Around the AFCE Preseason Games

Heitz

How did our AFCE competition do - anyone catch much?

I watched Darnold's TD drive and while it ended in a TD, I didn't think it was overly impressive.  The first pass he threw should have been picked, but then he went on to hit a couple guys who got some YAC.  It was a nice TD throw (to a receiver that was breaking pretty open).  

I also caught this, but haven't watched yet - all of Other Josh's throws:  

EDIT:  Watched Josh - some good throws, some bad ones, but he was definitely helped out by some nice, contested grabs!  Still, not scared! :D 

I also saw that the Pats won 31 - 3, but didn't see ANY highlights from this one.  Did Brady make it out alive?

EDIT:  A bit on the Pats:  https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2019/08/09/5-takeaways-from-the-patriots-preseason-opening-win-over-the-lions

Anyone have any other impressions on the competition?

Edited by Heitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Rosen had a couple nice throws, but mostly got bailed out by Preston Williams.

Overall, poor pocket presence, doesn't seem to make good decisions, and didn't seem to know what was going on around him. The exact stuff Rosen was supposed to be good at, is the very stuff he's not good at. 

• Like (+1) 1

At least we're not the Lions:

"By halftime, the Lions trailed 20-0, were outgained 262-28 and were booed off the Ford Field turf. The final yardage difference: 459-93. That’s preposterous in any circumstance, and if nothing else, raises alarms about the Lions’ depth. No sense overreacting to one exhibition, but as long as the NFL insists on the charade, it warrants some reaction, and for the Lions, this was a disaster. If you can dig up anything positive, you clearly were over-served."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/columnists/bob-wojnowski/2019/08/09/detroit-lions-show-absolutely-nothing-31-3-loss-new-england-patriots/1953966001/

Oof.

And the Pats only played ONE starter?? WTF...

• Haha (+1) 2

Studs / Duds from the Jets game:  https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/8/9/20798358/studs-duds-from-new-york-jets-preseason-opener-michael-nania

All of Darnold's completions (note, they don't show that first pass where he was almost picked)!  https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/highlights-all-of-sam-darnold-s-completions-vs-the-giants

Edited by Heitz

13 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Studs / Duds from the Jets game:  https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/8/9/20798358/studs-duds-from-new-york-jets-preseason-opener-michael-nania

All of Darnold's completions (note, they don't show that first pass where he was almost picked)!  https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/highlights-all-of-sam-darnold-s-completions-vs-the-giants

Sam is going to be good, but the best thing about him so far is that he takes what the defense gives him.  

Allen has a much higher upside, but needs to adopt that mentality.  If he does, skies the limit (even with some missed throws here and there). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Rosen didn't start did he? Wasn't Fitz named the starter for the first preseason game?

Fitz did start, yes. 

Darnold looked fine, but he clearly doesn't have the ceiling Allen does. Nothing he did looked particularly impressive and it was against preseason defense after all. 

I just watched Phin’s game. Rosen had some good some bad moments. Undrafted WR Preston Williams was a highlight reel. Dolphin’s OL is bad, Fitz is going to get killed. Really sloppy game, a lot of penalties.

Number 16 on the Dolphins needs to find another line of work, he signaled fair catch when no one was within ten yards twice.

Edited by chris heff

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Overall, poor pocket presence, doesn't seem to make good decisions, and didn't seem to know what was going on around him. The exact stuff Rosen was supposed to be good at, is the very stuff he's not good at. 

My impression was a slightly stronger armed Peterman.  He'll be a turnover machine in AFCE

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Jets fans seem to be in panic mode over their secondary. 

As well they should be. Daniel Jones carved them up yesterday. I repeat, DANIEL JONES carved them up. Their offense is gonna be good but their D is far from solid, but them again it is preseason.

23 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

As well they should be. Daniel Jones carved them up yesterday. I repeat, DANIEL JONES carved them up. Their offense is gonna be good but their D is far from solid, but them again it is preseason.

I don’t know if their offense will be good or not.  It certainly could be, but don’t they have one of the worst rated WR units in the NFL, not much in the way of TE and an extremely suspect OL?   

Thats putting a lot on the backs of Sam Darnold, LeVeon Bell and Coaching, no?

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

To be fair, he is a 2nd year player playing for his 2nd coaching staff and in his 2nd offense in his first pre-season game.

Not exactly great circumstances for a young QB.  I’m guessing the game is speeding by him and his mind is just trying to catch up.

5 minutes ago, MDH said:

To be fair, he is a 2nd year player playing for his 2nd coaching staff and in his 2nd offense in his first pre-season game.

Not exactly great circumstances for a young QB.  I’m guessing the game is speeding by him and his mind is just trying to catch up.

Yeah, and that’s a fair concern. Some things (throwing a jump ball when you’re getting nailed) is just bad football choices- again, he was supposed to be “cerebral”. 

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah, and that’s a fair concern. Some things (throwing a jump ball when you’re getting nailed) is just bad football choices- again, he was supposed to be “cerebral”. 

I saw most of his games at UCLA. While he was smart with the ball most of the time he had plenty of instances of “hero ball” too. He and Allen have that very much in common.

2 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Just watched Patriots’ game and have determined that from the owner to the water boy, they are a bunch of cheating, whiny, lying, mother hating, douchebags.

What took you so long?

• Like (+1) 1