Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I agree on that sideline pass.

Wasn't a good pass. Josh just isn't going to be the most accurate QB. But if he can make up for it with his athletic ability and big plays he'll be more than fine and offenses led by him will put up points, IMO. He needs more playmakers around him. The Bills don't have that at the moment.

Agreed. Josh needs guys who can consistently get open. I noticed a lot of the routes that did work on Thurs where either sitting down in space or comeback routes. Josh can be accurate on those. It's when the receiver is moving to the side or on the diagonal that he has problems (and sometimes when he throws to the sidelines). But I think he's going to be a big play guy though, and he's a gamer. We've already seen that. 

Bills had so many areas that desperately needed upgrading on offense the degree of difficulty was harder. Long-term this team needs more play makers  

Edited by VW82

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Josh just isn't going to be the most accurate QB. But if he can make up for it with his athletic ability and big plays he'll be more than fine and offenses led by him will put up points, IMO.

Agreed. Precision accuracy isn't his game. We'll get over it if he keeps reading the defense and rocketing the ball into tight windows. Next year we should go all out for an alpha receiver in free agency or the draft. Someone with a big catch radius. That is the last piece this offense will need to take the next step.

35 minutes ago, VW82 said:

You're a funny guy. I finally got to see the game and I stand by my comment. Josh wasn't very good. He was inaccurate, again. He mostly stared down and threw to his first option. It's clear to me there's a problem with Josh and Zay. Josh misses him on his first couple throws to start the game. Josh turns what might have been a long gain or TD into a difficult catch for Zay along the left sideline (which he makes) in the second series -- instead of lofting it so wide why not force the angle upfield more so Zay can turn and run up the sideline? There was so much space!

By the time Josh throws the infamous drop at the five yard line they've had some missed connections and miscues due to QB error. Zay should have caught and held it at least until the egregious hit to the head which should probably be reviewed by the league. It's possible we might need to separate them as they seem to be feeding each other's weaknesses.

But I can see you don't really want to talk about any of that, so I'll stop here. You can go back to being the hot take arbiter. Have a nice day.

The pattern wasn't going to get a TD.  Jones turns and looks for the ball about 10 yards away from and running towards the sidelines and there's a safety there to stop a TD.  At best maybe Jones gets a few more yards but you're nit-picking for no reason.  And again Jones should have had the TD grab later in the series.

If I’m picking the RBs that make the team, it’s McCoy, Gore, Singletary and Perry,   Perry because of his special team ability, the other guys don’t really provide that value.  

I’d shop Yeldon for a late pick.  

After the first preseason game, I think our best OL would be Dawkins-Teller-Morse-Ford-Nsekhe.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

The pattern wasn't going to get a TD.  Jones turns and looks for the ball about 10 yards away from and running towards the sidelines and there's a safety there to stop a TD.  At best maybe Jones gets a few more yards but you're nit-picking for no reason.  And again Jones should have had the TD grab later in the series.

And Josh shouldn't have airmailed him or thrown it in the dirt in that first series. Maybe they could have scored points if they'd kept that drive going. 

Watch the play again. Josh throws the ball wide and Zay has to adjust his route. It was a catch and in a vacuum that's all that counts but in this case it's another small piece of evidence that those guys aren't on the same page. There are too many miscues between them dating back to last season. It's on both of them at this point.  

Edited by VW82

11 minutes ago, VW82 said:

And Josh shouldn't have airmailed him or thrown it in the dirt in that first series. Maybe they could have scored points if they'd kept that drive going. 

Watch the play again. Josh throws the ball wide and Zay has to adjust his route. It was a catch and in a vacuum that's all that counts but in this case it's another small piece of evidence that those guys aren't on the same page. There are too many miscues between them dating back to last season. It's on both of them at this point.  

The thing is, Zay hasn't been on the page with every QB he's played with so far in the NFL.  At some point you have to say it's the receiver and not the QB.  I just don't know how he can set an NCAA record for receptions and then fail to do the most basic job for a WR.

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

If Jones continues down the path he's going he'll be cut next year and I expect them to bring in a couple big time WRs via FA and draft.... at least I hope. 

I think it’s a given that we will. We had nothing last year. Brown & Beasley were the best we could get in FA, while backing out on AB. We’ll need to replace at least 1 DE/Edge through attrition and a great addition at WR. We’ll have enough $$, if not Draft or trade capital.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

The thing is, Zay hasn't been on the page with every QB he's played with so far in the NFL.  At some point you have to say it's the receiver and not the QB.  I just don't know how he can set an NCAA record for receptions and then fail to do the most basic job for a WR.

Except we've had the privilege of watching the games and so we know it isn't always Zay's fault. Allen is missing him a lot or forcing him to lay out for difficult catches that should have been routine. I agree Zay has a real problem holding onto the football and that issue doesn't appear to be QB dependent. Allen is exacerbating the issue with all the errant throws and Zay is in turn further killing the confidence between them with all the drops. At this point that has to be a factor: deep down they don't have confidence a throw will end in a reception.   

Good

CB - Lafayette Pitts looked nice. If EJ Gaines can't stay healthy I want Pitts to make the roster instead

OL - Feliciano. Mongo looked comfortable at center, a real nasty mauler too

WR - Isiah McKenzie. Can add to the return game. Nice catches. I think he adds more than Ray Ray at a WR and KR/PR

QB - Barkley looked good leading the offense with the #2s and some #3s

Bad:

TJ Yeldon - the fumble, quit on the Cam Phillips TD catch, not much as a runner

Bodine - I was one of few that wanted to give Bodine a chance last year. He is terrible. Long and Feliciano will be asked to step up if Morse has more health issues.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2019 at 8:38 AM, skibum said:

I feel like the preseason games don't mean as much as they should as far as roster decisions go. 

