Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

8 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Remember, he will forever be compared to Mahomes as the Bills essentially passed on Mahomes to draft Allen the following year via the extra draft capital. 

You’re really making a helluva entrance. No one need ‘remember’ as few -if any- will forever compare him to Mahomes. Only fringe fans, like those noobs who get labeled as a troll on their 1st day..

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Remember, he will forever be compared to Mahomes as the Bills essentially passed on Mahomes to draft Allen the following year via the extra draft capital. 

I wonder if you will make it to 100 posts and create a thread. Try to fit in a bit Scooter b4 the hot takes

15 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Are you saying that when the Bills (and others) passed on Mahomes in 2017 they had already decided to draft Allen in 2018?  Because unless that's true there's no rational reason to connect Mahomes to Allen other then as two top QB's in competition.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Good_4_Chad said:

Beasley won't finish the season - Allen has him as his "Fav" already, and only a matter of time before the opposing LB's figure it out, and start running at him already in full speed. QB's like him and Edwards, Manuel, Taylor that struggle to move the chains, usually have a pinata that takes a beating. I remember the beating and injury that TE Derek Schouman took with Edwards.

Schouman  :lol:  Classic

I just saw the 1st quarter (there is a closed thread to a 40 minute video, closed because the link supposed doesn't work... but it does)

Allen supposedly had a bad outing? What? He only did 2 series and one pass was called back for a hold, and Jones dropped a TD. Not a bad drop he had the sun in his eyes, but not a bad pass either. Sure Allen threw 2 bad passes but overall I saw the usual good things out of him, and not bad for a 1st preseason game, with Beasly in the mix. You can"t really say WOW nor say he played bad. But all the good things are there, including one first down run.

Oliver did look like a force out there! But again, let's slow down here LOL

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I rewatched and it seemed to me the throw to Brown down the left sideline he was trying to go back shoulder and they weren’t on the same page.  That should improve with time.

It’s probably the only place that throw could have been successful, Brown didn’t get by the dB, further up its broken up or intercepted...

18 hours ago, CLTbills said:

By the way..... Isn't it nice that all of our griping and discussion is about who should be the #3 and #4 RB's? Kind of nice for a change......

This team is extremely well structured and deep.

We been down top 2 TE and haven't missed a beat there. The OL looked night and day from last year and that's minus an elite C. Defense minus Hyde,Lorax,Hughes didn't miss a beat. 

I know it's just Pre Season but one thing that you can judge is talent , and we're flooded with it in various positions

I just rewatched the condensed version of the game on Game Pass, here are my thoughts:

Tremaine Edmunds looked really fast to the ball in run support.

For the most part, the first two units of the offensive line looked solid. Gave the QBs time, opened some holes in the run game.

I thought Josh looked good for the most part. Had the one bad throw to Zay and the timing with his receivers on the deep ball is obviously not there yet (it will come), but he moved the ball, drew the Colts Offside with his cadence, picked up a first down with his legs. Not bad for a shake the rust off type of game. And its nice to have a backup that can be counted on. It wasn't all good for Barkley, but he played well and I have confidence in him.

The D-line looks stout and deep:

Star and Shaq both looked really good last night. Shaq is so good in the run game, setting the edge, tackles in the backfield, etc. And Star wasn't just eating up blocks, but making plays (could be the extra attention placed on Oliver by the Colts' offense helped).

Trent had a nice QB pressure

Oliver didn't play as great as some people intimated, but he held up very well against a really good player in Nelson and against a number of double teams (the future looks bright for him)

Jordan Phillips had a really good game---nice push up the middle all night, had a QB hit, and a number of other good plays

Hello Daryl Johnson. A whale of a game for the 7th rounder. Got push into the backfield all night, had a sack, a QB hit, and at least 3 more QB pressures

Mike Love was very active. Had at least 4 QB hurries or pressures.

I think Johnson and Love have solidified their spots at #4 and #5 DE. With Horrible Harry backing up Star...I think that is our top 8 defensive linemen.

Yarbrough (love the kid) had a nice sack late in the game, but otherwise I didn't feel like he showed up enough against the Colts' third stringers.

Running Back depth looks phenomenal

Behind the two future hall of famers, Singletary, Sinorise Perry, Marcus Murphy, and Christian Wade all showed up last night. Singletary was very productive as a runner, but even more so as a receiver. Sinorise is a good special teams guy (which helps his case), but showed he could also help out in the run game. He ran tough and had a nice reception and the TD. I would hate to see Murphy cut. I love the way that kid runs the ball. Man he just runs hard every touch and always gets positive yards. Wade is probably destined for the practice squad because he has a lot to still learn, but boy was he electric on his TD run. He looked incredibly fast, like the film was being run in fast forward.

The great Zay debate:

I know a lot of people are down on Zay, so seeing him drop that pass near the goal line was enough for them to feel their opinion is justified. But I'll just say this, Zay was targeted 4 times. Only 3 were catchable balls, as Josh threw the one curl in the dirt. So, Zay went 2 for 3 on catchable balls. The other two were both first downs. An 8-yard reception on 3rd and 4 (with a defender hanging on his back) and a 23-yard reception on 2nd and 10. Yes, I would have liked to see him hold on to that ball at the goal line, but it wasn't an easy grab by any means. He was a bout to get lit up by the safety. But either way, it wasn't all bad for Zay.

