Royale with Cheese

Your first Bills game

Early 70s - Rich Stadium was pretty new. I was around ten, so I don't remember much about the game, to be honest, but I was really excited to see my favorite running back. I think his name was Orenthal something or other.

I come from a family of Browns' fans (the Bills didn't exist when Dad and my older siblings were young), but I liked the Bills, so my sister and brother-in-law took me to a few Bills games. (They also took me to some Braves and Sabres games at The Aud.)

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

1981 home game...Bills beat Jets 31-0. Ferguson, Cribbs, Butler and Lewis. Lawrence McCutcheon came in late for mop up work.  The Bermuda Triangle was intact. I witnessed several drunken fights in the stands!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 3

My first game was the Bills very first home game. I don't remember who we were playing (I was 9). But I DO remember my first sight of the field, I remember buying fresh roasted peanuts from a cart on Best. I remember my Dad telling me they used to run stock car races in the stadium "back in the day". I remember the greatest day in my life spent with my Dad and older brothers.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I remember that game more than any other in the Bledsoe era.  Parcell's literally would send everyone, jail breaker blitz and we had no idea how to stop it or counter it....all game long.

Yeah I remember him getting hurried and sacked a bunch, the score being 10-6 looks like it was a tough day for both offenses. 

Posted (edited)

Date: Nov 8, 1970

Against: Bengals at the Rockpile

Score: Bengals 43, Bills 14

What I remember:

This was just after my 8th birthday and I'm pretty sure the tickets were at least part of my birthday present.  We sat in the 2nd row behind the Bills bench.  

In the 2nd quarter, OJ scored for us to take a 14-13 lead.  The Bengals returned the ensuing kickoff for a TD.  OJ returned their kickoff, and got his knee shredded.  They carried him off the field right in front of us.

2621FBAA00000578-2975911-image-a-20_1425

The Bills did nothing the rest of the game, OJ was out for the rest of the season, and we didn't win another game until Nov 28 the next season.  That's right, we went over a year without a win.  It's probably my fault now that I think about it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197011080buf.htm

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 4

1980 versus the Jets at home. It was the earlier game and wasn't terribly cold that day. I only remember that I liked Joe Cribbs after that day and that I went from being a closet Steelers fan due to their dominance in the 70's to becoming a raging Bills fan and never looked back. 

• Like (+1) 3

Colts vs. Bills, 1997. Early in the season. I was seven years old. The thing about that game I remember, is we were down 26-0 in the second quarter. Bills came back to win late on a big run by Antowain Smith to take the lead late in the 4th quarter.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, ajmac said:

1980 versus the Jets at home. It was the earlier game and wasn't terribly cold that day. I only remember that I liked Joe Cribbs after that day and that I went from being a closet Steelers fan due to their dominance in the 70's to becoming a raging Bills fan and never looked back. 

Cribbs wasn't the fastest guy, but he was really shifty and quick...he made things happen!

17 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Date: Nov 8, 1970

Against: Bengals at the Rockpile

Score: Bengals 43, Bills 14

What I remember:

This was just after my 8th birthday and I'm pretty sure the tickets were at least part of my birthday present.  We sat in the 2nd row behind the Bills bench.  

In the 2nd quarter, OJ scored for us to take a 14-13 lead.  The Bengals returned the ensuing kickoff for a TD.  OJ returned their kickoff, and got his knee shredded.  They carried him off the field right in front of us.

The Bills did nothing the rest of the game, OJ was out for the rest of the season, and we didn't win another game until Nov 28 the next season.  That's right, we went over a year without a win.  It's probably my fault now that I think about it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197011080buf.htm

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I remember those years as a kid. Hand the ball to OJ...and see what happens.

• Like (+1) 2

I’ve been to more games from ‘64 -‘80 than most of you whippersnappers have been to in your life. Then I got Season tickets.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Bills  vs. L.A Rams Monday night October 16 1989. I was 7. My mom was and still is the coolest!👍

• Like (+1) 4

Posted (edited)

1970 Opener against Broncos Lost 25-10....

I'm old

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 3

Year: 2007 

Opponent: Jets

Score: 17-14 Bills 

It was a nice sunny day in late September in Buffalo. I remember sitting in the end zone, in the lower part.

The Bills got an interception on the Jets last drive to finish the game. It was great seeing the stadium erupt. 

I think I bought season tickets the following season. 

• Like (+1) 2

Vs. St. Louis Cardinals September 1984. Lost 37-7.

I think I had been before that in preseason but that's the first one I remember. I was 6.

My mother let me use her ticket when she'd get pissed off with the team. The Bills won 4 games in 1984 and 85 combined. I went to 3 of them. I got my own ticket in 1989 and had to mow a crap ton of grass to pay for it all the way through 1994-95. Gave up my seat when I went away to school and I've been to maybe 15 games since.

• Like (+1) 1

First game ever played in Rich stadium. Preseason. We kick it off and Herb Mulkee runs it back 100+ yards for the Washington td.

• Like (+1) 2

First game in the Rockpile 1960.  I was 4 years old so don’t have real sharp memories.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

September 30, 1973, first regular season game at Rich.  Took a bus with our church men's club in Rochester.  They didn't quite have the traffic patterns worked out, so we arrived middle of first quarter.  It was a 9-7 Bills win, on three John Leypoldt field goals.  Jets scored a late TD in the 4th to make it close.

Play I most remember: We were in the upper endzone, tunnel end, and OJ juked about three Jets out of their shorts on his way to 123 yards.  With the endzone view, it was truly poetry in motion.

Box: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197309300buf.htm

NFL Films highlights: 

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

Year: 2007 

Opponent: Jets

Score: 17-14 Bills 

It was a nice sunny day in late September in Buffalo. I remember sitting in the end zone, in the lower part.

The Bills got an interception on the Jets last drive to finish the game. It was great seeing the stadium erupt. 

I think I bought season tickets the following season. 

My first trip to Buffalo (with my wife) for a Bills game!

My first Bills game - as have been many of my Bills games, including last season - was in Indianapolis, 1991: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Year: Dec 1995

Against: Dolphins

Score: 23-20 Bills

What you remember:

Bills made the playoffs with the win

Brian Cox was ejected (the famous double finger salute in the tunnel)

Dean Cain was on the Bills sideline

The people in the lot that offered up their tailgating spot for our car since it was smaller, so they wouldn't lose so much space. 

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1

One thing I know for sure about my first Bills game.....we had cardboard tickets, and they worked just fine!   😋

• Like (+1) 3