Your first Bills game

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

1977 opener

Miami 13 Buffalo 0

Rained all day.

I lived about a mile & a half away from the stadium (Lakeview Ave off Abbott Rd) and walked to & from that game.  I got home & everything was soaked.  I went to the next home game, a loss to the Jets and never went to another game the rest of that season.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

That was my second game ever.  They honored OJ and the Electric Company before the game

Ah, that game.  I remember OJ saying Let's come back in 10 years and honor the 10th Anniversary of the Bills Super Bowl win and the 30th Anniversary of the 2000 yard season.....................Loved him.  But, then 6 months later, something changed about my perception of him.  

4 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

If it was at the rock pile it was 72 or earlier.

And, it sure wasn't Dennis Shaw in '75.  

I grew up in a football family and had been a huge fan since I was a kid, but didn't make it to a game until I was halfway through college.  I bought tickets for the family as a Christmas gift because the game was the day after Christmas and I would be home on break.  Despite the weather I forced them to go in the spirit of the holiday.  They hated me for it.  :lol:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/the-top-10-coldest-games-in-bills-history-5087866

2. Dec. 26th 1993 – vs. N.Y. Jets, 9 degrees, wind chill of minus-28

What I remember - It was cold as balls

I took pity on the kickers.  Cary Blanchard missed... like... 3 FGs IIRC.  Every punt, kickoff, or field goal attempt echoed through the stadium with this hollow "thud". 

My steaming hot cup of hot chocolate and Jameson's turned into a slushy in the cup in less than 3 minutes.  I literally had no feeling in my right foot by the end of the game. It felt like I was walking directly on my ankle for the mile walk back to the car.  When the car warmed up and the feeling started to come back I wanted nothing more than for it to go away again because it felt like someone was trying to set it on fire with a blow torch.  I must have had nerve damage because the feeling was messed up in parts of my foot for several years before finally slowly getting back to normal.  Good times!  Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

was at rockpile, i was very young, maybe 8 , my two uncles took me.

what i remember most was we parked in a neighborhood driveway, played the jets, the field was muddy and a pillar blocked my view.

then i started collecting coca-cola ? bottle caps with player likeness 

i'm still hooked....+33  year STH

• Like (+1) 1

October 7,1990 Sunday night game. I was 4 rows from the field opposite the tunnel. Bills were losing at the half and came back strong. I’ll never forget Jim Kelly throwing  a 40+ yard bomb to James Lofton in stride....... right in front of us. Nate Odoms had a scoop n score later that game too. 

• Like (+1) 1

1976.  Bills beat the Chiefs 50 to 17 to make them 2 and 2.   It was their last win of the year and OJ and Jeff Kinney both rushed for over 100 yards.  That was a strange season.  A big group of my extended family attended.  Back then they rarely showed home games on local TV so I did not realize that the lower bowl was below ground level.  We went to the Lakeview Smorgasbord on the way home.  It was a very popular place back then with a long line waiting to get in.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Was that the game half the toilets went out in the stadium and everyone was just leaking on the walls along the concourses?

I know that was the game we had to keep our keg in the car, with the heat on so it wouldn’t freeze- true story!

Now that's a Bills fan story if I've ever heard one! :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

If it was at the rock pile it was 72 or earlier.

Yeh I thought it was earlier, but thought the Bills scored more that game.  Must have been '72 then and I would have been eight...  Makes more sense... 

2 hours ago, bbb said:

Ah, that game.  I remember OJ saying Let's come back in 10 years and honor the 10th Anniversary of the Bills Super Bowl win and the 30th Anniversary of the 2000 yard season.....................Loved him.  But, then 6 months later, something changed about my perception of him.  

And, it sure wasn't Dennis Shaw in '75.  

Yeh had to have been 72

• Like (+1) 1

All I remember is seeing at ton of Schmidt’s beer bottles at the rockpile. Early 60s

47 minutes ago, ColeB said:

1971 Bills vs  St Louis Cardinals at the  Rockpile.  Bills lose but Alvin Wyatt has a punt return for a touchdown.

With the funny or weird face mask.

On 8/7/2019 at 4:32 PM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Date: Nov 8, 1970

Against: Bengals at the Rockpile

Score: Bengals 43, Bills 14

What I remember:

This was just after my 8th birthday and I'm pretty sure the tickets were at least part of my birthday present.  We sat in the 2nd row behind the Bills bench.  

In the 2nd quarter, OJ scored for us to take a 14-13 lead.  The Bengals returned the ensuing kickoff for a TD.  OJ returned their kickoff, and got his knee shredded.  They carried him off the field right in front of us.

2621FBAA00000578-2975911-image-a-20_1425

The Bills did nothing the rest of the game, OJ was out for the rest of the season, and we didn't win another game until Nov 28 the next season.  That's right, we went over a year without a win.  It's probably my fault now that I think about it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197011080buf.htm

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Robert Smith photos I assume here.

• Like (+1) 2

I honestly don't remember the exact game, but it would have been some time around 1980.

I do remember my first two major observations from being in the stadium though.

1) It looks much bigger on TV; it seemed small to me in person.  

2) The distance to the goal posts on normal FGs and especially for an extra point, was a joke.  Looks so much farther away on TV!

• Like (+1) 1

It may have been the worst Bills game of all time.  Early 80s, Monday Night game versus the Jets.  The Bills were BAD and the play on the field was ugly.  There was no limit of beer sales and by halftime drunk Bills fans were turning surly.  There were fights all over the stadium and full cups of beer were being thrown all over the place.  Anyone who got out of there that night without wreaking of bad beer had to have been wearing a disposable rain parka, and the weather was dry.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Sep 22, 1963.

Bills vs Kansas City Chiefs.

Tied, 27-27.

We sat behind KC wide receiver Chris Burford's parents.

Nobody knows him on the board.  Wore 88 I think

Bills 27 - Stinkin' Fish 0

Nov 29, 1987

Miami went into the game favored by 1.5

First Miami shutout by any team in five years.

Dan Marino  13 of 28 for 165 - 0 - 3 (eventually pulled in the 4thQ)

Jim Kelly 15 of 21 for 217 - 2 - 0

• Like (+1) 1