Future of the Bills Run Game

HardyBoy

10 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I wasn't a fan of Singletary in this game. His run on 2nd and 5 in that second series was bad. Line got a nice push with so much open field out to the right. Prime Shady would have turned that into a 20 yard run. Singletary instead hesitates and then runs straight ahead into their DE. One rushing attempt doesn't make a career but that one left an impression. 

Is that the play where the DE grabbed his leg as Singletary was trying to turn the corner? 

17 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Is that the play where the DE grabbed his leg as Singletary was trying to turn the corner? 

No. it happened at 7:50 in the first quarter. 

Edited by VW82

On 8/9/2019 at 1:21 PM, row_33 said:

They haven’t bothered using one TE out there for almost 25 seasons.

“They” being the owners GM, and coaches haven’t been here for twenty five seasons, you gotta narrow it down a bit if you want to be taken seriously, oh I forgot you’re one of those Uber up beat posters...?

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

On 8/8/2019 at 10:31 PM, HardyBoy said:

An inside run game with Singletary, two tight ends and a fullback is crazy exciting. If you have a back who can set up runs in space, with two unaccounted for blockers, you're taking potentialy 20 yards in chunks.

Also, I've said it before, I'm big on Wade. I think he has the same set up ability as Singletary just with different angles, though tap the breaks a moment, having to only beat one guy on a very hard to defend angle, and a full field open after isn't really fair. Might be hard to sneak him on the practice squad, especially if he showing film he's quickly picking up the angles through the rest of preseason.

Kroft, Knox and Sweeney, blocking and catching as an onfield unit, and hopefully Croom makes the team on special teams, because he was a solid target last year and has been developing as a TE, is exciting. You could totally put the four of those guys with any of the backs and this gets exciting. 

Holy crap, we have Shady. I think a more nuanced style would do better, because the three backfield blockers would have the time to reach the key blocks, but it's easy to forget Shady McCoy somehow!

Of course we'll have to see how the the oline prefers to play, that will drive a lot. Very excited to see the run plays this year, if Ford is RG and good, it's the best oline the bills have had in a while.

Can't really sneak anyone on the PS,  teams have to notify the league of these transactions.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:43 AM, Seoulful Soul said:

I can see Singletary being the speed back and Wade being a power back with speed.

Add a fullback and I'm with you 100% percent.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:31 AM, HardyBoy said:

An inside run game with Singletary, two tight ends and a fullback is crazy exciting. If you have a back who can set up runs in space, with two unaccounted for blockers, you're taking potentialy 20 yards in chunks.

Also, I've said it before, I'm big on Wade. I think he has the same set up ability as Singletary just with different angles, though tap the breaks a moment, having to only beat one guy on a very hard to defend angle, and a full field open after isn't really fair. Might be hard to sneak him on the practice squad, especially if he showing film he's quickly picking up the angles through the rest of preseason.

Kroft, Knox and Sweeney, blocking and catching as an onfield unit, and hopefully Croom makes the team on special teams, because he was a solid target last year and has been developing as a TE, is exciting. You could totally put the four of those guys with any of the backs and this gets exciting. 

Holy crap, we have Shady. I think a more nuanced style would do better, because the three backfield blockers would have the time to reach the key blocks, but it's easy to forget Shady McCoy somehow!

Of course we'll have to see how the the oline prefers to play, that will drive a lot. Very excited to see the run plays this year, if Ford is RG and good, it's the best oline the bills have had in a while.

I wish I had a million dollars, because if I did, I'd bet you all that next year's top two RBs are not Singletary and Wade.

I'll give you that Singletary could COMPETE for top RB duties next year. He will in no way be given an uncontested path to the job. You're likely looking at them bringing in (given no more shady or Gore) one or two quality backs, either through free agency or the draft. It has been one preseason game of the guys first season as a pro. I'm not ready to hand him the future of the backfield. 

Wade is a great story, but like I mentioned above, he is in for a long, uphill battle. He's going to been to make a splash via the PS this year. Regardless of what he does, he isn't going to enter camp next year as a top option. 

