Wyatt Teller dominating run block

Bocephuz

I’ve been on the side that believes he’ll have a hard time making this team with all the additions to the OL. As some have mentioned he won’t be a starter and only plays one position and this regime seems keen on bench players being versatile. 

Maybe, they can flip him for a TE ??‍♂️

On 8/9/2019 at 1:33 PM, K-9 said:

Nice. Those counter treys remind me of our golden age.

EDIT: on second viewing, I see it wasn’t a counter trey. But those pulling linemen are reminiscent of our golden age none the less.

I noticed quite a few plays involving pulling linemen. Since Greg Roman left, and especially since Incognito and Wood left, the Bills really haven't pulled linemen across the line very often. Good to see that it looks to be a factor this year, especially if McCoy is still in the fold.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/9/2019 at 10:45 PM, Phil The Thrill said:

Teller might not make the football team.  He doesn’t have the position flexibility that the team likes compared to guys like John Feliciano, Spencer Long, or even this Ryan Bates character.

The fact that he was a Bills draft pick should buy him at least one more year but he needs to start performing on a consistent basis

Both very good points. This staff doesn't like letting go of their drafted players, and versatility is definitely coveted and a great strategy.

BUT, at some point, having a player that is or could be very good at one position should trump a player that is just serviceable at multiple positions.

Having big, athletic linemen that can pull adds another dimention and opens up the playbook in the run game, which only helps a young QB in the passing game. Josh Allen could really benefit from forcing defenses to put 8 in the box, and that only happens when you run the ball well. Pulling linemen creates an outnumber situation, and turns runs to the weak side into a strong side. McCoy really benefitted from pulls under Rex and Roman, and a young back like Singletary could really benefit from them, as he learns the speed of the game, and tries to build confidence. 

Back to Teller; what message are you sending your team by cutting a player that out-performed others, in favor of versatility? Now if these versatile guys step their game up and can do some of what Teller does well, then you have a discussion. But most of these versatile linemen are on one year deals, so that will factor in as well.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I noticed quite a few plays involving pulling linemen. Since Greg Roman left, and especially since Incognito and Wood left, the Bills really haven't pulled linemen across the line very often. Good to see that it looks to be a factor this year, especially if McCoy is still in the fold.

It’s nice to see indeed. Tailor made for Shady, I’d say. I’m also hoping that their ability to get out and block in space bodes well for their ability to block on screens. We’ve been a crap screen team for several years now. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2019 at 3:28 PM, mjt328 said:

For those suggesting he will have trouble making the roster, I disagree.

I think Wyatt Teller is pretty safe.

Teams generally keep 9-10 offensive linemen on the final roster.

The following six guys are pretty much locks:  Mitch Morse, Quinton Spain, Jon Feliciano, Dion Dawkins, Cody Ford and Ty Nsekhe.  I think Spencer Long would also be a heavy favorite, especially because of his versatility at Center.  LaAdrian Waddle would have probably been next, until his injury.  Being on IR, he won't count towards the 53.

So the rest of the crowd is fighting for the last two... possibly even three spots.

Teller basically needs to beat-out Ike Boettger, De'Ondre Wesley, Jarron Jones, Conor McDermott and Garret McGhin.

my money is on Teller. I like Boettger too. send the rest to PS and keep fingers crossed.

On 8/9/2019 at 5:07 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think they kept 10 OL on the original 53 last year.  Using that numer as a guide, I could see the following 10 making it:

Dawkins 

Spain

Morse

Ford

Nsekhe

Feliciano

Long

Teller

Boettger

Wesley

not wesley

On 8/9/2019 at 11:38 PM, Aussie Joe said:

I predict they keep 9 OL... If that’s the case I think he makes it.. 

They can always get a WR or RB off the street  mid season in they need to... much harder with decent OL..

Bills wlil be sending enough WRs to PS as well

On 8/9/2019 at 2:30 PM, VW82 said:

No, Spain. Teller had two holding penalties and they were both in the same Dolphins game. He got his ass kicked in that one. I like him though. The leash will be a short one for Spain, I predict.

Also, to the poster asking about keeping Teller over Long: I think we need to keep three guys who can play center and one of them can't be Bodine. We have to keep Long. Ford can function as the swing tackle should Nsekhe or Dawkins get hurt. This would allow us to also keep Teller.   

I absolutely agree with this and you keep a guy like Bates on the practice squad of two tackles get injured 

On 8/9/2019 at 1:58 PM, dollars 2 donuts said:

John, seriously I would be surprised if they cut him.

Remember the old days when you could develop a linemen.  I think this kid will be ready to fully step in and dominate in 2020, while serving as great relief in 2019.

i;m guessing 4 gds....spain/ feleiciano / long and teller. dawkins / nseke / ford and ? i think ford starts at guard . dawkis, spain, morse, ford , nseke is what i think we;ll start with.

• Like (+1) 1

Second year in the system he should be another that makes a big jump Beane & company just knows talent when they see it the Bills have a very bright future i believe !!

I just hope the rest of the second year players can take that jump to !! ?

23 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Not to take anything away from Teller, but that clip shows him pushing back a second-string linebacker, who is not in front of the ball, and who is 80 pounds lighter than him. 

I had this thought also.  He did effectively get under him to drive him back though. 

Totally Oblivious to how how he does pass pro but sounds like he’s quality depth that hanging around 

On 8/9/2019 at 5:07 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think they kept 10 OL on the original 53 last year.  Using that numer as a guide, I could see the following 10 making it:

Dawkins 

Spain

Morse

Ford

Nsekhe

Feliciano

Long

Teller

Boettger

Wesley

kept only 9 last year for Opening day.   Dion Dawkins, Vladimir Ducasse, John Miller, Jordan Mills, Ryan Groy, Marshall Newhouse, Russell Bodine, Wyatt Teller, Conor McDermott.  Only kept 8 in 2017.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Thanks for reminding me.

? at that group, eh?

yikes, may only keep 2/9 year to year.- Dawkins and Teller

On 8/9/2019 at 9:37 PM, Dr.Sack said:

When I saw this guy and his long hair I was impressed. Beyond those beautiful golden locks of hair & well groomed goatee, there’s a nasty wild man. 

see photo below.  Front left is Teller.  The flow is gone this year as close cut now.  Still a major league gun show going on!

Buffalo Bills Training Camp, August 6, 2019.  Photo by Bill Wippert