Your first Bills game

December 27, 1998 at New Orleans.

I grew up a Bills fan down here, but this was my first chance to actually get to a game. 18 years old, just got my drivers license just in time for the Bills to come to my home state.

I remember meeting and hanging out with many Bills fans before the game. Growing up I was surrounded by Cowboys, Niners, and Oilers fans. Saints fans didn’t really exist because they were a punchline at the time. It was my first time actually meeting other Bills fans besides myself and I remember being amazed that so many people loved and knew so much about the Bills like I did.

Even though it was the last game of the season and the Bills played their starters only the first half because their playoff position was already locked in, I still had a blast and the Bills won too. I also got to meet Eric Moulds before the game as I had seats right behind the Bills bench.

Another thing I remember is that how much in awe I was by how huge these guys are in person.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, bbb said:

That was the most depressing game ever.  And, my Dad and my friend didn't want to leave for some reason.  I think there were less than 1000 people there when we were still there.  

I had just turned 9 and my brother just turned 5, we watched from the upper deck tunnel for a bit and my dad wisely called it a day at the half. We had ponchos and warm clothes on but it was the worst possible weather, especially for kids.

I’m going from memory here, I think it was 6-3 or something like that at the half, sloppy weather football between two sloppy football teams at its finest!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

1969 home opener at War Memorial vs  Joe Namath and the Jets, fresh off their Super Bowl win. Bills lost 33-19.  OJ Simpson's debut. 10/35 rushing 1 TD. 2/65 receiving.

I was at that game; OJ took a screen for 55 yards and the fans gave the SB Champs a standing ovation!

57 minutes ago, muppy said:

my very first Bills game was the first ever Monday Night football game in Buffalo held at Rich Stadium the date was Oct. 29, 1973: Chiefs 14 at Bills 23 (W) 

I remember vividly we leaving Batavia 4 hours ahead of game time to be able to tailgate and due to the traffic logistical nightmare we didn't make it to our seats until halftime...and many ticket holders didn't get it at all. Huge stink..they just didn't have the traffic patterns figured out at all....

a very distinct memory of that game was a picture posted to the scoreboard of a tantruming toddler with Howard Cosells' head  attached with the caption "You're Our Baby Howard" and they then TV cameras showing he laughing at it..it was classic ?

Was at that game, Howard Cossell out with the crowd leading Juice cheers!

56 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

1971 vs the Johnny Unitas led Baltimore Colts at the Rockpile...the Bills lost like 40-0.   Ugh.

And we think the current Bills are bad; 1968, 1971, 1976, 1977, 1984, 1985 - real bad!

1 hour ago, muppy said:

my very first Bills game was the first ever Monday Night football game in Buffalo held at Rich Stadium the date was Oct. 29, 1973: Chiefs 14 at Bills 23 (W) 

I remember vividly we leaving Batavia 4 hours ahead of game time to be able to tailgate and due to the traffic logistical nightmare we didn't make it to our seats until halftime...and many ticket holders didn't get it at all. Huge stink..they just didn't have the traffic patterns figured out at all....

a very distinct memory of that game was a picture posted to the scoreboard of a tantruming toddler with Howard Cosells' head  attached with the caption "You're Our Baby Howard" and they then TV cameras showing he laughing at it..it was classic ?

Great stuff!

2 hours ago, macaroni said:

My first game was the Bills very first home game. I don't remember who we were playing (I was 9). But I DO remember my first sight of the field, I remember buying fresh roasted peanuts from a cart on Best. I remember my Dad telling me they used to run stock car races in the stadium "back in the day". I remember the greatest day in my life spent with my Dad and older brothers.

Great post, I know the feeling!

Not sure of year(late 90's) or the score, but it was Bills vs the fish, Bills won.... but a moment I'll always remember, it was snowing all game, but 2nd half got so bad we couldn't even see the field/players(after everyplay they were shoveling the yard lines on the field).. the magical part that will always be with me is 50,000+ fans singing together to the song "Let it snow"!!!(without the music playing).. so whoever it was who started singing, getting everyone else to join in, major props to them and thank you for a great moment!! 

• Like (+1) 2

Chiefs at War Memorial Stadium September 1966, MIke Garrett's debut and the Bills got bombed 42 - 20; returned January 1, 1967 for the AFL Championship game the Bills got bombed 31 - 7 and the Chiefs went to the first "World Championship" now known as the Super Bowl!

• Like (+1) 3

December 9, 1973:   https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197312090buf.htm

I went with a friend at Fredonia & I drove.  I think we stopped off at his parents' house in West Seneca before the game.  It was wet, either snowing or raining and the blanket I brought was soaked by the end of the game.  When we got back to the dorm I threw it in the dryer.  OJ went wild rushing for over 200 yards on his way to 2,000 that year.  

We sat in the endzone, my seat was  Sec D, Aisle 3, Row 13 Seat 14-I still have the program and the ticket stub.  The ticket cost $7 and the program was $1.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Year: 1997

Against: Denver at RICH STADIUM

Score: DEN 23 - BUF 20 (OT)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199710260buf.htm

I remember it being cold, windy and rainy.  I also remember being TOTALLY unprepared for said weather.  Attended the game with my buddy who was a Broncos fan.  I met a girl the weekend prior.  She was friends with my buddy's girlfriend.  I ended up bringing the girl I'd just met; girls went shopping while we were at the game.

