Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

I'm asking myself that exact question. I want JA to be good. I want JA to make every throw as perfect as possible. I will not blindly claim he is good or that his passes are perfect.

Yep, that's where most of us are...unfortunately, you've let it push you so far in the other direction that you've gone noodles on this one.

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

I'm asking myself that exact question. I want JA to be good. I want JA to make every throw as perfect as possible. I will not blindly claim he is good or that his passes are perfect.

Like other Qbs are perfect.  If that is your expectation then the Bills have never had nor will ever have a QB that meets your expectations, nor will any other team in the league.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I agree that it is totally unacceptable and unreasonable to expect Zay Jones - or ANY receiver - to catch a ball knowing they might (gasp) get hit after catching it.

This isn't ***** rugby, guys!!!!

the kicker is it was his bobble that got him belted.... if he catches cleanly he can cover up or even make a lunge at the EZ. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

the kicker is it was his bobble that got him belted.... if you catches cleanly he can cover up or even make a lunge at the EZ. 

Unless Allen can place the ball between the numbers at all times, I don't think he's our guy.  We can't expect receivers to use their hands to catch passes, goddammit.

Just now, CuddyDark said:

I doubt it. I was and am a big JA guy. Go read about it.

You're definitely not following the discussion here (I'm guessing that's because you're getting tagged on a lot of different fronts).

I said that in your quest to be objective in spite of being an "Allen guy", you've gone too far right of center into criticizing a perfectly fine throw.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Like other Qbs are perfect.  If that is your expectation then the Bills have never had nor will ever have a QB that meets your expectations, nor will any other team in the league.

I never expected JA to be perfect. I believe he can win with 55% rate. I'm one of the few here who stood up for TT.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

You're definitely not following the discussion here (I'm guessing that's because you're getting tagged on a lot of different fronts).

I said that in your quest to be objective in spite of being an "Allen guy", you've gone too far right of center into criticizing a perfectly fine throw.

And I said I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Unless Allen can place the ball between the numbers at all times, I don't think he's our guy.  We can't expect receivers to use their hands to catch passes, goddammit.

well then theres the one last year vs the jets at home that he planted into jones chest plate that he let doink off it...…. its really just come down to just having to throw it hard enough to wedge into zays facemask

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It's just him.  It's always that way.  

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

well then theres the one last year vs the jets at home that he planted into jones chest plate that he let doink off it...…. its really just come down to just having to throw it hard enough to wedge into zays facemask

LOL.  On a serious note, now - it seems to me that Bills receivers, as a whole, had problems last year catching balls with their hands.  I don't think I'm imagining that.  I was hoping that would be addressed with showing Robiskie the door. 

As others have stated in this thread, there was not a damn thing wrong with that pass. 

6 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

And I said I doubt it.

And then followed that statement with a total non-sequitur because...why? 

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's just him.  It's always that way.  

That hasn't been my experience

9 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I never expected JA to be perfect. I believe he can win with 55% rate. I'm one of the few here who stood up for TT.

And I said I doubt it.

"I want JA to make every throw as perfect as possible"

Your words, not mine.

33 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yes, because there's a cadre of people who INSIST he had a bad night based on completion percentage.

Neglecting, of course, the fact that he hit Zay Jones in the hands with a beauty that would have had him finishing at 63%

It is utterly ridiculous.

Who cares if Josh Allen threw every pass in the turf or if every pass was INT'ed. MEANS NOTHING.

Preseason is just to get used to throwing against other D's and to kink out the rust.

If he stinks the joint out against the Jets, then go nuts. Otherwise, it means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Isaiah McKenzie - One of the most intruging roster battles is the one between McKenzie and Ray Ray McCloud for a job as the backup slot receiver, backup returner and primary gadget play guy. McCloud was out there plenty but only hauled in one catch from four targets whereas McKenzie was the Bills leading receiver on the night reeling in both his targets for 62 yards. Both players also had an audition as punt returners. McKenzie showed nice pop on one run in particular, McCloud had one return for -2 yards. If pre-season performances is a factor in this decision then McKenzie may have nosed ahead. I still maintain your 6th receiver is the winner of this contest. Book it.

Christian Wade - MY GUY! Okay so he almost didn't handle the hand off and the Colts defense parted like the red sea. But Wade demonstrated the agility, acceleration and top end speed that made him an international level rugby player. He still has a long road to make it as an NFL player, obviously, but that was such a cool moment and the Bills sideline reaction says a lot about who Wade is as a guy and the togetherness McDermott is able to foster. I was bouncing around my apartment with excitement. The neighbours already know the NFL is back!

Appreciate the summary OP - I've always been more up on McKenzie than McCloud, but I'm not entirely surprised by the discrepancy in "game" performance - that seems like more of an extension from last year. While clearly not in the discussion for top 3 WR on the roster, he's always had better game performances, runs great routes, and has greater utility that really forces opposing defenses to take the extra time to scheme against it.

As for Wade, never sleep on a rugby player that transitions to RB. He literally has nothing to lose and all of the physical ability necessary. His style will look very unorthodox, and will have to get used to pads and hand offs versus the lateral pass, but there isn't that much he'd be unable to do in a support role. Even though he doesn't count toward the roster this year, I wouldn't be surprised, nor hate, if he carved out a roster spot for himself in the future.