Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

For the record, this post was directed to a poster that legitimately hadn't watched the game and was genuinely asking a question.

Dang it, I knew it might have been taken the wrong way.  I was also directing it at that poster and agreeing with you.

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

More brilliance.  I guess Josh has to catch his passes as well as kick FG's. 

Jones makes what should have been an easy reception and Josh finishes 7-11 (63.6%) for 84 yards (7.6 YPA) and a TD. 

He opened his hips up after he bungled the catch and started flailing for the ball. 

Yes...after the drop.  Cuddy was stating that the throw was the reason he had to open his hips up.  As you can see in the still photo at first contact with the ball,  if he doesn't bobble it...hip would never have to open up.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

What happened to the 

lets not get overexcited about preseason football ? ???

There's always a few who over think preseason.. 1st preseason game no real game plan and a few series is not enough to get into a rhythm or dust off some rust for a QB....  or an Offense...... Way too many nuances/continuity to continue to work out for a 2nd year O

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

Zay should have caught that ball and Josh should have hit him with a cleaner pass on the curl route the drive before. I give Zay a break because the sun was suddenly right in his eyes when he made his cut. 

That's 2 more completions (probably more because the curl route would have extended a drive) and possibly a TD. 

Plays are right there to be made, which is encouraging to me. They aren't way off. 

Still, I am worried about Allen. I am hopeful, I am encouraged, but I still am not sold at all. 

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Allen is never going to be a top completion % guy, IMO. He just isn't the most accurate QB and likes to take his low % shots down the field, but will make up for the misses with the big plays he hits down the field and his athletic ability, IMO. He really is a unique QB. 

This^

He is going to be more Donovan McNabb than Tom Brady.

He just needs to take the check-downs a bit more and actually start connecting on these deep balls that he loves to toss.

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Well you can't compare fairly completion percentages from the 80's to today's NFL though.

You can compare completion percentages relative to their peers, however. 

That’s really not the point though. For whatever reason,  60% has become some sort of barometer and it’s completely arbitrary.

Additionally, Allen throws the most low percentage passes in the league. And for good reason; because he can and teams have to respect that. 

1 hour ago, Joe Miner said:

Good night:  Bills fans 

Bad night: The 2 or 3 trolls in this thread.

Outstanding!

6 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

QBs also stand at different intervals behind the QB.

All I am saying is that Bodine has been playing almost exclusively with Allen for the last 40 weeks.  For there to me a snap issue when they was a change, is not unexpected.

Just wait till Morse gets back in and there are snapping issues.  100% there will be.  There was already issues in TC with Morse and Allen.

There is no possible defense for Bodine's over the head snap. He was likely concentrating on the next DT that was going to push him back into the QB.

completion % is totally over-rated. 

trent edwards is the perfect example of this, with his typical statline of 17/19 for 154 yards, no TD and 13 points scored on offense. 

His name became forever lowercase to me when he threw the ball away on 4th down and trotted to the sideline for his glass of warm milk. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

There is no possible defense for Bodine's over the head snap. He was likely concentrating on the next DT that was going to push him back into the QB.

Barkley looked like the QB that exaggeratedly fakes the snap way over his head on a sweep play. 

People are going way overboard on the Zay hate. So the guy dropped a pass because he heard footsteps. It happens. It’s funny how people will excuse Allen’s bad throws as “it happens” but expect the WRs to be perfect.

All that hate comes from wanting Allen to look better stat wise. Who gives a crap about pre season stats? 

Also, theres a reason that Allen keeps looking Zay’s way - he gets open, a lot. If Allen was more accurate and Zay had better hands he’d put up big numbers. But neither of those things seem to be on the immediate horizon.

Zay runs solid routes, has good body control and has a knack for finding an open spot in the D. Just accept that he’s a flawed receiver otherwise but still has value. 

The good news is that this year Zay is #3 instead of #1.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

He ran once.  Eight yards to the first down marker.  And got out of bounds untouched.

And when a pass rusher got in completely untouched, he quickly protected himself and the ball rather than try and do too much and risk injury or turn over.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MDH said:

People are going way overboard on the Zay hate. So the guy dropped a pass because he heard footsteps. It happens. It’s funny how people will excuse Allen’s bad throws as “it happens” but expect the WRs to be perfect.

All that hate comes from wanting Allen to look better stat wise. Who gives a crap about pre season stats? 

Also, theres a reason that Allen keeps looking Zay’s way - he gets open, a lot. If Allen was more accurate and Zay had better hands he’d put up big numbers. But neither of those things seem to be on the immediate horizon.

Zay runs solid routes, has good body control and has a knack for finding an open spot in the D. Just accept that he’s a flawed receiver otherwise but still has value. 

I really think the criticism that Zay Jones is facing today is more due to his history of inconsistency and bad hands, more than it has to do with Allen's stats.

I like Zay Jones.  I think he's better than what he's shown since he's been here.  But the fact remains that he has dropped a lot of passes and, unfortunately, seems to have picked up where he left off.

I think he'll be fine; but I don't think anyone can ever count on any semblance of consistency from the kid.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MDH said:

I think some of the Hate is misplaced confusion. How could Zay set All Time NCAA records for catching nearly everything thrown his way, then develop bricks for hands. The step up to the pros is one thing, but it’s zero excuse for a 3rd year player. Even for an average college WR.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MDH said:

I mean if your taking from the large section of this thread saying he should of caught that one pass that's more a reaction to a couple of people blaming Allen for a throw that was probably one of his better ones last night.

15 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

His name became forever lowercase to me when he threw the ball away on 4th down and trotted to the sideline for his glass of warm milk. 

I can’t remember if it happened more than once but I distinctly remember this happening against he Packers. It was 4th and 2 or 3 in the final minute of the game. He was flushed out of the pocket and legit tossed it out of bounds. So embarrassing go watch