Future of the Bills Run Game

HardyBoy

An inside run game with Singletary, two tight ends and a fullback is crazy exciting. If you have a back who can set up runs in space, with two unaccounted for blockers, you're taking potentialy 20 yards in chunks.

Also, I've said it before, I'm big on Wade. I think he has the same set up ability as Singletary just with different angles, though tap the breaks a moment, having to only beat one guy on a very hard to defend angle, and a full field open after isn't really fair. Might be hard to sneak him on the practice squad, especially if he showing film he's quickly picking up the angles through the rest of preseason.

Kroft, Knox and Sweeney, blocking and catching as an onfield unit, and hopefully Croom makes the team on special teams, because he was a solid target last year and has been developing as a TE, is exciting. You could totally put the four of those guys with any of the backs and this gets exciting. 

Holy crap, we have Shady. I think a more nuanced style would do better, because the three backfield blockers would have the time to reach the key blocks, but it's easy to forget Shady McCoy somehow!

Of course we'll have to see how the the oline prefers to play, that will drive a lot. Very excited to see the run plays this year, if Ford is RG and good, it's the best oline the bills have had in a while.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Seoulful Soul said:

I can see Singletary being the speed back and Wade being a power back with speed.

Add a fullback and I'm with you 100% percent.

Singletary looked like Shady-lite once he got going. Little worried at first - first couple of carries he looked like he got caught up in the wash too quickly and went down right away. Then he started bouncing off everybody.

2 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Singletary looked like Shady-lite once he got going. Little worried at first - first couple of carries he looked like he got caught up in the wash too quickly and went down right away. Then he started bouncing off everybody.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed it.

48 minutes ago, Seoulful Soul said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed it.

2 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

He's not very fast but has excellent vision and catches the ball better than expected.  Some guys just know how to avoid hits.

Singletary showed lots of patience, vision, that he could break tackles, slipperiness and that he could catch the rock.   By the end of season, he will be getting the most touches out of all the RB's. 

Wade has an uphill battle.  Love his explosiveness but I'd be surprised if he made the final roster.  

3 hours ago, Seoulful Soul said:

I can see Singletary being the speed back and Wade being a power back with speed.

Add a fullback and I'm with you 100% percent.

Did we forget two gentlemen McCoy and Gore ?

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

He's not very fast but has excellent vision and catches the ball better than expected.  Some guys just know how to avoid hits.

This will be a problem.  NFL is all about speed.  The LBs will close in on him very quickly.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Did we forget two gentlemen McCoy and Gore ?

This will be a problem.  NFL is all about speed.  The LBs will close in on him very quickly.  

He may not get the edge to the sideline on a sweep or pitch but he is fast enough to be a player. His game is all about being slippery between the tackles and using his vision and elusiveness to get  chunks and move the chains. He's not a home run hitter.

3 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I doubt Wade makes the team.

You're probably right. Would like to see him get more carries against the opposing teams second string.

I think this season will be the Shady/Gore farewell tour, at least in Buffalo.

Next season, I believe we see Devin Singletary as the lead back. As far as his backups? More draftees, free agents, or perhaps a Christian Wade who has had a season to marinate on the practice squad.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I think this season will be the Shady/Gore farewell tour, at least in Buffalo.

Next season, I believe we see Devin Singletary as the lead back. As far as his backups? More draftees, free agents, or perhaps a Christian Wade who has had a season to marinate on the practice squad.

Wade is a free PS member and he's going there. Clearly they were excited to get him "a few touches" the first of which was a monster run, after he almost fumbled.  He's nowhere near ready, not even close. 

My suspicion is you will see Shady and Singletary basically alternate and Gore will be the thumper/change of pace guy.  I don't see Yeldon making the team, unless they are going to do it purely based on next year's roster.  I just don't see it.  I think they had little intention of drafting a back this year and it happened to fall the best guy on their board was Singletary.  I can't say yet if I see what they see in him, I don't see the burst to be a good starter in the NFL, but he could prove me wrong.  Either way, no ST play from Yeldon and the fact hes not all that special anyway, leads me to think he's going to get caught in the numbers, barring an injury or trade of course. I could see them pulling a late round pick out of him or Gore for that matter.   The other guys are effective and valueable elsewhere, its unlikely you are going to get much out of a 4th RB when you have 2 HOF players and a highly regarded rookie in front of them, so they better play ST.   

Next year Wade has to stick or he's done, 29 yrs old and don't have the skill set down? You are done.   He looks like he could be a helluva return guy, so maybe he has some value there too.

I hope we keep Shady and Gore on the roster. 

RBs always get banged up during the season. It wasn't that long ago that we went from having a packed RB corps of Spiller and Jackson and someone else I can't remember to calling guys up from the practice squad early in the season due to injuries at RB. 

Shady, Gore, and Singletary would be a nice top 3, with a 4th back kept up for depth. I don't see or get the desire to trade McCoy, no matter how good Singletary looks. He can look amazing and then tweak a hammy in week 3 and then it's all on Gore and whoever if Shady is gone. If Shady is here then we would have 2 very capable backs still. 

When you're probably only going to get a 4th rounder or less for McCoy I say keep him. He's more valuable than that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well, I think our run game is going to be very important going forward. Singletary is a huge piece to this offense, we didn’t bring in a bunch of road graders for nothing. I think Allen will not be able to carry our offense on his arm alone, so I think we are going to be a run first team until Allen comes into his own and simmers down a little bit. Maybe towards the end of the year we evolve more into a pass happy offense as Allen matures, but for now I think a strong running game will be Allen’s best friend. Pound the ball, play good defense and bring Allen along nice and slow.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2019 at 1:43 AM, billsbackto81 said:

I don't require the CJ Spiller speed guy anymore. Or even the Shady "juke" the defender style. I like Devin's straight ahead plan. He may not get the 50 yard HR play often, but I think he'll be that 4-5 yard grinder who can make guys miss.

I wasn't a fan of Singletary in this game. His run on 2nd and 5 in that second series was bad. Line got a nice push with so much open field out to the right. Prime Shady would have turned that into a 20 yard run. Singletary instead hesitates and then runs straight ahead into their DE. One rushing attempt doesn't make a career but that one left an impression. 

8 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I wasn't a fan of Singletary in this game. His run on 2nd and 5 in that second series was bad. Line got a nice push with so much open field out to the right. Prime Shady would have turned that into a 20 yard run. Singletary instead hesitates and then runs straight ahead into their DE. One rushing attempt doesn't make a career but that one left an impression. 

What about all the other good plays?  Did those leave an impression?

• Haha (+1) 1