Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I thought Singletary had a great game and looked good

This^^^^ I did not see the OP’s take on the guy.  He was not drafted for speed and athletic prowess.  He was drafted for what is being called elite vision and the ability to hit small holes making something out of nothing.  Is the guy headed for Canton?  Probably not.  Will the guy make the roster and become a solid rotational player? Yes, this appears to be the case.  I really think the Bills are headed in the direction of most NFL teams, running back by committee.  If so, they have some horses in the stable to play this way.

Just now, DCOrange said:

I mean, sure he could have led him a little more than that, but it pretty much hit him dead on. He didn't have to reach back for it or anything. Ignoring the incoming tackler, this is a very easy catch.

zay.JPG

Great throw that should've been a TD.

Case closed...unless someone's got an agenda 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The defender was about to take his head off

See I thought the hit to the head only happened because he dropped the ball and fell to the ground fumbling for it. And I'd have more patience for that reasoning if he had ever made a single contested catch in his career. Still waiting for him to hit that milestone.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

I mean, sure he could have led him a little more than that, but it pretty much hit him dead on. He didn't have to reach back for it or anything. Ignoring the incoming tackler that might have been able to knock it loose, this is a very easy catch.

zay.JPG

The only time I think it's really behind a WR is he has has to stop his momentum in one direction and change it.  Zay didn't have to do that.  So the ball was in the middle of his face mask instead of 3 inches on the right side of his face mask.  This is not just one of those catchable balls...this is a ball that needs to be caught and equivalent to a short stop letting a ground ball go through his legs.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

I think that was the play where Tasker wanted to blame the sun and not Jones.  It was definitely not a perfect pass, but it did hit both hands.

Didn’t some people blame the sun when he dropped that pass against Carolina his rookie season? 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

This^^^^ I did not see the OP’s take on the guy.  He was not drafted for speed and athletic prowess.  He was drafted for what is being called elite vision and the ability to hit small holes making something out of nothing.  Is the guy headed for Canton?  Probably not.  Will the guy make the roster and become a solid rotational player? Yes, this appears to be the case.  I really think the Bills are headed in the direction of most NFL teams, running back by committee.  If so, they have some horses in the stable to play this way.

I would even say he will become our starting RB in 2-3 years

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

See I thought the hit to the head only happened because he dropped the ball and fell to the ground fumbling for it. And I'd have more patience for that reasoning if he had ever made a single contested catch in his career. Still waiting for him to hit that milestone.

Yep, that’s why when you’re in traffic you might as well catch the ball. No use for alligator arms when you’re going to get hit anyway. Easy for me to say, but as a pro that’s what you need to do. 

Edited by SirAndrew

I’m still not convinced Zay is anything, he heard footsteps and flat out dropped that ball. I hope they don’t keep him just because they drafted him.

Shaq is better than Trent.

Defense is going to be good and has depth.

Offensive line will be better, but it would have to be. Still worried about center. 

Was it just me or were TE invisible?

22 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

Hit both hands yes, but the pass was behind.  Don't know if you saw the Cards game after the Bills game at all, but watching Murray throw with anticipation, leading receivers etc, that's accuracy....  A poorly thrown ball can hit a receiver on both hands, but if the receiver has to react/contort to catch, it reduces the odds of completion.  Having said that, Jones being the receiver is the biggest problem on that play :)

It was not behind him.  It was right on him.  What game were you watching?

12 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Didn’t some people blame the sun when he dropped that pass against Carolina his rookie season? 

Yep it's been the same excuses for 3 years. It's time to admit he just isn't any good as a starter. He would be a solid #4 option.

On the Zay drop, the throw wasn't bad. It did look like the sun played a role. The shadows on the field were very long, and it looked like the ball traveled from being under the shadow of the stadium, into sunlight just before it got to Zay, and the ball was in his face. That being said, it looked like Zay took his eyes off the ball before he caught it, maybe sensing an incoming defender. Should he have caught it? Yes, but it may have been a bit more difficult of a catch as it's being made out to be. I think we've seen worse drops from Zay.

3 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

On the Zay drop, the throw wasn't bad. It did look like the sun played a role. The shadows on the field were very long, and it looked like the ball traveled from being under the shadow of the stadium, into sunlight just before it got to Zay, and the ball was in his face. That being said, it looked like Zay took his eyes off the ball before he caught it, maybe sensing an incoming defender. Should he have caught it? Yes, but it may have been a bit more difficult of a catch as it's being made out to be. I think we've seen worse drops from Zay.

Yeah, that's kind of the problem lol

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Great throw that should've been a TD.

Case closed...unless someone's got an agenda 

You can make an argument that the drop led to the injury.  If he holds on to the ball, he'd be in a better position to brace for the hit.  Instead, he's flailing for the loose ball and is totally unprotected when he comes down awkwardly.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I may be in the minority, but maybe we should give Zay Jones a break on that drop.

Nobody wants to get hurt in preseason, on a meaningless play that won't count.

The defender was about to take his head off.  You really can't blame him for bracing himself and losing focus.

Don't get me wrong.  I believe this is Zay's last chance to prove himself as a starter on the Bills.  The talent around him is getting much better.  If the drop problems continue into this season,  I don't see him getting much playing time going forward.  

Just how far away should a defender be for it to be SAFE for a receiver to catch a ball? 

ZayDrop.jpg

Edited by cd1

38 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

Hit both hands yes, but the pass was behind.  Don't know if you saw the Cards game after the Bills game at all, but watching Murray throw with anticipation, leading receivers etc, that's accuracy....  A poorly thrown ball can hit a receiver on both hands, but if the receiver has to react/contort to catch, it reduces the odds of completion.  Having said that, Jones being the receiver is the biggest problem on that play :)

Maybe you should change your Avatar to Kyler Murray.