Helped Themselves (guys not already mentioned above):

LB Corey Thompson, solid game, always seemed to be in the right position and hitting the holes with some steam

P Corey Carter, dropped one inside the 10 and had a 51 yarder with a lot of hang time, so no return

WR Isiah McKenzie, looked good in both the passing and return game

S Dean Marlowe, with his interception

LB Vosean Joseph, flashed a bit at linebacker and had a huge Special Teams hit/tackle

CB Lafayette Pitts, made some nice plays

CB Denzel Rice, tight coverage, breakup in the endzone, made a 3rd down stop in run support

Hurt Themselves

Russell Bodine, oof, at least now he might get an injury settlement. He will not make this team.

Vlad Ducasse, consistently got beat, it's finally the end of the road for Vlad

P Corey Bojorquez, not a good night for the young punter

T.J. Yeldon, can't fumble the ball, especially with so many other good backs on the roster

David Sills, one drop and an offensive pass interference

Tackles McGin and Wesley, looked a little shaky...it's really too bad that Waddle got injured. Tackle depth could be a problem, even though Ford can kick back out as the swing tackle.

All in all, lots of positives and lots to work on, but a very good first outing for the Bills.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 7

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

This team is extremely well structured and deep.

We been down top 2 TE and haven't missed a beat there. The OL looked night and day from last year and that's minus an elite C. Defense minus Hyde,Lorax,Hughes didn't miss a beat. 

I know it's just Pre Season but one thing that you can judge is talent , and we're flooded with it in various positions

Yeah... our 2nd team O-line this year is better than last years starters without question.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2019 at 7:58 AM, Ittakestime said:

Singletary is slow.  He's slippery but he doesn't have that immediate explosiveness to turn it into anything significant.

Bodine was fine.  People think its so easy to go from snapping to a 6'5 huge QB to a maybe 6'2 QB.  Bodine makes the run game better.

Bodine is absolutely terrible.  He loses his balance frequently on initial contact and proceeds to get thrown around like a rag doll.  He lacks fundamental strength.  I will be shocked if he makes the 53.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

The CB depth looks amazing.  The question is whether they trust Gaines to be healthy and keep him over Pitts or Rice?

I fear we’ll keep both Gaines And K. Johnson, anticipating a combined full season, while releasing at least Rice.. I hope/expect Pitts returns.

22 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I fear we’ll keep both Gaines And K. Johnson, anticipating a combined full season, while releasing at least Rice.. I hope/expect Pitts returns.

They kept 6 CB's going into last season.  The locks are White, Wallace, Johnson and Johnson.  They could keep Pitts and Rice and IRDTR Gaines.  I don't know.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:49 AM, Juice_32 said:

Perfect throw, Zay had his eyes on the safety and not the ball.

That was my read as well. The clip showing him with the ball in his hands, he's immediately  turning his head towards the Safety. He was afraid he was going to get nailed. Not a good quality in an NFL Wide Receiver. Kind of like when a little league baseball player is afraid of the ball and cant catch or hit. I recognize that it's natural to want to see who is coming at you, but as an NFL WR, you first have to secure the ball. Priority #1.

As much as I thought Zay was a good pick based on his college performance, I think the time has come; there are others with better hands. Move Cam up the chart. Target Duke more next game. I also really like the Sills pick-up and I'd like to see if there's anything there.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is where I'm at as well.

Im sure he's getting destroyed by his coaches when looking at the film.

I would imagine that has to be one of the very worst parts of being a professional football player. Even worse than the smack that put him into the medical tent and then the locker room, having to watch film of flinching and hearing footsteps with your coaches and teammates watching along, and then maybe chewed out for it. That must be brutal for these guys, any of them. 

21 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

That was my read as well. The clip showing him with the ball in his hands, he's immediately  turning his head towards the Safety. He was afraid he was going to get nailed. Not a good quality in an NFL Wide Receiver. Kind of like when a little league baseball player is afraid of the ball and cant catch or hit. I recognize that it's natural to want to see who is coming at you, but as an NFL WR, you first have to secure the ball. Priority #1.

As much as I thought Zay was a good pick based on his college performance, I think the time has come; there are others with better hands. Move Cam up the chart. Target Duke more next game. I also really like the Sills pick-up and I'd like to see if there's anything there.

He reminds me of Josh Reed.  Broke all kinds of records in college but got to NFL and couldn't catch.

18 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It was a tough field, but I think I found the worst take in the thread.

You're a funny guy. I finally got to see the game and I stand by my comment. Josh wasn't very good. He was inaccurate, again. He mostly stared down and threw to his first option. It's clear to me there's a problem with Josh and Zay. Josh misses him on his first couple throws to start the game. Josh turns what might have been a long gain or TD into a difficult catch for Zay along the left sideline (which he makes) in the second series -- instead of lofting it so wide why not force the angle upfield more so Zay can turn and run up the sideline? There was so much space!

By the time Josh throws the infamous drop at the five yard line they've had some missed connections and miscues due to QB error. Zay should have caught and held that last one at least until the egregious hit to the head which should probably be reviewed by the league. It's possible we might need to separate them as they seem to be feeding each other's weaknesses.

But I can see you don't really want to talk about any of that, so I'll stop here. You can go back to being the hot take arbiter. Have a nice day. 

Edited by VW82