7 Year Old's First Game - Preseason? WTF?

Bakin

On 8/7/2019 at 3:11 PM, Bakin said:

I debated this for a long time.  

Do I make my son's first trip to the Ralph a PRESEASON GAME? 

Or do I take him when the place is going to be electric?  Season Opener, Week 4 vs Pats?

My kid is 7, almost 8, and he doesn't REALLY care about the Bills or football like I do...

And since it's my first time as a season ticket holder, and these tickets are NOT selling, so I figured we would head down there and enjoy Kids day.

He should get some special treatment in an easy atmosphere. 

My older son's first game was when he was 6...(Season Opener, vs Dolphins, 2010) with a bunch of rednecks behind us dropping N-bombs all game.  
Not very fun....plus we sucked so bad.  

Don’t allow the kid to invest himself into something that matters not to the real issues of the world. I grew up being taught by my Dad and while I love his intention, it gave me a late start on focusing on the real issues in life. Every second that I had free, I was looking up highlights and stats and watching old Super Bowls. I had such passion. I ask myself every day now, how much further ahead I would be as a caring person if I would have used that energy to learn more of the things that actually matter. I’ve disconnected from sports and taken those video game glasses off as well. Stopped listening to news channels and found the world to be a hot mess. If you want to hide your child from the world, then I suggest you do as you please. If you want to prepare them for the world, let them be creative and explore their inner artist (great way to express yourself). Let them stay curious and be scientific! It will only help them prepare for their future problems. Wish you and your son well!

5 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Don’t allow the kid to invest himself into something that matters not to the real issues of the world. I grew up being taught by my Dad and while I love his intention, it gave me a late start on focusing on the real issues in life. Every second that I had free, I was looking up highlights and stats and watching old Super Bowls. I had such passion. I ask myself every day now, how much further ahead I would be as a caring person if I would have used that energy to learn more of the things that actually matter. I’ve disconnected from sports and taken those video game glasses off as well. Stopped listening to news channels and found the world to be a hot mess. If you want to hide your child from the world, then I suggest you do as you please. If you want to prepare them for the world, let them be creative and explore their inner artist (great way to express yourself). Let them stay curious and be scientific! It will only help them prepare for their future problems. Wish you and your son well!

Balance and moderation are very good things. 

Therapy can help too. (I’m serious!)

2 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

No need for therapy thank you. The more we indulge in meaningless things in this life, the further we are from reality. 

Curious....who decides what is “meaningless”? 

This could go in so many directions. Meaning of life stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Rooting for teams in professional sports is more important to me than religion. 

In like manner, I know that, in the end, none of it will matter. 

Would be great to cheer with my sons for our Bills. 

But ultimately it’s their call. I don’t push too hard. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

No need for therapy thank you. The more we indulge in meaningless things in this life, the further we are from reality. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

sports are hardly meaningless.  they teach a lot of valuable lessons that can be applied to life.  it’s interesting that you find the world a miserable place and sports meaningless yet post here?  

19 hours ago, Bakin said:

We had fun!

it was all about candy...learned a bit about the game. Touchdowns in our end zone in the first half. Fun times. Hard for him to see. Regretting not getting the upper deck seasons. 

Sweet !!!   Glad to here it !! 

ANNOUNCEMENT ! We Have another Bills fan Bills mafia !!?  GO BILLS !!!

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

sports are hardly meaningless.  they teach a lot of valuable lessons that can be applied to life.  it’s interesting that you find the world a miserable place and sports meaningless yet post here?  

I’m just giving the gentleman a different perspective from someone who had the same thing done to him. 

19 hours ago, Bakin said:

Rooting for teams in professional sports is more important to me than religion. 

In like manner, I know that, in the end, none of it will matter. 

Would be great to cheer with my sons for our Bills. 

But ultimately it’s their call. I don’t push too hard. 

Look, I’m not telling you what to do. I’d never do that. I’m simply showing you an example of someone who was in your son’s position before and wished his Dad didn’t push sports on him. It pulled me away from reality my entire childhood. I was so ignorant growing up because my Dad told me to care about “pleasures.” These pleasures left little time for me to learn and develop a greater knowledge base. I took off the virtual reality glasses later to see the world’s problems and America’s appauling problems but I feel so protected and blinded my whole life because of sports. 

A saying goes something like, “if someone doesn’t have a deeper sense of meaning in life they rely on pleasures to distract themselves.” I feel more myself than i’ve ever been because I broke free of it’s distraction. I feel like I have a deeper meaning now.

