TVs web browser wouldn't allow me to open it ( some kind of BS chicanery going on there which I will have to research)

I ended up finding a stream on my desktop and we watched the game on a 17” screen. Better than nothing but it still pushes me off.

My anger is placed towards the NFL regarding preseason games. Its preseason for Christ sake give the fans a little something for their years of loyalty.

$99 for gamepass that includes a bunch of perks I have ZERO interest in

Sad IMO

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I’ll one up you.

I set my DVR to record the game a few days ago on DTV NFL1 channel . It showed up on the guide and I was getting more and more excited.

I actually had someplace to be but skipped it last night as it was the last game I get to see with my son before he leaves for freshman year of college Sunday.

He had Seinfeld on at 6:59 when we switched over and the game was Blacked out in Charlotte?!?!?!????

I , too, lost my mind in a fit of anger.

I tried to get an “ alternate streaming site” to open on my smart TV and my TVs web browser wouldn't allow me to open it ( some kind of BS chicanery going on there which I will have to research)

I ended up finding a stream on my desktop and we watched the game on a 17” screen. Better than nothing but it still pushes me off.

Had this same issue. Directv guide was showing this on my TV also and Nothin. So stupid and frustrating 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

I watched on Hulu live. Dvr'd it too and tested that I can fast forward through commercials on playback. I was really happy with the service. Stream was in HD and had no choppy/lag issues. This is over 5ghz wifi too.

So a quick check of Hulu live. You have to be in a market showing the game to watch it or can you get any game in any market?

6 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

I watched on Hulu live. Dvr'd it too and tested that I can fast forward through commercials on playback. I was really happy with the service. Stream was in HD and had no choppy/lag issues. This is over 5ghz wifi too.

Good to know. Wonder why it would work on Hulu and not YouTube TV. Where do u live? 

9 minutes ago, Marv Levy said:

I tried Reddit NFL Streams last night. It was choppy at first, but i was actually able to watch most of it no problem. I'm surprised the NFL is going bonkers about the Reddit website stream! Anybody else watch it thru Reddit? Just curious.

Yeah I watched it on Reddit, besides the occasional window closing because of an ad, it really wasn't that bad. 

• Like (+1) 2

I had 212-1 set up on DirecTV and it said Buffalo vs Colts but when the game started the screen went black, and of course the message you are out of area and are not allowed

This happens every time their is an alternate channel listed for the Bills or Sabres. Its a place holder for those in market or those who paid for Centre Ice for Hockey and that is all

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

So a quick check of Hulu live. You have to be in a market showing the game to watch it or can you get any game in any market?

Yeah, i watched it on local channel 7

Just now, Steptide said:

Good to know. Wonder why it would work on Hulu and not YouTube TV. Where do u live? 

Im in Buffalo area

Direct TV / ATT doesn't care about customers anymore.  Cable is not a profitable division for them, they are launching their own app soon and are waging a price war with local channels all over the country (in Columbus we haven't had NBC for 2 months).

21 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

CBS is still blacked out for me so I’m looking into alternative services. 

Don’t take your frustrations out on innocent call center workers. 

Call center workers who 4 days ago said they'd send me a free antenna that plugs into my cable box for local channels, only to tell me last night that this antenna they were supposed to send (which they didn't and never told they wernt sending it) doesnt work with my directv box? Yes, innocent call center employees who are other countries and can't understand what I'm asking 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Super frustrated by Directv, too. Had the game set to record on 212-1, and when I went to watch it late last night, the first 45 minutes were blackout out, but then the rest of the game recorded, so I missed almost all of the first quarter. I don't know why they would blackout a portion of the game? I'm in VA. Very strange, but, to be honest, it is just one more nail in the coffin for them. They are terrible.

34 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

CBS is still blacked out for me so I’m looking into alternative services. 

Don’t take your frustrations out on innocent call center workers. 

Its up to Direct TV to protect their call center workers by providing adequate services/alternatives. That is who they stick in front of you to represent them. Id be more then glad to voice my opinions at the higher up execs that are behind their desks in hiding..

Edited by badassgixxer05
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Marv Levy said:

I did. It was great. No problems.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Marv Levy said:

I use reddit to watch MLB. It's great. I did use it last night for the game too. I'm in phoenix and it was blacked out on Directv for me.

• Like (+1) 1