Browns trade Duke Johnson to Texans

23 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Given the type of RB room the Bills have right now, I don't think it's too prudent to cut Yeldon. He proved last year with Fournette out with injuries just how productive he can truly become. Yeldon is absolutely the cushion against age and wear and tear on the two at the top of the RB pile. The one who I think sees less time is Singletary this year. I think he gets a share here and there, but I think they're running him a bunch now so that when the season starts, they don't have to for him to learn the Offense and continue to grow. If all 3 stay healthy, I think he and Yeldon split the "also-ran" duties of the RB chart. 

Cutting Yeldon would be pants on head stupid.  I don't know why there are so many here that seem to be actively cheering for it?

2 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

Looks like he was asking to leave.

Right, everybody knows that, and it meant nothing.  Perhaps it won't backfire on the Browns but it was an unnecessary move that made their RB room weaker to start the season.

This was the guy I wanted buffalo to target months ago before gore and Yeldon. I’m a really big fan of dukes game. He’s never been given much to do besides receiving and he’s really good at it, but the guy can run it too. 

And of course he’s got a very team friendly contract. I think the browns will miss him and he’ll be the lead back in Houston before long. Miller is always hurt and not always very effective. 

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Cutting Yeldon would be pants on head stupid.  I don't know why there are so many here that seem to be actively cheering for it?

Not cheering for it....its just numbers.  Are we gonna make Singletary inactive all season when he has looked so good?

37 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I don't know how wise that is when you have two old RB's and a rookie.

This is kinda the corner they have painted themselves into here......yes the RB's are old but HOF'rs

And then you have Singletary.....who is flashing....meanwhile Yeldon doesnt play special teams

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

It’s a numbers game. No one is cheering for it. At his very best, Yeldon is average. 

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

It’s a numbers game. No one is cheering for it. At his very best, Yeldon is average. 

If the Bills only had some kind of recent experience of keeping a training camp wonder while letting go of someone who had at least some proven track record

47 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Mark my words the whole idea of breaking up an excellent tandem of Chubb and Duke, who complimented each other well, with Kareem Hunt not only sends the exact opposite message you SHOULD be sending to your team, but will backfire tremendously for the Browns. 

Don't blame Duke for wanting out.  That organization just joined the Cowboys and the Raiders in the "we'll take anybody, even the Aholes" club.

Image result for therapy gif

24 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I appreciate your take, but Hilliard having a great camp is different from the proven production of Duke. It remains to be seen what comes of the trade, but calling it a “no-brainer” is a bit premature.

A pissed-off unhappy Duke Johnson isn't the Duke Johnson we're used to so it is a no brainer

16 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

How many roster spots do you think we have?  And how many carries do you think he would get?

Keeping more than 3 running backs would mean sacrificing depth at another position.

Even at this point of their careers, I don't see TJ Yeldon being better than LeSean McCoy or Frank Gore. 

And Devon Singletary is apparently really turning heads at training camp.

Sorry, but the numbers just don't workout for Yeldon.

8 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

How many roster spots do you think we have?  And how many carries do you think he would get?

Keeping more than 3 running backs would mean sacrificing depth at another position.

Even at this point of their careers, I don't see TJ Yeldon being better than LeSean McCoy or Frank Gore. 

And Devon Singletary is apparently really turning heads at training camp.

Sorry, but the numbers just don't workout for Yeldon.

I think that OBD may keep all 4 true RBs and even keep Sinorise Perry as a STer. Due to injuries at TE and Oline they will have some IR/PUP casualties that could be stashed there at season start.  

Might allow them to see Shady/Gore tandem as two down backs and then Yeldon / Singletary at 3rd down back role before trade deadline.  

Meh....had less than 100 touches last year.  

My guess is that the Browns, now with OBJ added to Landry/Calloway/Njoku,  will be moving away from an offense that involves throwing passes to the 3rd string RB.

What were they going to do with Johnson when Hunt came onto the roster?  It has been reported that if he plays 10 games for the Texans, the Browns get a 3rd for him.  He would have little value to them if he stayed as the 3rd string RB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Right, everybody knows that, and it meant nothing.  Perhaps it won't backfire on the Browns but it was an unnecessary move that made their RB room weaker to start the season.

Depends if you believe in what the Bills are doing. They don't want players that want to leave either.

1 hour ago, eball said:

I couldn't agree less.  I think if Singletary shows during the preseason that he is as productive as they think he'll be, Yeldon is out the door.

Obviously, nobody knows but the Bills Coaching staff right now, so you may be right. I just think the way this coaching staff and FO plan things out, they see Singletary as the guy they're grooming to take Shady's spot, but with Shady and Gore manning the two-headed monster and Yeldon being the receiving weapon I think they want on 3rd down, it would seem prudent to have Singletary take a 4th row seat. Again, who knows? 

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Given the type of RB room the Bills have right now, I don't think it's too prudent to cut Yeldon. He proved last year with Fournette out with injuries just how productive he can truly become. Yeldon is absolutely the cushion against age and wear and tear on the two at the top of the RB pile. The one who I think sees less time is Singletary this year. I think he gets a share here and there, but I think they're running him a bunch now so that when the season starts, they don't have to for him to learn the Offense and continue to grow. If all 3 stay healthy, I think he and Yeldon split the "also-ran" duties of the RB chart. 

I think you're correct on this.  I believe the RB combination next season will be Singletary as the lead back and Yeldon being the back up and passing down back.  McCoy and Gore will be gone in 2020, unless McCoy unexpectedly has a huge season.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:42 PM, Buffalo86 said:

Makes me wonder if the Texans are looking to trade for Melvin Gordon.  Duke Johnson would be a cheaper option.  

The Bills would be lucky to fetch a 5th for any RB not named Singletary.

Pow!  The Texans' FO is clearly reading TBD and stealing my ideas.

12 hours ago, njbuff said:

If Watson becomes more accurate underneath, DJ could be quite a weapon in the passing game for them.

Much the way Yeldon should be used by the Bills.

Yeldon fumbled his spot today.

Edited by Just Joshin'

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Not cheering for it....its just numbers.  Are we gonna make Singletary inactive all season when he has looked so good?

This is kinda the corner they have painted themselves into here......yes the RB's are old but HOF'rs

And then you have Singletary.....who is flashing....meanwhile Yeldon doesnt play special teams

Yeldon doesn’t even seem to be as good as Murphy right now. Forget the top 3. I agree that he’s in trouble. Maybe they can trade him for something?

Edited by vincec

12 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I appreciate your take, but Hilliard having a great camp is different from the proven production of Duke. It remains to be seen what comes of the trade, but calling it a “no-brainer” is a bit premature.

Duke had 201 yards rushing and 429 yards receiving last season.  Hardly irreplaceable.