Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

34 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I mean, sure he could have led him a little more than that, but it pretty much hit him dead on. He didn't have to reach back for it or anything. Ignoring the incoming tackler that might have been able to knock it loose, this is a very easy catch.

zay.JPG

Yep. If he had dropped it while being smashed in the neck then I would cut Zay some slack. But he was fighting with the ball the moment it reached him and he had dropped it before the defender made contact. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, GG said:

You can make an argument that the drop led to the injury.  If he holds on to the ball, he'd be in a better position to brace for the hit.  Instead, he's flailing for the loose ball and is totally unprotected when he comes down awkwardly.

Awkward is the best word to describe Zay on the field. Nothing about his athletic motion is fluid or smooth. Whether running his routes, or attempting to catch the football, I haven’t seen someone who positions their body in such awkward ways so frequently on the football field. 

If people are going to nitpick Allen on the throw to Jones on the 2 yard line, then you might as well just say there will never be a successful QB in Buffalo in the eyes of such fans.  If hitting a guy right in the hands doesn't suffice for some there's really not much to say.  And spare me the he should have led him more on that throw; if he had the safety that was closing would have either knocked the ball out or knocked Jones out. 

Allen missed a throw or two, no question.  That throw wasn't one of them   I saw him going through progressions more than he did last year, going to his outlet in Beasley (who will be very busy this year it seems), throwing it away (the ball to the TE was put where only he could catch up to it, and if not then a good throw away).  Things you want to see a young QB start to get. 

Just now, SirAndrew said:

Awkward is the best word to describe Zay on the field. Nothing about his athletic motion is fluid or smooth. Whether running his routes, or attempting to catch the football, I haven’t seen someone who positions their body in such awkward ways so frequently on the football field. 

I think it's mental. The guy set an NCAA pass receiving record;  it's not like he can't catch a football.  But he fights it.  I thought he'd catch the first TD pass of te year; I'm not so sure he makes the roster if guys like Phillips keep playing well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I may be in the minority, but maybe we should give Zay Jones a break on that drop.

Nobody wants to get hurt in preseason, on a meaningless play that won't count.

The defender was about to take his head off.  You really can't blame him for bracing himself and losing focus.

Don't get me wrong.  I believe this is Zay's last chance to prove himself as a starter on the Bills.  The talent around him is getting much better.  If the drop problems continue into this season,  I don't see him getting much playing time going forward.  

If he secures the catch immediately, he’s not taking as big a shot.  When he bobbled it, he slowed down his own momentum.  He catches it cleanly, he’s should be running in the end zone up right or at least a dive into the endzone.  

Am I right @Alphadawg7?

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Tremaine looked to be playing much faster.  This D is going to be tremendous.

Loved the throws to Beasley, and the comeback to Brown.

This was my main takeaway on the defensive side. Edmunds looks be reading things at an incredible pace. He was in the right gap instantly on every run. Granted its pre-season and there wasnt a ton of misdirection from the Colts, which he struggled with some last year, but he played at warp speed last night.

Just now, bigK14094 said:

That drop was the game, would have put the Bills up by one.  I remember it well.

Wasn't a drop.... he didn't get close enough to it for it to be a drop..... on that occassion though it was 50/50 on Zay and a poor throw from the Quarterback. This time there was nothing wrong with Allen's throw.

46 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I mean, sure he could have led him a little more than that, but it pretty much hit him dead on. He didn't have to reach back for it or anything. Ignoring the incoming tackler that might have been able to knock it loose, this is a very easy catch.

zay.JPG

Perfect throw, Zay had his eyes on the safety and not the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

Hit both hands yes, but the pass was behind.  Don't know if you saw the Cards game after the Bills game at all, but watching Murray throw with anticipation, leading receivers etc, that's accuracy....  A poorly thrown ball can hit a receiver on both hands, but if the receiver has to react/contort to catch, it reduces the odds of completion.  Having said that, Jones being the receiver is the biggest problem on that play :)

A comment never forgotten from a friend when we were kids playing football in the street: "If you can touch it you can catch it." 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think there is much evaluation of Tyree Jackson going on.  He will make the PS or not mostly based on his athleticism and skill set, and what he does in a practice setting.  He's not a threat at all to make the 53 man roster.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Allen is never going to be a top completion % guy, IMO. He just isn't the most accurate QB and likes to take his low % shots down the field, but will make up for the misses with the big plays he hits down the field and his athletic ability, IMO. He really is a unique QB. 

This is a fair take and I agree.

31 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

But it was not in stride...

It seems as though you have an agenda.  Zay didn't need to slow down or change his direction to catch this ball.

The ball literally, and I mean literally was right between his eyes.  If that ball goes through his hands and he's not wearing a helmet, he's going to have a lump right above the bridge of his nose.  It's a terrible drop.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Perfect throw, Zay had his eyes on the safety and not the ball.

He did not lead Zay into the endzone, Zay had to rotate his torso 90 deg.  That is NOT a "perfect" pass like some here want to claim.  It should have been caught, but c'mon with the perfect pass stuff.

2 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Only really saw one bad throw from Josh, which was the one at Zay's feet on 3rd and I think 5. 

There was also the deep overthrow. I think to Zay. It was over thrown quite a bit. Probably close to 5 yards.

And I hate those 11 yard sacks on the naked bootlegs. Remember seeing those at least a couple times last year. Drive killers and sometimes FG killers. I know you can't really put that at the feet of Josh Allen. But maybe we should consider blocking the outside linebacker.

I'm worried about Haushka. He missed a 30 something yarder last night and is coming off a sub par year.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It seems as though you have an agenda.  Zay didn't need to slow down or change his direction to catch this ball.

The ball literally, and I mean literally was right between his eyes.  If that ball goes through his hands and he's not wearing a helmet, he's going to have a lump right above the bridge of his nose.  It's a terrible drop.

No agenda, just was not a perfect pass like some here want to claim.

You know, hoping Allen is great won't make him great :)

I want him to be great, but in order for that to happen I need to see more consistent accuracy.

In their first starts, Daniel Jones & Kyler Murray showed better accuracy. This is disconcerting for Allen IMO.

Edited by AllenLongBall

Just now, AllenLongBall said:

He did not lead Zay into the endzone oncoming defender, Zay had to rotate his torso 90 deg.  That is NOT a "perfect" pass like some here want to claim.  It should have been caught, but c'mon with the perfect pass stuff.

Fixed. He gave him a perfect window to make the pay and not get killed. Zay botched it and got killed anyway.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, AllenLongBall said:

He did not lead Zay into the endzone, Zay had to rotate his torso 90 deg.  That is NOT a "perfect" pass like some here want to claim.  It should have been caught, but c'mon with the perfect pass stuff.

So the better option would have been to lead Zay directly into the safety for a big hit?

• Like (+1) 1

I remember many, if not most people saying how Ronald Darby was getting burned left and right in his first preseason. How he was going to be a bust.

I saw differently and said that he was actually playing quite well. Was always in position and was always stuck to his guy.

He went on to have a great rookie year.

I feel the same way about Singletary after one game.

• Like (+1) 1