Future of the Bills Run Game

HardyBoy

14 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

A potential 4th string RB must offer something on Special Teams in order to secure a roster spot, especially in this case. They cab essentially keep 5 RBs to start the year, 4 on the active roster with Wade protected to the practice squad. They could always activate him in the active roster if they wanted and release the fourth guy, but that's not happening this year. 

You say it's easy to come in an run but playing RB is so much more than just running with the ball. Pass pro, blitz pickup, situational awareness, etc. 

He may be an amazing athlete, but with the international program essentially gifting the Bills a 54th roster spot, there is zero reason for him to be on the 53

I know we already have guys competing for jobs in the return game, but that run by Wade last night sure makes me want to see him get  a few cracks at it in preseason. The rugby dude is used to running through chaos! 

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't require the CJ Spiller speed guy anymore. Or even the Shady "juke" the defender style. I like Devin's straight ahead plan. He may not get the 50 yard HR play often, but I think he'll be that 4-5 yard grinder who can make guys miss.

Yep he reminds me as a mix of Travis Henry and Le’Veon bell. 

Why all the hype for Singletary after the Colts game? I watched all his runs.  I saw nothing special.  He broke one maybe two tackles.  He was hesitant to hit the hole on his first few carries.  By all accounts he has looked good in practice but first game action was pedestrian.  I'm not even really saying he was bad but the board and the media made it seem like he was all world.  Hope he can get better.  If this is as good as he can be, he will be lucky to dress for most games.  It will be Shady, Gore, and either Yeldon/Murphy that dress.  I have not heard of him contributing on special teams. 

It's his first 6 carries, and the final three were better than the first three.  So hopefully we will see more as the preseason progresses. 

57 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Why all the hype for Singletary after the Colts game? I watched all his runs.  I saw nothing special.  He broke one maybe two tackles.  He was hesitant to hit the hole on his first few carries.  By all accounts he has looked good in practice but first game action was pedestrian.  I'm not even really saying he was bad but the board and the media made it seem like he was all world.  Hope he can get better.  If this is as good as he can be, he will be lucky to dress for most games.  It will be Shady, Gore, and either Yeldon/Murphy that dress.  I have not heard of him contributing on special teams. 

It's his first 6 carries, and the final three were better than the first three.  So hopefully we will see more as the preseason progresses. 

Devin Singletary will be an All-Time great Bills' RB if he remains relatively healthy for a career and the Bills' are able to maintain a good to great O-line. 

Didn't know there was much hype after his first game, but it's evident why people would be excited after watching the first preseason game. 

Wade cannot play in the regular season this year. He is relegated to PS only this year, as a granted "11th player" per league rule. He cannot be signed by another team at any point this year. 

At this point, rb#4 is between Yeldon and Perry. I expect to see Shady for a series or 2, Singletary for a couple series, then Yeldon and Perry splitting reps throughout the remainder of preseason games #2 &3. Yeldon may have fumbled in game 1, and was possibly an insurance signing pre-draft, but he may offer more than Perry and has experience as a starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2019 at 12:29 PM, TheFunPolice said:

I hope we keep Shady and Gore on the roster. 

This feels like the year we released Fred Jackson. Hope I am wrong but I think we see a surprise cut or trade with either Gore or Shady. I hated the Fred Jackson cut at the time. I thought he had at least one more solid year with us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/9/2019 at 1:43 AM, Seoulful Soul said:

I can see Singletary being the speed back and Wade being a power back with speed.

Add a fullback and I'm with you 100% percent.

It took Singleterry a little bit to get some yardage as the game wore on.  It also was against 3rd and 4th stringers. 

Wade had a great run, but ... it was 1 run.    I've only seen videos or Wade's running in Rugby and I was impressed. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah Wade is a free practice squad spot, it would be lunacy to put him anywhere else for now.

If he has he hands, I'd try him at kick returner for sure, possibly punt but he'd have to show great ball skills for that role.

He sure had an impressive 2nd gear there on his run.   Adrenaline or just natural ability?

7 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Yeah Wade is a free practice squad spot, it would be lunacy to put him anywhere else for now.

If he has he hands, I'd try him at kick returner for sure, possibly punt but he'd have to show great ball skills for that role.

He sure had an impressive 2nd gear there on his run.   Adrenaline or just natural ability?

Look for his Rugby highlights 

natural ability

So according to the guys at hashtag sports, Wade can be placed on the practice squad without having to go through waivers, and being eligible to be claimed by others. He would be an exempt 11th player on the practice squad who cannot be signed by anyone else. That has to be done before the season, and if that happens, he is unable to play the entire season.