It could be argued that this staff values preseason games too much in making roster decisions.   How a guy performs in the slower and controlled environments of camp and preseason games does not directly translate on how they will perform in real games. 

Guys like Nathan Peterman are prime examples of that.  Give him a controlled environment and he could probably beat out Tom Brady or Big Ben.  

Yeldon is another example - he has a solid 4-year body of work to consider.  He did fumble in the preseason game, but in real NFL games he has fumbled 5 times if 4 years - included zero in 2 playoff games.

Edited by JeffAtl

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think it’s a given that we will. We had nothing last year. Brown & Beasley were the best we could get in FA, while backing out on AB. We’ll need to replace at least 1 DE/Edge through attrition and a great addition at WR. We’ll have enough $$, if not Draft or trade capital.

and next draft is supposed to have a good crop of both those things so that does seem likely.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:19 AM, AllenLongBall said:

But it was not in stride...

Give it a break, Allen. The pass was as perfect as can be. If I were Beane, I would be making some phone calls re: Zay. It may be time to move on. He can't be trusted.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What i am wondering is if we are going to be arguing about it even if the bills are winning games......

You know...because some ppl are never happy?

Probably.  

If Allen ends up with a 2 TD 300 yard passing game and chips in 30 yards on the ground himself, you just know those guys that are going to post it should have been 350 and 3 TDs if Allen had just led this or that guy better, or it was not a great offensive effort but a collapse of the opposing team's defense.

It is a glass half-empty mantra that is very easy to slant one's take on a performance to maintain - just look at the doom and gloom coming out of the D&C news room, or their overt and obvious attempt at trying to stir up a non-existent QB controversy now that we have a capable backup in Barkley. It is the news business after all.

It is still a bit deliberate and mechanical at this point, but I can see Allen going through his shallow to deeper progression reads. He is trying to break the habitual hero-ball things he has leaned on and had success with in the past and incorporate the better habits that the coaches are teaching him that are necessary for sustainable success at an NFL level.

Call it hope if you will, but I am fine with watching this kid grow, and I am pretty certain we have not seen the ceiling yet on where he can take his game. Some will hate to hear this, but I think he has another 2 or 3 seasons before we will see it. Not saying he will suck during that time, realistically we should expect to see ups and downs where the old habits surface and he tries to leap over linebackers and chuck it 70 yards till he gains more experience under center and matures.

Will that be enough to be that franchise QB that Bills faithful have been waiting for - no one here or at OBD knows...but seeing where players are able to take their game is part of enjoying the game.

I used to compare Jones to Josh Reed; at this point, that may have been unfair to Reed. There's just something missing. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well and he doesn't track the ball with confidence. I think they'll keep him around for a little while hoping he can turn the corner, but I don't see it happening.

I'd honestly rather see McKitrick out there over Zay. I think he's an underrated weapon around these parts.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc said:

They kept 6 CB's going into last season.  The locks are White, Wallace, Johnson and Johnson.  They could keep Pitts and Rice and IRDTR Gaines.  I don't know.

Called it.

3 hours ago, WideNine said:

Probably.  

If Allen ends up with a 2 TD 300 yard passing game and chips in 30 yards on the ground himself, you just know those guys that are going to post it should have been 350 and 3 TDs if Allen had just led this or that guy better, or it was not a great offensive effort but a collapse of the opposing team's defense.

It is a glass half-empty mantra that is very easy to slant one's take on a performance to maintain - just look at the doom and gloom coming out of the D&C news room, or their overt and obvious attempt at trying to stir up a non-existent QB controversy now that we have a capable backup in Barkley. It is the news business after all.

It is still a bit deliberate and mechanical at this point, but I can see Allen going through his shallow to deeper progression reads. He is trying to break the habitual hero-ball things he has leaned on and had success with in the past and incorporate the better habits that the coaches are teaching him that are necessary for sustainable success at an NFL level.

Call it hope if you will, but I am fine with watching this kid grow, and I am pretty certain we have not seen the ceiling yet on where he can take his game. Some will hate to hear this, but I think he has another 2 or 3 seasons before we will see it. Not saying he will suck during that time, realistically we should expect to see ups and downs where the old habits surface and he tries to leap over linebackers and chuck it 70 yards till he gains more experience under center and matures.

Will that be enough to be that franchise QB that Bills faithful have been waiting for - no one here or at OBD knows...but seeing where players are able to take their game is part of enjoying the game.

I fully expect him to have some down games and hopefully more good then bad

On 8/9/2019 at 4:55 AM, MAJBobby said:

To me it has been and always will be Yeldon vs Singletary on who makes the roster. 

Same with Perry and Murphy.

the thing about it is I enjoyed the game because Perry does look like he can offer contributions at actual RB as well instead of just being a ST player. I always liked Murphy’s running style. But he is buried 

Murphy is better than Yeldon or Perry.  Don't be surprised if he is the 4th RB.  Perry could still be kept around for STs in that case.  There's always a couple dudes who are just STs.

6 hours ago, VW82 said:

Except we've had the privilege of watching the games and so we know it isn't always Zay's fault. Allen is missing him a lot or forcing him to lay out for difficult catches that should have been routine. I agree Zay has a real problem holding onto the football and that issue doesn't appear to be QB dependent. Allen is exacerbating the issue with all the errant throws and Zay is in turn further killing the confidence between them with all the drops. At this point that has to be a factor: deep down they don't have confidence a throw will end in a reception.   

No, no he’s not. A miss here or there but it’s mostly Zays inabilities at catching a catchable ball. 

7 hours ago, VW82 said:

I don't think Allen and Jones see it that way..........Allen throws the ball to Jones a lot.

Dropzone Jones need to see a hypnotist or something.........he's just not good enough at anything to be dropping catchable throws.