Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

2 hours ago, chris heff said:

I’m still not convinced Zay is anything, he heard footsteps and flat out dropped that ball. I hope they don’t keep him just because they drafted him.

Shaq is better than Trent.

Defense is going to be good and has depth.

Offensive line will be better, but it would have to be. Still worried about center. 

Was it just me or were TE invisible?

I thought the TEs did a good job considering the top 3 TEs on the roster all didn't play... no real news is a massive win for them.  Kroft, Knox, and Croom were all inactive, so you have Sweeney a 7th round rookie (who played pretty well considering), Lee Smith, and Keith Towbridge   playing and we don't have negatives to say... IMO that's a win.

Sure you'd prefer your TEs to catch passes and make waves, but all things considered, not being a liability is just as good under the situation.

• Like (+1) 2

Honestly, I thought Allen had a really good outing last night. Yes, he had one bad, unforgivable throw, but for the most part I was very pleased at what I saw.

I didn't see Allen forcing it into risky spots. He was able to take what the defense would give him, such as hitting Beasley for solid yardage after that penalty. He noticed a coverage breakdown for a huge chunk play. He noticed the huge cushion John Brown was being given and changed the play at the line to take advantage of the mismatch and pick up a first down....and that was why Allen took so many low percentage shots downfield early. Doing that opens up the middle of the field and makes people play with a cushion that makes things happen.

All in all, while he didn't look like an MVP I honestly see a lot of progress and he looks miles ahead of where he was before. So I am a little surprised to hear the tale of the tape being "Josh Allen had an up and down night"

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Honestly, I thought Allen had a really good outing last night. Yes, he had one bad, unforgivable throw, but for the most part I was very pleased at what I saw.

I didn't see Allen forcing it into risky spots. He was able to take what the defense would give him, such as hitting Beasley for solid yardage after that penalty. He noticed a coverage breakdown for a huge chunk play. He noticed the huge cushion John Brown was being given and changed the play at the line to take advantage of the mismatch and pick up a first down....and that was why Allen took so many low percentage shots downfield early. Doing that opens up the middle of the field and makes people play with a cushion that makes things happen.

All in all, while he didn't look like an MVP I honestly see a lot of progress and he looks miles ahead of where he was before. So I am a little surprised to hear the tale of the tape being "Josh Allen had an up and down night"

Agreed. 

He had two bad throws all night: The overthrow on the Zay deep pass and the underthrow to Zay where he put it in the dirt. On the other hand, Zay also dropped what would have been a sure touchdown, which would have had Allen at 63% completion for the night with a TD.

So long as our defense finishes top 5, like it should, the Bills have the talent -- and Allen is playing well enough, it would seem -- to win 10 games.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

For a man who said "the oline opened up some holes for me" my question would be "well why did you only average 3 yards a carry then?" I think Singletary will have a role on this team in 2019. But it is a 3rd down guy and a change of pace guy.

Agree but I could see him taking on a bigger role toward the end of the year...he’s got fresh legs and out RB room is ancient. 

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed. 

He had two bad throws all night: The overthrow on the Zay deep pass and the underthrow to Zay where he put it in the dirt. On the other hand, Zay also dropped what would have been a sure touchdown, which would have had Allen at 63% completion for the night with a TD.

So long as our defense finishes top 5, like it should, the Bills have the talent -- and Allen is playing well enough, it would seem -- to win 10 games.

I saw nerves tbh. His footwork was much improved and he’s clearly more comfortable in the pocket, just missed a couple that came out too hot/long.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Is that a rhetorical question?

16 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

17 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Exactly! No one wants fifty percent around here. 

26 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Just stop

Let's not allow an obvious troll to ruin a thread that Gunner Bill worked hard to craft.  Just ignore him/them and wait for the purge.  Gunner deserves better.

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, FiftyPercent said:

If they're categorizing the John Brown sideline incompletion as anything other than a miscommunication, then I'm not sure they know what they're watching.

It's totally reasonable to say that Allen misfired on the deep ball and the comeback to Zay. The Brown sideline throw was clearly QB and WR not being on the same page. Zay's drop was, well, a drop, and you've got one throwaway. I wouldn't call that anything other than a typical preseason day 1 for a typical starting QB.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Oh goody, just what we needed. Another troll.

What is in it that artcilee that hasn't been said or agreed upon by pretty much everyone here

However some are choosing to trend the negative side of the information while the majority see it a solid 1st preseason effort with no time to get into any sort of game groove.. 

Perceptions 

Edited by ddaryl

29 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I don't care about % with JA. I've said that many times. If he's 55% and hits on some big throws and a couple runs his % won't matter.

Right, and Allen hit the receivers hands while in stride on a big throw.  

Go Bills !!!

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Going to add a couple others. But more as entire position groups. I took the preseason pledge so I won’t watch multiple times to really watch players 

LBers - There is more quality depth here than I originally though. I really didn’t see any LBers out there that looked like they didn’t belong. It looks like there is some quality depth there. 

DBs - this by far is the deepest and best position group on this team. After this week and I do think will continue thru preseason there are going to be some hard choices in this position group.  And I think there are going to be players they may be able to get a pick for before cuts. 

Speaking of depth. I think for the first time in a long time there are going to be players that get cut from Bill and immediately find work in the NFL. And that is a testament to the depth this team is developing. There are still thin position groups but nothing like in years past. 

Sweeney flashed to me and that is a great sign. I hope he continues to build off it and take advantage of the opportunity the INJs are providing. Would be nice to come out of this Draft season with two Promising young TEs. 

Dabol reason I am putting him here is even with the Vanilla Offense it is nice to graduate into an NFL Offense. I know there are coaching objectives each preseason game. Things they absolutely want to do. Dabol seemed like he wanted to show Look We are no longer a 3 yard in a cloud of Dust team and it was refreshing. I hope it carries into the season. 

All and all it is is good to have football back. 

On your depth point, this will become very important as it pertains to free agency and comp picks going forward.  You will have depth guys leaving for big contracts in the future.  You will have starters leaving for even bigger contracts knowing that we have adequate back-ups ready to step up and fill in.  This will be very important to allow us to maintain a strong roster year over year as the better managed teams in the league have demonstrated.  Great start to the season for Beane and co...

• Thank you (+1) 1