Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If he secures the catch immediately, he’s not taking as big a shot.  When he bobbled it, he slowed down his own momentum.  He catches it cleanly, he’s should be running in the end zone up right or at least a dive into the endzone.  

Am I right @Alphadawg7?

Yup, it was just a bad drop and the only reason he took the big shot was because of the drop.

2 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

He did not lead Zay into the endzone, Zay had to rotate his torso 90 deg.  That is NOT a "perfect" pass like some here want to claim.  It should have been caught, but c'mon with the perfect pass stuff.

You're right, He wasn't led into the ez. If he had been led more he'd have been led straight into the safety and either gotten hit harder or the pass would have been broken up. The ball was where it needed to be. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I remember many, if not most people saying how Ronald Darby was getting burned left and right in his first preseason. How he was going to be a bust.

I saw differently and said that he was actually playing quite well. Was always in position and was always stuck to his guy.

He went on to have a great rookie year.

I feel the same way about Singletary after one game.

I'd be fine with him as the #1 back tbh.

56 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was not behind him.  He hit him exactly where it's supposed to go.  He had the momentum going towards the endzone and he stopped it himself when he dropped it.

If he throws it "more in the hole" as you say...that safety crushes him.  He's already lowering that shoulder.

So is this not a penalty of defenseless receiver anymore?.   He gets hit in the head by the defender.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Anyone with Gamepass, check out 13:36 in the first quarter, 3rd and 9. Oliver has a hell of a sequence vs Q. Nelson. 

Ed drives him back into the QB and then jumps to attempt a deflection. You can tell Nelson was hell bent on driving him into the ground once he left his feet. Nelson tries to, but some how Oliver stays on his feet, throws Nelson to the side and almost gets to the QB. I've watched the play 10 times and I still cant believe how impressive it was.

Edited by Juice_32
  • Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, ILBillsfan said:

So is this not a penalty of defenseless receiver anymore?.   He gets hit in the head by the defender.

I don't think this is a defenseless receiver penalty personally. Zay is basically on the ground; it's not as if the defender could have aimed any lower for his hit and he certainly didn't lead with his helmet at all. Just unfortunate that Zay fell in such a way that his head lined up with the guys arm.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

No agenda, just was not a perfect pass like some here want to claim.

You know, hoping Allen is great won't make him great :)

I want him to be great, but in order for that to happen I need to see more consistent accuracy.

In their first starts, Daniel Jones & Kyler Murray showed better accuracy. This is disconcerting for Allen IMO.

I know you want Allen to be good, I'm not trying to say you're anti-Allen.  I think you're being a little too meticulous on this because you have concerns of Allen's accuracy....so you're looking at it too much under a microscope.

That safety is coming in hard.  Allen is supposed to split the two DB's in which he did.  He leads the ball too much into the middle or even a pass in "100% absolute perfect stride"....Zay might be in concussion protocol.

IMO, the pass was perfect for the situation.  Throw it over the guy covering him underneath and not into the safety coming in like a missile.  

Don't get concerned over Jones and Murray debuts.  Who was the most accurate passer in the entire NFL last year in the preseason?

I'll give you a hint, in the regular season, he throws an INT every 8 passes attended.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

He did not lead Zay into the endzone, Zay had to rotate his torso 90 deg.  That is NOT a "perfect" pass like some here want to claim.  It should have been caught, but c'mon with the perfect pass stuff.

it also wasn't even close to being behind him like you had been saying for 2 pages.... get your damn eyes checked, bruh.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 minute ago, ILBillsfan said:

These rules always seem to be interrupted differently or changing so I have no idea. Zay is certainly defenseless. And the defender delivers a direct elbow to his head/neck area. Is it because Zay is going to the ground (making it difficult for the DB to anticipate the target zone) that no flag was thrown or did the refs just miss it?

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I know you want Allen to be good, I'm not trying to say you're anti-Allen.  I think you're being a little too meticulous on this because you have concerns of Allen's accuracy....so you're looking at it too much under a microscope.

That safety is coming in hard.  Allen is supposed to split the two DB's in which he did.  He leads the ball too much into the middle or even a pass in "100% absolute perfect stride"....Zay might be in concussion protocol.

IMO, the pass was perfect for the situation.  Throw it over the guy covering him underneath and not into the safety coming in like a missile.  

this is exactly what I thought when I was watching.... if he actually led it any further jones is in protocol.... the pass was right where it needed to be for jones to secure it and get hit

how in gods name anyone can keep saying it was behind him is just lost on me.

• Like (+1) 1

The Allen pass to Zay should have been in the numbers not above his head.

If Allen does that to a vet WR, he will literally get his butt beat on the bench.  You don't set your WR to get exposed like that in the middle of the field.

This is where the ball should have been:

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I mean, he finished 54%.  I know it's the first preseason game, so surely hope that improves.  

20 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

This was my main takeaway on the defensive side. Edmunds looks be reading things at an incredible pace. He was in the right gap instantly on every run. Granted its pre-season and there wasnt a ton of misdirection from the Colts, which he struggled with some last year, but he played at warp speed last night.

This has me excited.  There were two many games where teams ran it down our throats last year and Edmunds choosing the right gap will go a long way toward correcting this.  We already know our pass defense is very strong... if our run game is strong like it appeared last night, this defense will be elite.

Love the endless excuses for Allen. Love the kid's mentality, love his poise, seems to be better at game management and reading the defense and therefore operating in the offense. But he is and always will be maddeningly inaccurate and I keep reading these homer excuses like he's "knocking the rust off" or "it's preseason" or any of the myriad of excuses that avoid seeing him for what he is.... inaccurate. Nothing has changed on this regard. I watched Kyler Murray's first drive last night, didn't look like he was "knocking any rust off." In fact, the kid looks pretty awesome and wickedly accurate. The kid from the Giants was 5/5 or Mayfield was 5/6. They knocking the rust off too. Rosen was 13/20 and is roundly hated here. That's 65%. He knocking it off too? Or are there excuses why he did that well on that garbage team?

I think we should hope that with some better receivers and less drops that he can approach 58% or a little over. The problem is, the homerism here just can't let anyone criticize the kids accuracy. Face it, this team has possibly the most inaccurate starting QB in the league. If they can find a way to get him into the right throws all the time, limit the route tree to passes he can be accurate with and get a decent run game, they an win with him and what looks like a really good defense. But I refuse to give this kid excuses for the inaccuracy.

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

The Allen pass to Zay should have been in the numbers not above his head.

If Allen does that to a vet WR, he will literally get his butt beat on the bench.  You don't set your WR to get exposed like that in the middle of the field.

This is where the ball should have been:

or if jones secures it immediately and doesn't search for the bobble its a non-issue. WOW man.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

Go watch those Murray and Daniels highlights that you talked about and tell me how many of those receivers don't (at least try to)square their shoulders to the ball when catching it.  They only time they didn't is when the receiver was standing still which was probably 50% of their completions.  

Edited by The Wiz