I just so happened to watch that one on YouTube the other night.  Steve Christie hit the 55 yarder to send it into overtime.  Even though it was a loss it was an exciting game.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

Not sure of year(late 90's) or the score, but it was Bills vs the fish, Bills won.... but a moment I'll always remember, it was snowing all game, but 2nd half got so bad we couldn't even see the field/players(after everyplay they were shoveling the yard lines on the field).. the magical part that will always be with me is 50,000+ fans singing together to the song "Let it snow"!!!(without the music playing).. so whoever it was who started singing, getting everyone else to join in, major props to them and thank you for a great moment!! 

It was Jim Kelly 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

1967 Raiders/ Bills

Image result for war memorial stadium buffalo

Now we’re talking, a bunch of youngsters on these boards

40 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Chiefs at War Memorial Stadium September 1966, MIke Garrett's debut and the Bills got bombed 42 - 20; returned January 1, 1967 for the AFL Championship game the Bills got bombed 31 - 7 and the Chiefs went to the first "World Championship" now known as the Super Bowl!

Feel old now.

• Like (+1) 2

Raiders @ Ralph 

Under the lights with family.... I’m maybe 13

Bills down in the 4th quarter then Explode for 24 points...  

Kelso INT...

Bennett balled....

bomb to Lofton...

ahhhhh. 

I effing love this team 

https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore.html?gid=1990100711

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I had just turned 9 and my brother just turned 5, we watched from the upper deck tunnel for a bit and my dad wisely called it a day at the half. We had ponchos and warm clothes on but it was the worst possible weather, especially for kids.

I’m going from memory here, I think it was 6-3 or something like that at the half, sloppy weather football between two sloppy football teams at its finest!

It really had to be the lowest point ever of the franchise.  I don't know if they had won a game yet that year.  They had previously been on a four year run of being playoff contenders................And, then the weather and the totally empty stadium - they were down to getting 20K at a game, and there really were 500-1000 left late in that game - just made it the worst.  

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Raiders @ Ralph 

Under the lights with family.... I’m maybe 13

Bills down in the 4th quarter then Explode for 24 points...  

Kelso INT...

Bennett balled....

bomb to Lofton...

ahhhhh. 

I effing love this team 

https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore.html?gid=1990100711

It was like a repeat of the Broncos game the week before.  I remember Marv saying those two wins is when he knew they could be a Super Bowl team. 

• Like (+1) 2

1985, Bills vs. Browns. Vince Feragamo was QB. Sam Ruttigliano was the Browns head coach. We were in the first row on the Browns sideline. After the game the Browns were leaving the field and the crowd was jeering them hard because they lost. Now, this is back when they sold beer in glass bottles. Ruttigliano picks up an empty bottle, someone must have tossed onto the field, and whips it as hard as he can against the wall so the glass is flying everywhere. No one got hit with any shrapnel. Was quite entertaining.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was a Pats game at Rich Stadium. It was cold, windy, and snowing. The Bills lost. I think it was 1993 or 1994.

Was that the year, or how much we lost by?  

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Not sure it was my first game but late 70s, Joe Ferguson vs Steve Grogan.  I remember all the kids were lined up the tunnel throwing snowballs at the Pats on their way outta the tunnel.  Security didn’t even try to stop us.  Different times....

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Year: 1994

Against: Chiefs

Score: 44-10 Bills

What you remember:

One play that sticks out is Kelly threw and short out to Reed who took it down the field for about 30-40 yards.

Bennett had a sack coming off the edge.

I got to see both Joe Montana and Marcus Allen.  Allen scored on a 1 yard TD.  I can't remember what Montana did.

Great thread my man!! Enjoy reading through the posts and love the fan base to our bills!!

• Like (+1) 2

i had to look it up. 

September 18, 1960.   Home opener of the Bills' first season.  War Memorial Stadium. 

Denver 27, Bills 21.  

I was 13.  I went with a friend and his father.  All I remember from the game was that the Bills lost and the Broncos wore black and white striped socks.  

The Bills were almost a novelty.  No one expected them to be good, and everyone expected a minor league product that couldn't compare with the NFL. That game, and several of the Bills games that season, confirmed the expectations.  All they had for players that first year were pretty weak NFL rejects and some mediocre rookies.  The NFL rejects were guys who came out of retirement to try it in the new league, or guys who had been marginal in the NFL in the late 50s.    But by '62 the Bills looked like a football team.  They could compete.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, vorpma said:

Aint it the truth!

to your previous question 

Was at that game, Howard Cossell out with the crowd leading Juice cheers!

I don't remember the OJ cheers doesn't mean it didn't happen..I was just so jazzed to have finally gotten in I remember that lol. Cosell was a character and a half it wouldn't surprise me in the least he did that ? I loved the scoreboard kicking baby graphic though it was hysterical

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

i had to look it up. 

September 18, 1960.   Home opener of the Bills' first season.  War Memorial Stadium. 

Denver 27, Bills 21.  

I was 13.  I went with a friend and his father.  All I remember from the game was that the Bills lost and the Broncos wore black and white striped socks.  

The Bills were almost a novelty.  No one expected them to be good, and everyone expected a minor league product that couldn't compare with the NFL. That game, and several of the Bills games that season, confirmed the expectations.  All they had for players that first year were pretty weak NFL rejects and some mediocre rookies.  The NFL rejects were guys who came out of retirement to try it in the new league, or guys who had been marginal in the NFL in the late 50s.    But by '62 the Bills looked like a football team.  They could compete.  

Almost 60 years ago when you were a kid and you had to look it up. I’m just glad I don’t have to worry if you might be a cyborg!