Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

Lots of good, and some not so great things we can take from that game. Allen continues to develop a better awareness with the mental aspect of the game. He has looked more in command each time he’s been on field since late last season. 

Zay is a guy I’m concerned about. It seems like popular opinion regarding Zay’s performance has swayed in his favor since his rookie year. He’s made great progress since that season, but I still don’t trust him. Zay has always been best suited for the slot position. Slot receivers need to be sure handed. Zay doesn’t possess big play ability to make up for errors such as the red zone drop where he heard footsteps in the secondary. Those are huge plays when the games get real. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

The one inaccurate pass he threw was the low ball to Jones, and he said he wanted to bring it in lo w so the defender couldn't come over the top to knock it down.

Basing your disappointment on an N of 1 doesn't cut it. 

He underthrew brown, and overthrew the TE.  The Zay pass into the dirt and Zay drop are a wash.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

I was disappointed in Allen's accuracy. I see no difference from last year. I even felt worse after I saw Kyler Murray throw the ball, he's damn accurate.

Allen's accuracy HAS to improve if this whole thing is going to work out.

You mean like the one he threw perfectly to Zay near the goalline that he dropped?

I feel like the preseason games don't mean as much as they should as far as roster decisions go. How many times have we seen a guy like Brandon Reilly pile up numbers in the second half of these games, only to get cut anyway? I feel like that's what's probably going to happen with McKenzie and Wade. Shining in the second half of a preseason game doesn't seem to get you anywhere, because if the coaching staff thought you were better, they would have played you earlier in the game. 

Just now, matter2003 said:

Allen threw a perfect strike to Jones near the goal line that he dropped...gotta catch that ball.

Yeah, we’ve all seen that movie a few times before. Personally, I’ve seen enough from Zay. I really need to see something more the rest of the preseason. With that said, it’s highly likely this regime will part with Zay before his contract is up. He’s always felt like a liability on the field imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

I was disappointed in Allen's accuracy. I see no difference from last year. I even felt worse after I saw Kyler Murray throw the ball, he's damn accurate.

Allen's accuracy HAS to improve if this whole thing is going to work out.

You had to quit school in 9th grade to help bring money in for the family, right??

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're supposed to snap the ball at the QB’s numbers.

A 6”5 and 6”2 doesn’t make that much of a difference.  Unless you think Bodine has zero depth perception.  Or he’s dyslexic. 

“Well, Barkley is 3 inches shorter so I should snap it 3 feet higher”

Bodine doesn’t do anything better.  He went from starting the majority of the season last year to 3rd string this year.  He was demoted 2 levels because he’s terrible.

QBs also stand at different intervals behind the QB.

All I am saying is that Bodine has been playing almost exclusively with Allen for the last 40 weeks.  For there to me a snap issue when they was a change, is not unexpected.

Just wait till Morse gets back in and there are snapping issues.  100% there will be.  There was already issues in TC with Morse and Allen.

Good recap Gunner...I think we saw a lot of the same things.  When I see a Buffalo News headline this morning that reads "Allen Unspectacular" and a D&C headline that reads "The Wrong QB Looked Great" I just sort of shake my head.  Did Allen light it up?  Of course not.  But if you remove the holding penalty and Zay catches that last pass Josh's stat line would read 8/12 with a TD.  I think he only threw one "bad" pass -- the 3rd down effort to Zay -- and the other three incompletions were a throwaway, an overthrow downfield, and a miscommunication.  He looked decisive and accurate with his checkdowns and short passing game.  I love the fact that Barkley looks solid as the #2.  Zay needs to start worrying if he can't hang onto the football.

I may disagree with you a bit regarding Singletary.  No, his YPC were not good, but he showed the quickness and shiftiness we were told about.  It looks like his hands are reliable as well.

All in all a pretty good start to the season by these Bills.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, skibum said:

I feel like the preseason games don't mean as much as they should as far as roster decisions go. How many times have we seen a guy like Brandon Reilly pile up numbers in the second half of these games, only to get cut anyway? I feel like that's what's probably going to happen with McKenzie and Wade. Shining in the second half of a preseason game doesn't seem to get you anywhere, because if the coaching staff thought you were better, they would have played you earlier in the game. 

I think you are right. I think that this coaching staff values practice much more than it values performance in a vanilla offense in pre-season. That being said McKenzie is legit in the competition for the final roster spot at WR. Wade I don't think is in competition for anything. He gets a practice squad expemption for the year as part of the pathway programme and I expect the Bills to give him the chance to stick for the year as a result but the likelihood is he does that, has a year on the PS and then is released next year in cut downs. 

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is a guys we signed as an UDFA out of LSU after the 2018 draft, had on our practice squad and have worked with, developed, coached up.... if he ends up making a serious contribution it says a LOT about our defensive coaching staff. And all of it good. 

I'd like to see what Wade can do after a year on the practice squad. He seems to have NFL traits, just zero experience playing the game.

I think this is the best all around coaching staff Buffalo has had in the last 20 years. I don't think there's a weak link.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Tremaine looked to be playing much faster. 

I focused on Edmunds a lot on my rewatch and I agree, he was flying all over the field. Compared to last year's preseason it was night and day. Oliver and Lotulelei were keeping him clean too. If he makes a big jump this year, along with the addition of Oliver and a deeper secondary, this defense is going to be ferocious.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

I may disagree with you a bit regarding Singletary.  No, his YPC were not good, but he showed the quickness and shiftiness we were told about.  It looks like his hands are reliable as well.

He looked like a good 3rd down back. That is what I think he is at this stage. As I said it wasn't really a bad night for him... it was a bad night for those who think he is going to be the starter some time very soon. He isn't there yet as a three down back. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

You mean like the one he threw perfectly to Zay near the goalline that he dropped?

I think everyone thought Foster was going to replace Jones, but it looks like Foster has regressed.

Edited by AllenLongBall

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Speaking of depth. I think for the first time in a long time there are going to be players that get cut from Bill and immediately find work in the NFL. And that is a testament to the depth this team is developing. There are still thin position groups but nothing like in years past. 

This was very noticeable, especially on Defense.  We will win most if not all of our pre-season games this year (which obviously means nothing) because our 2nd and 3rd string players will be a bit better than the scrubs other teams roll out there in the second half.  This has not been the case in previous seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

That 2 yard line pass to Zay was behind him. If it's out in front it's a touchdown.

Disagree.  That was an incredibly catchable pass.  I don't know if he lost it in the sun, or feared the contact - but any wide receiver should be able to catch that pass. If anything leading him more might lead to a pick.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1