Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

I agree with most of your analysis but your Singletary take is way off.  He was one of the best players on the field, despite the stats.   Barring injuries, by the end of the season he will lead the team in touches.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Probably why the Chargers brought in Tyrod....can't have bad passes like this.

All you have to do is watch the receivers stride/gate.  I think if you were to ask any QB coach or OC they would say that pass while catchable, is not properly placed.

41 minutes ago, MR8 said:

I thought the TEs did a good job considering the top 3 TEs on the roster all didn't play... no real news is a massive win for them.  Kroft, Knox, and Croom were all inactive, so you have Sweeney a 7th round rookie (who played pretty well considering), Lee Smith, and Keith Towbridge   playing and we don't have negatives to say... IMO that's a win.

Sure you'd prefer your TEs to catch passes and make waves, but all things considered, not being a liability is just as good under the situation.

On the first offensive play Josh tossed a perfect ball to Sweeney..if he wasn't held that was a 30 yard play...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In all fairness, Allen is probably never going have Brady like accuracy. But while some people are freaking out, I would like to point out:

1) We are talking about the first *preseason* game.

2)  Daboll clearly went out of his way to try to work on the passing game. I think the first 8 straight plays were passes, for a team whose construction is best designed to be a balanced attack. I don't think it's a coincidence that the offense opened up once there were a few runs to let the play action work.

3) Smaller sample size skews data. This is why when you have a WR or RB in for a trick play and they throw one pass for a TD why they aren't considered elite in spite of a perfect QBR. Allen is a dropped Zay Jones pass away from 64% completion rate (and possibly a touchdown pass) instead of the lamented "He had 54%!!!!!"

Just now, FiftyPercent said:

All you have to do is watch the receivers stride/gate.  I think if you were to ask any QB coach or OC they would say that pass while catchable, is not properly placed.

I know the game, I played it.  Yes, it wasn't the perfectly placed ball but it's more than catachable...this needs to be caught 100% of the time or it's a very bad drop on the WR.

Catchable is "got his hands on it, it's slightly difficult but should have been caught".  This is a "no excuses, should have been easily caught".

I guess when WR have to deal with the slightest adversity and I mean the slightest....it's okay if they don't catch it?

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think you are right. I think that this coaching staff values practice much more than it values performance in a vanilla offense in pre-season. That being said McKenzie is legit in the competition for the final roster spot at WR. Wade I don't think is in competition for anything. He gets a practice squad expemption for the year as part of the pathway programme and I expect the Bills to give him the chance to stick for the year as a result but the likelihood is he does that, has a year on the PS and then is released next year in cut downs. 

Next year the running back situation will likely be more open, seeing as we will likely have no more Gore or McCoy.  I think there might be room for a guy like Wade next year, if he's able to continue improving.  Rugby guys have to play both offense and defense.  Granted, he did play wing, which isn't exactly in the thick of things.  But I would bet that he can tackle / play special teams and carve out a role similar to someone like Taiwan Jones.  Plus the added upside of having that incredible burst out of the backfield if he actually gets in games.  If he comes around and finds other ways to contribute, I'd be surprised if doesn't make the team next year.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I know the game, I played it.  Yes, it wasn't the perfectly placed ball but it's more than catachable...this needs to be caught 100% of the time or it's a very bad drop on the WR.

Catchable is "got his hands on it, it's slightly difficult but should have been caught".  This is a "no excuses, should have been easily caught".

I guess when WR have to deal with the slightest adversity and I mean the slightest....it's okay if they don't catch it?

This discussion is akin to when a food critic visits a Michelin-star Chef's restaurant and claims the signature dish is overcooked and bland.  The customer knows that it was delicious, the chef knows it was delicious, but the food critic has to criticize something.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I mean, it's probability.  The more well placed balls, the better odds the ball is caught.

5 minutes ago, FiftyPercent said:

I mean, it's probability.  The more well placed balls, the better odds the ball is caught.

Of course thats true but in your opinion, looking at that Rivers throw, what percentage is that on Rivers and what percentage is that on the WR that the ball was not caught?

3 minutes ago, jletha said:

Of course thats true but in your opinion, looking at that Rivers throw, what percentage is that on Rivers and what percentage is that on the WR that the ball was not caught?

That ball is caught likely a high percentage of the time by NFL receivers. However, if the ball is placed so the gate of the WR does not have to change, the completion % of that play increases.

33 minutes ago, FiftyPercent said:

I think your missing the point

ALL qbs.....and I dont care which one you point to.....Brady...Manning...Rivers....whoever...they ALL throw bad passes.

The difference is that THEIR recievers make plays for them....so the bad passes get forgotten.....and ppl just look to the box score.

Wanna know what I liked from last night?   Put Cole Beasely to work....used a short gain receiver which he did not do a lot last year....didnt immediately take off and run....and didnt take hits.   Its called progression.

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't watched the game yet (taping later tonight on NFLN) but I think we can safely say Josh Allen didn't have a great night. He finished 6/11 for only 66 yards and 0 points. People keep talking about Zay's drop. WRs drop the ball sometimes. Good QBs find them enough that it doesn't matter. We clearly tried to put the ball in Allen's hands and unlike his 2018 draft class counterparts his offense didn't produce.  

Edited by VW82
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Nice OP, Gunner.  I generally agree. 

Overall, the defense looks pretty good, both the first and second units. 

I was disappointed with the passing game, but not necessarily with Allen.  I think he looks to be about where he should be considering his play last season and all he has to learn/improve.  He was no where near being a polished passer like Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen.  2019 may be the first time he's had first rate QB coaching.  He didn't have that in college, and David Culley had never been a QB coach in the NFL until he joined the Bills.  He's making better decisions and working on his mid/short game while staying in the pocket, which isn't his natural inclination.   It's easy to be accurate when you throw a lot of short passes/dump offs like Darnold and Rosen do.  It's harder to pinpoint downfield passes.

I'm pretty disappointed with the WR corps.  As somebody already mentioned, Foster does not look to be as good as he was last season which is a big problem because I think that at least some of Allen's accuracy issues would be resolved with more sure-handed targets.  Getting another WR that puts Zay Jones on the bench or off the Bills roster entirely needs to be a top priority for the Bills in 2020 if they can't find somebody this season.  He's just not good enough to be a starting WR in the NFL.  Isaiah McKenzie looked sure-handed but I'm not sure about the rest of his game  or his durability.  He looks to be almost too small to be playing in the NFL: standing beside Matt Barkley on the sideline, Barkley was at least a head taller and Barkley's only about 6'2" or so.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1