Your first Bills game

Year: 2007 

Opponent: Jets

Score: 17-14 Bills 

It was a nice sunny day in late September in Buffalo. I remember sitting in the end zone, in the lower part.

The Bills got an interception on the Jets last drive to finish the game. It was great seeing the stadium erupt. 

I think I bought season tickets the following season. 

• Like (+1) 2

Vs. St. Louis Cardinals September 1984. Lost 37-7.

I think I had been before that in preseason but that's the first one I remember. I was 6.

My mother let me use her ticket when she'd get pissed off with the team. The Bills won 4 games in 1984 and 85 combined. I went to 3 of them. I got my own ticket in 1989 and had to mow a crap ton of grass to pay for it all the way through 1994-95. Gave up my seat when I went away to school and I've been to maybe 15 games since.

• Like (+1) 1

September 30, 1973, first regular season game at Rich.  Took a bus with our church men's club in Rochester.  They didn't quite have the traffic patterns worked out, so we arrived middle of first quarter.  It was a 9-7 Bills win, on three John Leypoldt field goals.  Jets scored a late TD in the 4th to make it close.

Play I most remember: We were in the upper endzone, tunnel end, and OJ juked about three Jets out of their shorts on his way to 123 yards.  With the endzone view, it was truly poetry in motion.

Box: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197309300buf.htm

NFL Films highlights: 

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

Year: 2007 

Opponent: Jets

Score: 17-14 Bills 

It was a nice sunny day in late September in Buffalo. I remember sitting in the end zone, in the lower part.

The Bills got an interception on the Jets last drive to finish the game. It was great seeing the stadium erupt. 

I think I bought season tickets the following season. 

My first trip to Buffalo (with my wife) for a Bills game!

My first Bills game - as have been many of my Bills games, including last season - was in Indianapolis, 1991: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Year: Dec 1995

Against: Dolphins

Score: 23-20 Bills

What you remember:

Bills made the playoffs with the win

Brian Cox was ejected (the famous double finger salute in the tunnel)

Dean Cain was on the Bills sideline

The people in the lot that offered up their tailgating spot for our car since it was smaller, so they wouldn't lose so much space. 

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1

my very first Bills game was the first ever Monday Night football game in Buffalo held at Rich Stadium the date was Oct. 29, 1973: Chiefs 14 at Bills 23 (W) 

I remember vividly we leaving Batavia 4 hours ahead of game time to be able to tailgate and due to the traffic logistical nightmare we didn't make it to our seats until halftime...and many ticket holders didn't get it at all. Huge stink..they just didn't have the traffic patterns figured out at all....

a very distinct memory of that game was a picture posted to the scoreboard of a tantruming toddler with Howard Cosells' head  attached with the caption "You're Our Baby Howard" and they then TV cameras showing he laughing at it..it was classic ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

my very first Bills game was the first ever Monday Night football game in Buffalo held at Rich Stadium the date was Oct. 29, 1973: Chiefs 14 at Bills 23 (W) 

I remember vividly we leaving Batavia 4 hours ahead of game time to be able to tailgate and due to the traffic logistical nightmare we didn't make it to our seats until halftime...and many ticket holders didn't get it at all. Huge stink..they just didn't have the traffic patterns figured out at all....

a very distinct memory of that game was a picture posted to the scoreboard of a tantruming toddler with Howard Cosells' head  attached with the caption "You're Our Baby Howard" and they then TV cameras showing he laughing at it..it was classic ?

As I recall, the very first game at then Rich Stadium was preseason against the Redskins, and the traffic was a mess! The roads were packed and the lots were all jammed up. We got there late despite thinking we had PLENTY of time.

We were still outside when the opening kickoff took place and the crowd began to roar going into our New Era (had to throw that in!). There was a lot of excitement in the air.........then Herb Mulkey returned the kick for a TD and things went silent......from outside you knew something was very wrong. 

At least.....that’s the way I remember it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

As I recall, the very first game at then Rich Stadium was preseason against the Redskins, and the traffic was a mess! The roads were packed and the lots were all jammed up. We got there late despite thinking we had PLENTY of time.

We were still outside when the opening kickoff took place and the crowd began to roar going into our New Era (had to throw that in!). There was a lot of excitement in the air.........then Herb Mulkey returned the kick for a TD and things went silent......from outside you knew something was very wrong. 

At least.....that’s the way I remember it. 

my first game was the first ever Bills game on Monday Night Football which was a Huge deal and they clearly hadn't figured out traffic even then...eventually they learned how to deal with it but at first it was a MESS yepper. Fun memory. My First Bills game and only NFL game I ever went to with my mother. 

• Like (+1) 2

2014 at home against the Patriots. Bills lost 37-22. The game was forgettable but it was the week that the pegulas took over the team so everyone in the stands had a piece of paper that they were supposed to hold up over their head in order for the stands to spell out "One Buffalo". That was meh, but what was amazing was someone in my section (upper deck by the end zone) made a paper airplane out of the paper that they gave us and threw it and it traveled all the way down from the upper deck and landed in the end zone. My section cheered like we won the game. It was incredible

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, muppy said:

my first game was the first ever Bills game on Monday Night Football which was a Huge deal and they clearly hadn't figured out traffic even then...eventually they learned how to deal with it but at first it was a MESS yepper. Fun memory. My First Bills game and only NFL game I ever went to with my mother. 

I went to a ton of games with my mother in our group. She usually fell asleep. I wish I was kidding. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

First game: we played Jacksonville in 2010 and lost 36-26.  The only thing really memorable was the date: 10/10/10.  No big fights broke out or anything like that.  Kind of a mundane loss to a mediocre team and us Bills fans leaving the stadium thinking “will we ever be good again?”

For anyone who is interested: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201010100buf.htm

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

1969 home opener at War Memorial vs  Joe Namath and the Jets, fresh off their Super Bowl win. Bills lost 33-19.  OJ Simpson's debut. 10/35 rushing 1 TD. 2/65 receiving.

That was my first regular season game, but before that, I was at the start of the great Lions at Bills tradition:

8/05/1968	Bills-	Lions		13	9		Buffalo

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I barely remember the game and have no idea when exactly it was. I remember it was against the San Francisco 49ers. Buffalo got off to what felt like a big lead and Steve Young/Jerry Rice came back to make it close but Buffalo ultimately held on to win.

1998.  Bills were 0-3.  They won this and the next four with Flutie magic!  

2 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

November 1984 Browns at Bills, pissed cold rain all day. 

It’s been all downhill since.

That was the most depressing game ever.  And, my Dad and my friend didn't want to leave for some reason.  I think there were less than 1000 people there when we were still there.  

• Like (+1) 2