Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not sure they can trust Zay any more.  You can't be dropping perfect passes like that one.  I think he just may be fighting for a roster spot at this point.

Doc,If you watch the drop at the one yard line again..it appears the sun hit his visor..causing him to lose focus.

I'm not exactly backing him because I believe he fights the football on nearly every ball..it's a mental thing..imo.

He has to find a way to relax and have fun out there...when he came out of the tent,he nearly looked like he was sad and not happy that he was cleared to return.

More than once, Beane has talked about carrying five WRs. McKensie was decent enough, but I'm not sure he did enough to lock up a sixth spot, which may not exist. His one decent turn at kick return was pretty late in the game. His other attempts were unremarkable. Like everyone else, I have just been assuming there would be six WRs on this team. After last night, especially with Roberts getting time with the first team offense, I could definitely see five WRs making the roster, and possibly carrying four RBs. Senorise Perry looked better on ST, and had some nice runs on offense. Call this a bold prediction, but I would not be surprised to see McKensie and McCloud out, and Perry in.

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The similarities to Elway are uncanny, right down to the completion percentage issue. But I don’t think it’s gonna take Allen 10 seasons, like it did Elway,  before he hits that magical 60% threshold that’s been arbitrarily applied as a barometer of how good a QB is. 

Well you can't compare fairly completion percentages from the 80's to today's NFL though.

7 minutes ago, FiftyPercent said:

Hmm, I have no idea if coaches would use percentage to assign blame, that doesn't sound right to me.  I would think a coach would tell the receiver you have to make that catch, as well as tell the QB you need to place the ball more accurately to increase chance of success. IMO, the majority of the blame on that play goes to the WR.  However, the overall chance of success of the play increases if the ball is better placed.

If QB-X places the ball in stride 8 times out of 10 on that play vs. QB-Y placing it in stride 6 out of 10 times, over the course of a game/season/career, QB-X has the better odds of being more successful in the NFL. 

Dude I understand how football works. The more often you do good things, the more often good things happen haha. Youre not explaining a difficult concept. I was asking a specific question that you still dance around. I didnt ask "Do you think coaches use percentages?" I actually dont think they do. I was asking for your percentage assignment  and since you refused to answer the first time I brought up the coaching analogy You said majority, is it 51% or 75%?

Btw, if youre curious, if a kicker kicks the ball straight 9/10 times he has a better chance at making kicks than a kicker than only kicks it straight 6/10 times.

Allen looked poised in the pocket, but his accuracy was still suspect. At least a couple uncatchable passes to guys who were open. 

The defense looks amazing the offense should be better. If Allen doesn't crap the bed we should make the playoffs as a wildcard I think. 

5 hours ago, skibum said:

I feel like the preseason games don't mean as much as they should as far as roster decisions go. How many times have we seen a guy like Brandon Reilly pile up numbers in the second half of these games, only to get cut anyway? I feel like that's what's probably going to happen with McKenzie and Wade. Shining in the second half of a preseason game doesn't seem to get you anywhere, because if the coaching staff thought you were better, they would have played you earlier in the game. 

I agree.

That said, I agree with a bunch of what @GunnerBill said. 

As far as Allen goes, how many times have I seen a big armed QB come out in the first few series of a game and make errant throws, mostly overthrows. Allen did fine and if Zay Jones makes that catch Allen's percentage and overall look goes up. 

If the team had a backup center on the roster better then Bodine,I suspect he would have been cut after the game with that snap over Barkley's head. Saying that I also think TJ Yeldon will be gone after the first cuts. Turnovers are a game killer. 

My biggest takeaway was the Bills defense looking so good and even with the backups. We watched Ed Oliver destroy Bodine in camp but we never thought he would do as well against Quinton Nelson.

A lot to like from that first pre season game for Bills fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Sideways but yet his front leg is still in front....

Ball placed in the direct center of his body.  

zay.JPG

No Way you can blame that on Zay. You'd have to be a contortionist to make that catch. I mean that has to be an inch or maybe 2 off perfect.

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

But that 1% of the time it's not is 100% because it was a bad throw. 

At least in his mind that's how percentages work. 

5 outta 4 people are bad at math

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

No Way you can blame that on Zay. You'd have to be a contortionist to make that catch. I mean that has to be an inch or maybe 2 off perfect.

what? am i missing sarcasm?

Edited by Joe in Winslow

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

The funniest thing about this pic is Cuddy was legitimately arguing that the pass caused Zay to open up his hip because it was off target.

Where is that hip open?  In that still photo, how in the world is the hip open?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

what? am i missing sarcasm?

yes you are missing the sarcasm... I should add [/sarcasm] tags.. 1 or 2 inches from perfect in the NFL is still perfect 

Edited by ddaryl
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The funniest thing about this pic is Cuddy was legitimately arguing that the pass caused Zay to open up his hip because it was off target.

BECAUSE HE STACKED THE CORNER!!! WHAT ARE YOU NOT SEEING?!?!?!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Singletary looked very good in his first pre-season game and at this point I don’t think we could expect much more. 

He had 6 catches his entire final season in college. He had 3 last night.

Catches the ball better than many thought he would. Good in space and just fast enough. As mentioned, won't beat you to the edge but definitely a chain mover.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

The team didn't score with him in the game because Zay Jones dropped an easy-money TD and the kicker hit the upright on the ensuing attempt.

More brilliance.  I guess Josh has to catch his passes as well as kick FG's. 

Jones makes what should have been an easy reception and Josh finishes 7-11 (63.6%) for 84 yards (7.6 YPA) and a TD. 

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He opened his hips up after he bungled the catch and started flailing for the ball. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

More brilliance.  I guess Josh has to catch his passes as well as kick FG's. 

Jones makes what should have been an easy reception and Josh finishes 7-11 (63.6%) for 84 yards (7.6 YPA) and a TD. 

For the record, this post was directed to a poster that legitimately hadn't watched the game and was genuinely asking a question.