Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think your missing the point

ALL qbs.....and I dont care which one you point to.....Brady...Manning...Rivers....whoever...they ALL throw bad passes.

The difference is that THEIR recievers make plays for them....so the bad passes get forgotten.....and ppl just look to the box score.

Wanna know what I liked from last night?   Put Cole Beasely to work....used a short gain receiver which he did not do a lot last year....didnt immediately take off and run....and didnt take hits.   Its called progression.

Of course all QB's throw bad passes.  However, the ones who throw the least number of bad passes typically have more success in the league. I say typically because there have been players like Favre, however that was a special case.  We have better odds of having a successful championship run if Allen is more accurate than more Favre-like.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

all the lols

His stats aren't great and we didn't score with him in the game. What was your read of it? I'm looking forward to seeing what happened. 

1 hour ago, FiftyPercent said:

As usual, the most impressive element of Allen's game was running.

Didn't Allen only run like once maybe twice?

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I haven't watched the game yet (taping later tonight on NFLN) but I think we can safely say Josh Allen didn't have a great night. He finished 6/11 for only 66 yards and 0 points. People keep talking about Zay's drop. WRs drop the ball sometimes. Good QBs find them enough that it doesn't matter. We clearly tried to put the ball in Allen's hands and unlike his 2018 draft class counterparts his offense didn't produce.  

I've highlighted the important part of this statement.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

Didn't Allen only run like once maybe twice?

I've highlighted the important part of this statement.

He ran once.  Eight yards to the first down marker.  And got out of bounds untouched.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, FiftyPercent said:

That ball is caught likely a high percentage of the time by NFL receivers. However, if the ball is placed so the gate of the WR does not have to change, the completion % of that play increases.

I have had a perfectly cooked filet, and let me tell you, this is at least 3 degrees above mid-rare.

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

His stats aren't great and we didn't score with him in the game. What was your read of it? I'm looking forward to seeing what happened. 

The team didn't score with him in the game because Zay Jones dropped an easy-money TD and the kicker hit the upright on the ensuing attempt.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

The team didn't score with him in the game because Zay Jones dropped an easy-money TD and the kicker hit the upright on the ensuing attempt.

Thank you for this. Allen moved the chains. He was a little amped his first series and then flat out had a very good second series. He was trending in a positive direction before being removed for the night. Hard to see how anyone who watched the game could say he had a poor outing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FiftyPercent said:

Of course all QB's throw bad passes.  However, the ones who throw the least number of bad passes typically have more success in the league. I say typically because there have been players like Favre, however that was a special case.  We have better odds of having a successful championship run if Allen is more accurate than more Favre-like.

Oh I dont know....Farvre did alright?

7 minutes ago, VW82 said:

He missed two passes on his first series, and was nearly perfect on his second, including an EASY TD dropped by jones.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Bodine I disagree on. I don't think he was fine. I think he was pushed around. 

If Bodine is playing Center for this team at any point, we are in trouble.  Either Felciano or Long will be the back up center.  When they are healthy, Bodine is third string, which he should be.  

Just now, FiftyPercent said:

Oh he sure did, that's why I said exception.  If Allen is the next Favre then we're all set.

I just really feel that Josh is a different cat then the NFL is used to seeing

Can make EVERY throw....huge arm

Huge physical specimen

but also a freakishly good running QB

I am wondering if Josh is not more like John Elway

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

You are on an entire different wave length and have zero idea what was even being discussed.

No. I’m pretty sore I’ve got a clue. You were giving praise to Bodine play, and saying he’s a good run blocker. You also made an excuse about his high snap over Barkley’s head, saying it’s not easy to go from a 6’5” QB to a 6’2” QB. And that’s why he had struggles when Barkley was under center. But Bodine didn’t play with Allen at all yesterday and you are clueless. Bodine is terrible. About the only guy worse on the line right now is Ducasse and they should both be cut. 

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I just really feel that Josh is a different cat then the NFL is used to seeing

Can make EVERY throw....huge arm

Huge physical specimen

but also a freakishly good running QB

I am wondering if Josh is not more like John Elway

The similarities to Elway are uncanny, right down to the completion percentage issue. But I don’t think it’s gonna take Allen 10 seasons, like it did Elway,  before he hits that magical 60% threshold that’s been arbitrarily applied as a barometer of how good a QB is. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, FiftyPercent said:

That ball is caught likely a high percentage of the time by NFL receivers. However, if the ball is placed so the gate of the WR does not have to change, the completion % of that play increases.

I get that of course, but can you answer my question. If the coach and you go back to review that tape, who take more of the blame on that Rivers throw? And what percentage of the blame is it?

Just now, jletha said:

I get that of course, but can you answer my question. If the coach and you go back to review that tape, who take more of the blame on that Rivers throw? And what percentage of the blame is it?

Hmm, I have no idea if coaches would use percentage to assign blame, that doesn't sound right to me.  I would think a coach would tell the receiver you have to make that catch, as well as tell the QB you need to place the ball more accurately to increase chance of success. IMO, the majority of the blame on that play goes to the WR.  However, the overall chance of success of the play increases if the ball is better placed.

If QB-X places the ball in stride 8 times out of 10 on that play vs. QB-Y placing it in stride 6 out of 10 times, over the course of a game/season/career, QB-X has the better odds of being more successful in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, FiftyPercent said:

If QB-X places the ball in stride 8 times out of 10 on that play vs. QB-Y placing it in stride 6 out of 10 times, over the course of a game/season/career, QB-X has the better odds of being more successful in the NFL. 

This is brilliant.  I bet you're an engineer.  And I bet you're smarter than DC Tom.  Wicked cool.

• Haha (+1) 2