I love my Dad but I would be better off today if he hadn’t brought me to all of those sporting events and cheered me into joining them. I just wanted to make him happy. I was 8 and loved my Dad. I look back and wish he’d let me explore as I wanted to. Maybe my high school years wouldn’t have been so depressing. 

Just giving you a different perspective from a young adult’s point of view. Have a great day ?

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

Look, I’m not telling you what to do. I’d never do that. I’m simply showing you an example of someone who was in your son’s position before and wished his Dad didn’t push sports on him. It pulled me away from reality my entire childhood. I was so ignorant growing up because my Dad told me to care about “pleasures.” These pleasures left little time for me to learn and develop a greater knowledge base. I took off the virtual reality glasses later to see the world’s problems and America’s appauling problems but I feel so protected and blinded my whole life because of sports. 

A saying goes something like, “if someone doesn’t have a deeper sense of meaning in life they rely on pleasures to distract themselves.” I feel more myself than i’ve ever been because I broke free of it’s distraction. I feel like I have a deeper meaning now.

I love my Dad but I would be better off today if he hadn’t brought me to all of those sporting events and cheered me into joining them. I just wanted to make him happy. I was 8 and loved my Dad. I look back and wish he’d let me explore as I wanted to. Maybe my high school years wouldn’t have been so depressing. 

Just giving you a different perspective from a young adult’s point of view. Have a great day ?

Can I buy pot from you?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

I’m just giving the gentleman a different perspective from someone who had the same thing done to him. 

I dunno man, I appreciate what you're saying, but ultimately there really are a very few actual unique things/concepts in the world, and the variety is just the combination of those things in creative and analogous ways. 

I learned about football from my dad, who passed away from untreatable cancer when he was 49, two weeks after my 21st bday. Going to Webster park on the lake outside of Rochester, walking under the pine trees covered in fresh snow, and thick stillness of the silence, except for our feet in the snow (I can smell the smell of the scarf over my nose right now as I write this)...going home and having my mom make us hot chocolate as we put the Bills game on and we all watched it together with no distractions for 3 hours...

My relationship with my dad wasn't built around the Bills and I never felt that his affection, admiration or love was based on my football knowledge (other things sure to an extent, but not football).

Someone said it before, it's about moderation, and I would take it a step further, it's about generalization. Like I said, the world has certain universal underpinnings that are present everywhere. Things need to go in the right sequence in football for a play to even be able to be run, and that is the case in so many other things. Honestly, unless you're trying to do something incredibly applied, like be a mathemetician or being able to fix massive turbines, you don't need to specialize and would be better served generalizing.

Life really requires looking at things more than just on their face and seeing that everything isn't just connected, but the same pattern is present over and over. You don't have to relearn things, you just need to apply what you already know to a different application.  That is something I learned to do as I got older, because I started being able to see those connections. 

My suggestion, especially because you sound pretty thoughtful and introspective, is to look back on your football experience and see what similarities you can find in your everyday life, and other things you are more interested in now. Kindness comes from empathy, and empathy comes from connection, and connection comes from seeing the staggering sameness in everything when you remove the unimportant table dressings that seek to distract us from that universality...beneath all the different tablecloths, ultimately it's just a table, so might as well jump through it off the top of a van...

17 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

really?

that influenced you in that weird way? You could not find time to expand your scope of knowledge of the world because your dad introduced you to sports?

My father was not into sports in the least. I found it on my own and also still discovered all the worlds negatives and positives from school and news....etc....... sports never influences my view of the real world. Even the players/actors are acting many times when in public for the media attention so it is all just a show. It is just entertainment like a movie, concert, comedian etc etc.......

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, cba fan said:

really?

that influenced you in that weird way? You could not find time to expand your scope of knowledge of the world because your dad introduced you to sports?

My father was not into sports in the least. I found it on my own and also still discovered all the worlds negatives and positives from school and news....etc....... sports never influences my view of the real world. Even the players/actors are acting many times when in public for the media attention so it is all just a show. It is just entertainment like a movie, concert, comedian etc etc.......

My experience too. 

3 brothers and none gave a crap about playing or watching sports. My Dad didnt care in the slightest, either. 

Found it on my own.

I’d memorize baseball stats and plan my Sundays around watching Bills football. 

I would grab the newspaper and go straight to the sports section. 

My Dad would chide me and say ‘why don’t you read the news???’

I would reply ‘I’d rather read about man’s success and achievements than our failures and misery.’  

• Like (+1) 1