22 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I hope we keep Shady and Gore on the roster. 

RBs always get banged up during the season. It wasn't that long ago that we went from having a packed RB corps of Spiller and Jackson and someone else I can't remember to calling guys up from the practice squad early in the season due to injuries at RB. 

Shady, Gore, and Singletary would be a nice top 3, with a 4th back kept up for depth. I don't see or get the desire to trade McCoy, no matter how good Singletary looks. He can look amazing and then tweak a hammy in week 3 and then it's all on Gore and whoever if Shady is gone. If Shady is here then we would have 2 very capable backs still. 

When you're probably only going to get a 4th rounder or less for McCoy I say keep him. He's more valuable than that. 

Given Shady's injury history, and for all the reasons you mentioned, I think they'd be insane to not carry both of them through the season. Playing time is a different story. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gore or Shady a non-injury inactive at some point throughout the year. No reason to force feed these guys the ball, but all the reason to keep as many good players around as possible. 

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I’d be quite surprised if Wade made the team. I’d also be surprised if he made any team after that.

Nice story for sure but it’s an uphill battle.

Singletary is going to be deadly though.

I'm anxious to see how he does after a few more games. RB is the easiest position to come in green and excel at.

He has natural ability. Hand him the ball and run Forest run!

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

I wasn't a fan of Singletary in this game. His run on 2nd and 5 in that second series was bad. Line got a nice push with so much open field out to the right. Prime Shady would have turned that into a 20 yard run. Singletary instead hesitates and then runs straight ahead into their DE. One rushing attempt doesn't make a career but that one left an impression. 

I finally got to see that clip.  This isn't accurate. The LB sealed the edge; he was unblocked. There was no outside to break it to.  

Just now, Fan in San Diego said:

I'm anxious to see how he does after a few more games. RB is the easiest position to come in green and excel at.

He has athletic ability no doubt.

And he showed great speed and ability to run straight on Thursday.

22 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I finally got to see that clip.  This isn't accurate. The LB sealed the edge; he was unblocked. There was no outside to break it to.  

I’ve watched the play multiple times now. It’s at 7:50 of the first quarter. There was tones of daylight out to the right but Singletary hesitated then ran straight ahead instead of bouncing it wide for a first down.

It’s only one run . He looked better in the passing game than I thought he would for a rookie. Let’s see what he becomes.

6 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I’ve watched the play multiple times now. It’s at 7:50 of the first quarter. There was tones of daylight out to the right but Singletary hesitated then ran straight ahead instead of bouncing it wide for a first down.

It’s only one run . He looked better in the passing game than I thought he would for a rookie. Let’s see what he becomes.

It is sort of an optical illusion.  That is what I saw the first go around.  Then I watched a second time and realized the LB had come through clean.  The guy blocking him embarrassingly fell to his feet.  That is why Singletary cut back in. 

On 8/9/2019 at 1:40 AM, JoPar_v2 said:

Let's just hope we have 2 tight ends healthy at any given time. 

On a positive note..Unger from CH 7 said Croom practiced yesterday.

55 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I would keep Shady, Gore, Wade and Singletary.

I need to see if Wade can block before I make a decision..

4 hours ago, VW82 said:

Darn it! And I has hoping for the second coming of Thurman Thomas in his first NFL action as rookie. Maybe he'll learn and impress by the season opener.

2 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

A potential 4th string RB must offer something on Special Teams in order to secure a roster spot, especially in this case. They cab essentially keep 5 RBs to start the year, 4 on the active roster with Wade protected to the practice squad. They could always activate him in the active roster if they wanted and release the fourth guy, but that's not happening this year. 

You say it's easy to come in an run but playing RB is so much more than just running with the ball. Pass pro, blitz pickup, situational awareness, etc. 

He may be an amazing athlete, but with the international program essentially gifting the Bills a 54th roster spot, there is zero reason for him to be on the 53