Otherwise, they can put him on the active roster, at which point he loses the exemption, would need to clear waivers if he gets cut to go on the practice squad, and any other team can claim him off the practice squad.

I think he's on a ine year deal too, so just because they develop him this year on the practice squad, doesn't mean Wade signs here again next year.

I think they should try him on kick returns during the preseason, but punt returns as I think I saw mentioned earlier is a little crazy, he'll get blown up.

On 8/10/2019 at 6:05 PM, BurpleBull said:

Devin Singletary will be an All-Time great Bills' RB if he remains relatively healthy for a career and the Bills' are able to maintain a good to great O-line. 

Didn't know there was much hype after his first game, but it's evident why people would be excited after watching the first preseason game. 

Please explain?  Why are you excited after watching 3 yards per carry?  He will get more carries and I will keep an open mind.  It's still Shady's team.  Barring injury to Shady or Gore, I'd be shocked if Singletary got 75 carries this season.  If he continues to impress in the pass game, he might get 100 to 120 touches on offense. 

On 8/11/2019 at 7:04 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

This feels like the year we released Fred Jackson. Hope I am wrong but I think we see a surprise cut or trade with either Gore or Shady. I hated the Fred Jackson cut at the time. I thought he had at least one more solid year with us.

He was done.  He was a great Bill but he did next to nothing in Seattle

9 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Please explain?  Why are you excited after watching 3 yards per carry?  He will get more carries and I will keep an open mind.  It's still Shady's team.  Barring injury to Shady or Gore, I'd be shocked if Singletary got 75 carries this season.  If he continues to impress in the pass game, he might get 100 to 120 touches on offense. 

I guess you'll just have to be last to get onboard, after it's become abundantly clear how integral Devin Singletary is to the Bills' success; most of the positive attributes that he brings to the team were on display versus the Colts.

I'm not saying you have some agenda to take away from what Devin Singletary brings to the table, but you seem to be trying really hard to not see what he brings to the table; maybe that's why you made mention of his last three carries being better than his first three (his 3rd and 5th carries were arguably his best), as if that has any bearing on anything. Perhaps you just have an affinity for LeSean McCoythat might explain you stating, "It's still Shady's team", as if consensus is that McCoy's status on the team is currently being threatened by Singletary. 

Singletary displayed the same attributes found in his FAU highlight reels; he showed the excellent vision and ability to slip tackles. He also showed the ability to catch the ball: something he did very little of in college. 

Devin Singletary set the Bills' up for 2nd-and short rushing the ball, 3rd-and-manageable after a 2nd-and-10, and accounted for four of the Bills' eleven first downs by the time he exited the ballgame (two rushing and two receiving). 

My biggest concern was Singletary's ability as a pass protector given his size, but during the broadcast it was mentioned that Sean McDermott didn't see it as a point of concern because Singletary had shown well in that area during camp. 

I haven't felt as confident in a Bills' running back going for positive yardage each time he touched the ball since Fred Jackson; if Singletary holds up in each  of the areas mentioned, then there would be absolutely no reason to keep him off of the field, or reason to believe that he wouldn't be an All-Time great Bills' RB when his career was all said and done. 

On 8/8/2019 at 11:43 PM, Seoulful Soul said:

I can see Singletary being the speed back and Wade being a power back with speed.

Add a fullback and I'm with you 100% percent.

Singletary is not that fast. He'll have trouble getting to the outside, but is shifty enough to make guys miss. I think he should be used primarily on inside runs.

Let's hope nobody gets injured at RB (obviously). But as stacked as the RB room looks now, let's say Shady tweaks a hammy

Then its:

Gore

Singletary

Those are your top 2. Who's carrying the load 20+ carries a game? What if one of them gets banged up a bit?

You need all the good RBs you can get, and IMO Shady on this team is worth more than a mid to low round pick in 2020, when the Bills will be selecting 32nd in that round anyway. 

I'd like to think otherwise, but I don't think Singletary will ever be a bell cow. He's not a bruiser, and even Marcus Murphy seems to be faster. Next year, I think we'll have to add a speed back and more of a bruiser, but Singletary will always be a solid piece. I think we're probably looking at two new backs next year to go along with Singletary and Wade.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 1:06 AM, Dadonkadonk said:

70 yds on 4 carries...pretty damn good.

• Like (+1) 1