Your first Bills game

1979 Opener against the Fins as a kid. We blocked a FG and ran it back for our only TD. Sunny first half and torrential downpour in the  2nd half. We lose 9-7 on a last second FG miss by Dempsey.  Painful way to lose but the next year I got to see the tear down tha goalpost Miami game and break the super long Miami losing streak. I remember the crowd noise for the last 2 minutes of that game was like we had won the Super Bowl...

• Like (+1) 1

Opening day 1984. I don't remember the game (21-17 loss to the Pats) as much as the experience. We drove down the night before and camped out in a field just outside the Rich Stadium parking lot, woke up and tailgated all morning. It was great, even for a 13-year old kid who couldn't drink. We were there early enough to greet the players as they arrived (marveling at the swank cars they were driving and just how big these men were), and of course we got some autographs and high fives. Then we threw the football around the parking lot, with random strangers occasionally joining in, cooked out on the grill, talked with other Bills fans, and the whole time Van Miller's voice was hovering in the air, as the pregame show blared out in unison from hundreds of different radios across the lot. It was a great day and definitely put the bug in me.

I do, however,  remember my second game clearly. Later that same year (1984), after the Bills had opened the season with 11 straight losses, they faced a very good Dallas Cowboys team, who sat atop the NFC East. We sat in a very empty upper deck. We had almost an entire section to ourselves. Scattered around were fans with paper bags on their heads (ala the unknown comic, for those who remember him) with "Bills fan" or "0-11" written on them. We knew we were in for another drubbing, but what the hell, the tailgating was still fun. And then on the first play from scrimmage, rookie RB Greg Bell rips off an 85-yard TD run. Bell would go on to have a monster day with 206 yards and 2 TDs. And somehow the defense stymied the Cowgirls, holding them to just 3 points. After 11 games, the Bills were finally victorious, beating Dallas 14-3. The few of us who were there were going mad. It was (to a much lesser extent) like when the Bills broke the playoff drought. A huge, unexpected upset. And 1-11 looked so much better than 0-12. 

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SNICE said:

Not sure it was my first game but late 70s, Joe Ferguson vs Steve Grogan.  I remember all the kids were lined up the tunnel throwing snowballs at the Pats on their way outta the tunnel.  Security didn’t even try to stop us.  Different times....

Even Steve Grogan played the Bills tough! 

8 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Saints @ Bills 12/10/1989

Was snowing like a mofo.  I remember the Bills losing, but I forgot the score before looking it up (it was 22-19).  Only play I remember is a long pass TD from Kelly to Lofton.  He caught it at around the 4 or 5 and then slid into the end zone without being touched by the defender.

I remember they handed out little bags to everyone as they entered the gate.  In the bag was a scarf and a mini pack of Marlboro reds ?

I remember that one. Crappy day all around. Ironhead Hayward ran all over the Bills and some guy named John Fourcade picked their secondary apart. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

11-15-1993 Monday Night 3 Rivers Stadium.

Steelers 23-0. 

What I remember: Terrible fans in that stadium—and the Bills were throttled by an on-point Steeler D and raucous crowd. A bad game to be at as a young Bills fan, all around. 

I was at that game too.  My Birthday

3 minutes ago, joemac1114 said:

Bills Raiders Sept 16, 1974 MNF my first game, it was awesome Bills 21 Raiders 20

it's always my first thought when people ask Best Bills Game Ever?  

Crazy that I remember almost every one of everybody's first games.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I thought it was in 1991 or 92 but it was actually 1993, the Bills played the Colts December 10, 1993. I remember it well because Jeff George got hit hard and the game day cover had OJ Simpson on it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199311210buf.htm

That was my second game ever.  They honored OJ and the Electric Company before the game