Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

11 minutes ago, skibum said:

feel like that's what's probably going to happen with McKenzie and Wade.

Wade will be on the practice squad for sure. I'd like to see McKenzie mixed in with the 2nd offense next week. Maybe a few plays with the 1st offense too to see how it goes. He has his issues handling the ball, but unlike Zay Jones he at least brings something to the table that defenses have to worry about. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, AllenLongBall said:

I think everyone thought Foster was going to replace Jones, but it looks like Foster has regressed.

Yeah,  I’ve found that to be the most discouraging development this preseason. Foster developed into a sure handed receiver with big play ability late last season. He looked like he could play on the outside as a real number two type receiver.  Zay is nowhere close to a guy I want as my number two. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Disagree.  That was an incredibly catchable pass.  I don't know if he lost it in the sun, or feared the contact - but any wide receiver should be able to catch that pass. If anything leading him more might lead to a pick.

Catchable, but behind him. You throw that in the hole between the DBs and lead the WR into the endzone.

11 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

QBs also stand at different intervals behind the QB.

All I am saying is that Bodine has been playing almost exclusively with Allen for the last 40 weeks.  For there to me a snap issue when they was a change, is not unexpected.

Just wait till Morse gets back in and there are snapping issues.  100% there will be.  There was already issues in TC with Morse and Allen.

No they don't...like no they don't at all.  Everyone lines up where they are supposed to line up.  Do you really think that if Allen stands 5 yards back but Barkley stands 7 yards back...nothing is adjusted???  They purposely are making things harder? 

I'm trying to think how your mind processes things because man you say some really bizarre stuff.

Right now, in your mind, you have concerns between Morse and Allen on snapping because of one training camp practice?  But then Bodine snaps it 3 feet over the head of Barkley in an actual game....no issues because as you say :

image.thumb.png.53bafc036bb5054c887711f5fb48abce.png

So every single time a new QB/Center combo, they are going to just have consistent snapping issues?

Why wasn't there snapping issues last year with 2 different starting centers and 3 different starting QB's?

How is it all of a sudden, we sign the a center to highest contract at his position, and that is going to bring snapping issues?

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

That 2 yard line pass to Zay was behind him. If it's out in front it's a touchdown.

I think that was the play where Tasker wanted to blame the sun and not Jones.  It was definitely not a perfect pass, but it did hit both hands.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

There we are, my reflections on pre-season game 1... I'll be back next week. Let's hear your thoughts!

Thanks, Gunner.  I always look forward to your assessments.  I appreciate the work you put into them.  Cheers!

14 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

He underthrew brown, and overthrew the TE.  The Zay pass into the dirt and Zay drop are a wash.

15 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

He underthrew brown, and overthrew the TE.  The Zay pass into the dirt and Zay drop are a wash.

They are not a wash.  You can’t be critical of one throw and then ignore him hitting Jones right in the hands in between two defenders.  The only way that logic works is if you’re trying to pick out only negatives.  The TE throw has been discussed by others and I’ll have to look back to see what you’re talking about with Brown.

• Like (+1) 1

Also props to Lafayette Pitts, he had a couple of nice break-ups. Though maybe it's because he was being targeted...

And Perry had a good night, though I don't know if he looked like an NFL running back, exactly. 

Yeldon was pretty bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Catchable, but behind him. You throw that in the hole between the DBs and lead the WR into the endzone.

Maybe Josh should just run down the field and hand the ball to Zay from now on.   

That was a good throw and any average WR catches that 9.5/10 times. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, oldmanfan said:

They are not a wash.  You can’t be critical of one throw and then ignore him hitting Jones right in the hands in between two defenders.  The only way that logic works is if you’re trying to pick out only negatives.  The TE throw has been discussed by others and I’ll have to look back to see what you’re talking about with Brown.

Hit both hands yes, but the pass was behind.  Don't know if you saw the Cards game after the Bills game at all, but watching Murray throw with anticipation, leading receivers etc, that's accuracy....  A poorly thrown ball can hit a receiver on both hands, but if the receiver has to react/contort to catch, it reduces the odds of completion.  Having said that, Jones being the receiver is the biggest problem on that play :)

8 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

That 2 yard line pass to Zay was behind him. If it's out in front it's a touchdown.

You know what, Allen should have just walked to Zay Jones and slowly handed the ball to him. Then he should have picked him up and carried him into the endzone. Would that have been perfect enough for you?

• Like (+1) 4

Generally agree Gunner.

I was very happy with the QB play. I'm willing to accept some miscommunication early on, provided that it looks like it's been ironed out rather quickly...seems that that's what we saw.

You and I both had Ed Oliver as our #1 player in the draft, and it was obvious on a snap-to-snap basis why. He's "That Guy". Opposing OCs will devote time to game planning against him. You can already see the trickle down effect on the rest of the unit, as guys like Edmunds and Shaq are free to make plays.

My other good night guys:

Feliciano

Star

Corey Thompson

Other bad night guys:

Sweeney

Jaquan Johnson

• Like (+1) 1

I may be in the minority, but maybe we should give Zay Jones a break on that drop.

Nobody wants to get hurt in preseason, on a meaningless play that won't count.

The defender was about to take his head off.  You really can't blame him for bracing himself and losing focus.

Don't get me wrong.  I believe this is Zay's last chance to prove himself as a starter on the Bills.  The talent around him is getting much better.  If the drop problems continue into this season,  I don't see him getting much playing time going forward.  

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He looked like a good 3rd down back. That is what I think he is at this stage. As I said it wasn't really a bad night for him... it was a bad night for those who think he is going to be the starter some time very soon. He isn't there yet as a three down back. 

I'm surprised you didn't give Yeldon a "bad" night grade.  That fumble was a killer, and Singletary showing skills as a 3rd down back didn't help him either.

Just now, eball said:

I'm surprised you didn't give Yeldon a "bad" night grade.  That fumble was a killer, and Singletary showing skills as a 3rd down back didn't help him either.

Meh. I never have given Yeldon much hope of making the team. He is an irrelevance to me. 

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, thebandit27 said:

That pass hit him in the hands, in stride. A mediocre NFL WR catches it 9/10 times.

Exactly.  I can't believe the nitpicking over the placement of that throw.  Does anyone watch throws Brady/Brees make?  They're not all perfect, folks.  Your receivers need to make plays when the football hits them in the hands.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I mean, sure he could have led him a little more than that, but it pretty much hit him dead on. He didn't have to reach back for it or anything. Ignoring the incoming tackler that might have been able to knock it loose, this is a very easy catch.

zay.JPG

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

It was not behind him.  He hit him exactly where it's supposed to go.  He had the momentum going towards the endzone and he stopped it himself when he dropped it.

If he throws it "more in the hole" as you say...that safety crushes him.  He's already lowering that shoulder.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1