Chris Wade - muffs the handoff, but my God, what explosiveness

8 hours ago, mannc said:

Which is why “stashing him on the practice squad” might not be such a great idea.  

Its a free stash. Doesn’t take up another spot. If unused on Wade, it goes unused. 

1 hour ago, dubs said:

Its a free stash. Doesn’t take up another spot. If unused on Wade, it goes unused. 

The question is whether another team can sign him to their roster if the Bills cut him/put him on the PS.  Making it a risk to try it.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

The question is whether another team can sign him to their roster if the Bills cut him/put him on the PS.  Making it a risk to try it.

My understanding of all of this is that we can keep Wade on the practice squad in an 11th spot only allowed to be filled by an international player.  If we keep him in that 11th spot, we cannot call him up the entire year, but no other team could pick him up either.  If we stored him on the practice squad without designating him to that specific 11th spot, he would be fair game to any team.

Please correct me if I’m wrong

4 minutes ago, Bruce_Stools said:

My understanding of all of this is that we can keep Wade on the practice squad in an 11th spot only allowed to be filled by an international player.  If we keep him in that 11th spot, we cannot call him up the entire year, but no other team could pick him up either.  If we stored him on the practice squad without designating him to that specific 11th spot, he would be fair game to any team.

Please correct me if I’m wrong

Yeah he can't be activated during the season so I'm sure that means no other team can poach him.  And if he's on the PS, he would 100% be designated.  My question is whether another team could sign him to their PS or roster if the Bills cut him on cutdown day with the intention of putting him on their PS.  I would guess that they could.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah he can't be activated during the season so I'm sure that means no other team can poach him.  And if he's on the PS, he would 100% be designated.  My question is whether another team could sign him to their PS or roster if the Bills cut him on cutdown day with the intention of putting him on their PS.  I would guess that they could.

I would assume so, not sure though

Couple questions about Wade:

1.  Any of you English guys know whether 40 yard dash times (or some equivalent speed test) are available for rugby players like him?  He looked extremely fast, but he was playing against Colts' scrubs, so it would be nice to know just how fast he really is.

2.  Did the Bills have any input about which international development player got assigned to them?  Or was it just blind luck that Wade got assigned to the Bills rather than some other NFL team?

57 minutes ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

1.  Any of you English guys know whether 40 yard dash times (or some equivalent speed test) are available for rugby players like him?  He looked extremely fast, but he was playing against Colts' scrubs, so it would be nice to know just how fast he really is.

2.  Did the Bills have any input about which international development player got assigned to them?  Or was it just blind luck that Wade got assigned to the Bills rather than some other NFL team?

In the interview after the game he said it was 4.52 or 4.53 I think but I mean 40 times can be misleading.

1 hour ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

1. In his locker room interview, one of the reporters asked him if he knew what his 40-time was, if he'd ever been clocked. Christian said that they had a pro day in Tampa for the International players that scouts came to and he was officially clocked at 4.52. But he and the reporter laughed saying he was probably a lot faster than that (from seeing him run that TD).

2. There are four international players allocated to the NFL this year and apparently, the AFC East was picked as a division by random draw to host the 4 players (provided that they weren't first offered a free agent contract from any other NFL team)---per the link below. So, the Jets, Dolphins, and Pats all received an international player as well. So, they pick a division by random draw (maybe rotating out divisions that have recently been part of the program). Once the division is chosen, however, I couldn't find if the NFL just decided which individual player goes to each team in that division or if maybe there is a second random draw on which guy goes to which team in that division. I don't think there is kind of a mini draft, where the teams in that division randomly draw for slots with the team with the 1st spot picking the guy they like best, etc. So, it looks like the Bills had little to no input on who they got, let alone whether they would get a guy in the first place. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025740/article/four-international-players-added-to-rosters-ahead-of-2019-season

Edited by folz

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

No

It's a free allocated PS spot for this season

He is at no risk of being picked up

Yup, got that.  But if the Bills cut him so as to stash him on the PS, another team can sign him to their active roster, right?  So if he shows something, it would be a risk to cut him.

I've been watching Christian Wade playing Rugby at Wasps for many years, and can tell you that the 65-yard touchdown was only a fraction of what this guy can do. You guys really don't know yet what a fantastic prospect you have signed.

There's a reason he was the all-time third highest tryscorer in the Premiership - he has incredible speed, reflexes, and an ability to step of either foot, which makes him very difficult for defenders to get hold of and bring to ground. He scored many tries for Wasps which no other winger would have scored from the position where they received the ball.

He is obviously at a disadvantage having not played college football like the vast majority of NFL players, but I believe he will bring a fresh perspective and new ideas to your game, and if you put him in in the regular season squad, rather than cooling his heels in the practice squad, you just might end up with a better than 6-10 record, into the playoffs, and who knows, a shot at the Superbowl.

9 minutes ago, bargepole said:

I've been watching Christian Wade playing Rugby at Wasps for many years, and can tell you that the 65-yard touchdown was only a fraction of what this guy can do. You guys really don't know yet what a fantastic prospect you have signed.

There's a reason he was the all-time third highest tryscorer in the Premiership - he has incredible speed, reflexes, and an ability to step of either foot, which makes him very difficult for defenders to get hold of and bring to ground. He scored many tries for Wasps which no other winger would have scored from the position where they received the ball.

He is obviously at a disadvantage having not played college football like the vast majority of NFL players, but I believe he will bring a fresh perspective and new ideas to your game, and if you put him in in the regular season squad, rather than cooling his heels in the practice squad, you just might end up with a better than 6-10 record, into the playoffs, and who knows, a shot at the Superbowl.

Good info but this part, i.e. saying he'll carry the Bills to a better record than 6-10 and maybe the SB is fanciful at best.  If they keep him on the active roster, he'll likely be inactive most Sundays or at most play on special teams.  He's got 2 potential HOF RB's ahead of him.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup, got that.  But if the Bills cut him so as to stash him on the PS, another team can sign him to their active roster, right?  So if he shows something, it would be a risk to cut him.

I just looked all over for the official rules and a few articles as well as reporters on Twitter have contradictory reports on it. From reading numerous articles on it, it seems, but I have never seen official NFL statement about it that a bunch of guys trained and tried out for scouts. At that time they could have been signed as free agents. If they weren't, and I don't think any were this time, they are put into the Pathway Program and if the Bills decide to use the 11th spot they don't have to waive him and no one can poach him and he cannot play.

In no article from the NFL or legit source did it ever mention even a chance of making the 53. It seems that Wade cannot play this year no matter what. That doesn't make sense to me, but a lot of these articles over the last three years said same thing. Once in that program he's only eligible for PS and ineligible to play at all this year.